Share | 

Accura MR ramrod

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Remi

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Accura MR ramrod   April 27th 2014, 6:52 pm

Barrel of my MR Nitrite is beating the heck out of my ramrod; just ran it down the barrel to clean it out before it's maiden voyage to the range and it got all scratched up. Maybe the Nitride finish is just real hard but is this normal? Never had it happen before on others that I've had with SS barrels. Anyone else have a Nitrite barrel and seeing this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR ramrod   April 27th 2014, 6:59 pm

Pretty typical, its just a painted ramrod like all the others. Nothing you really can do to prevent the paint from scratching off it. A bore guide may help, but its normally a burden to keep on the barrel at all times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR ramrod   April 27th 2014, 7:01 pm

They should have anodized it. I have an aluminum ram rod that's anodized, and it has no scratches.

Typical CVA shotcuts.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1750
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR ramrod   April 28th 2014, 7:57 am

I use separate range rods for loading and cleaning. I only use the MR ramrod for a re-load when hunting. The anodized finishon the rodis tough but will wear with lots of repeated use.

Semper Fi..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Remi

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR ramrod   April 28th 2014, 8:45 am

I was surprised to see it happen so fast; I have only cleaned the barrel to give it an initial cleaning and get the oils and stuff off from it being new - I'd say it's been in and out of the barrel less than 20 times. I believe it's painted as I'm getting black debris from it. I have other another muzzy with an anodized ramrod that still look new after 5 years of use. I thought maybe the Nitride was doing it since it does put a hardened surface on the metal. I suppose it isn't a big deal - just surprised they don't supply their "flagship" models with better quality accessories but as long as the rifle itself is of quality... The ramrod can easily be replaced
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Remi

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR ramrod   May 9th 2014, 8:32 am

Anyone have any suggestions for a range rod? Maybe a good question for Carlos - I'm gonna have a list of stuff I'll need to order in the next couple of weeks from him anyway. Just was curious what you guys are using.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KeithD

Male Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR ramrod   May 9th 2014, 8:59 am

At the range, I use a combination of my rifles ramrod and a Tipton resin rodI bought for my shotgun. I had to get a thread adapter to use with the muzzleloader but it works great.

A cheaper alternative for a muzzleloader would be http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/item.asp?item=18091

Keith

Last edited by KeithD on May 10th 2014, 5:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hudgic

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR ramrod   May 9th 2014, 9:24 pm

Tetra makes a nice rod it is made for an shot gun but works realy we'll for us it has a spinning handle and is made of stainless that is coated several guy on here got them after I posted it in the accessories on this site they r only $29
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Remi

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR ramrod   May 9th 2014, 10:01 pm

I'll check them both out - thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR ramrod   May 10th 2014, 9:24 am

Go to a large welding supply and get a brass braze rod. I use a 3/8" X 36" for my short barrels. An old pool ball makes a good handle as does an antique door knob. Tap one end for jags and cleaning stuff. Drill and tap the ball, thread the rod, JB or epoxy the threads. I even add a cross pin. Use a copper tubing fitting for a centralizer.

I even used 1/4" braze rod to make a rod for carrying in the tubes for a .32 and a shotgun.
TC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accura MR ramrod   

Back to top Go down

Accura MR ramrod
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: