Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 4th 2014, 10:45 am

I just finished cleaning my rifles and I did not find any more of that brown mud like I found yesterday. I swabbed each barrel at least 6 times with very little oil on the patch and they came out 99.9% clean. I then swabbed with Remington oil wipers and coated the outer surface. I'll check them again in a few days. I didn't put any ballistol on them this time.

Ray................ scratch

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 4th 2014, 12:05 pm

I've been doing a test on Ballistol to see if it is rust. I'm convinced now it's just the color of Ballistol that i'm seeing. Not sure why after all these years I thought different?

I'll continue to use it.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 4th 2014, 1:01 pm

For my black powder guns i'll use nothing else but Ballistol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5252
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 4th 2014, 1:02 pm

And I'll continue to use Barricade.  Wink 

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 4th 2014, 1:04 pm

I won't either Spit. I was fooled this time by what I saw, but I just compared the bottle of Ballistol i've been using to a new one I just bought. The old one had gotten darker in color. That's what I was seeing on the patches.

I was baffled when I thought it was rust. I should have known better. My bad.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 4th 2014, 1:07 pm

Bob the Ballistol can be used as medicine as well , don't think Barricade will taste very good... Smile

Yeah I went to look at all my guns today just to be sure , 'cleaned' them but the patches came out clean so I see no reason why I worried in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 4th 2014, 2:33 pm

I wouldn't eat Ballistol. Even though it's basically pharmaceutical mineral oil. It also has acid in it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 5th 2014, 10:33 am

But it works wonders on scratches ,cuts and burns Pete . And it keeps the hands nice and soft  Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 5th 2014, 3:29 pm

From Ballistol,

Hi Jonathan,

One of the forum members hit the nail on the head, Ballistol is drawing out old fouling and corrosion from the pores of the metal. Essentially, when Ballistol has the chance to sit on the metal for longer periods of time, it finds and removes any remaining fouling or corrosion. When you get the “red” patches that appear to be rust colored, often, it is rust, but never caused by Ballistol. Even though we do not see the surface rust in our barrels, often the pores are clogged with pitting from black powder residue. This is very common for black powder firearms, especially vintage models with years of hidden corrosion. With modern firearms, Ballistol tends to turn blue or green in the barrel from a reaction to smokeless powder, lead, and copper. A dirty patch is more of an assurance to me that Ballistol is continuing to protect my firearm, not the converse. Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 5th 2014, 3:40 pm

Thanks Jonathan for posting the info.

Ray...........

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5252
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 10th 2014, 8:52 am

Here are some excerpts of old writings concerning "washing" your gun after firing. (I didn't do the research; I stole it from another forum.)

Bouquet's March to the Ohio, the Forges Road (From the Original Manuscript in the William L. Clements Library), edited by Edward G. Williams: The Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania. p. 103-4.

“After the Arms have been drawn & fired off they must be washed clean and remain unloaded till further Orders."

About 1785
David Thompson’s Narrative of his Explorations in Western America 1784-1812

“The same evening Wm. Budge, a fine handsome man, John Wellam, and the Indian woman were frying pork and grouse for supper, [when] the smell attracted a Polar Bear, who marched to the Tent, and around it, his heavy tread was heard, and no more cooking thought of. As usual in the evening, the fowling pieces were being washed and cleaned, and were then not fit for use, but there was a loaded musquet.”

An Essay on Shooting, Wm. Cleator

114 “There is a curious circumstance attending the shot of barrels, which is, that sometimes the grains of lead, in place of being equally distributed over the space they strike, are thrown in clusters of ten, twelve, fifteen or more, whilst several considerable spaces have not a single grain in them…. Mons de Marolles says, that this is especially the case when the barrels are new and also when they are fresh washed.”

207 “ A fowling-piece should not be fired more than twenty, or five and twenty times, without being washed;”

Instructions to Young Sportsmen in All that Relates to Guns and Shooting, P. Hawker

pg. 47 “Let your barrels be first washed perfectly clean with cold, and then fill each of them with hot water; which by the time it has nearly run out at the touchhole, will accelerate their being wiped dry, as much as though boiling water had been used; and before they have completely discharged the water; stop the muzzles and touchholes; and after shaking it up and down in the barrels, turn it out at the muzzles, by which means you will effectually stir up and expel any extraneous matter that may have lodged in the bottom of the chambers.

“I have recommended washing guns with cold water, from having found that it always more readily removes the foulness occasioned by the powder, which, from sudden heat, is apt, at first, to dray and adhere more closely to the caliber: whereas with cold water, it remains in a moist state, and immediately mixes."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   May 10th 2014, 9:38 am

Interesting ! Now if them old folk only knew of Ballistol it would have helped them a lot  Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   November 25th 2014, 2:36 pm

Are you-guys using a cleaning jag to clean and oil your bore? Or are you using a patched-wrapped wire brush?
To be quite honest, I only use a jag to seat the bullet...... nothing else. Wirebrush cleaning / oiling gets into the grooves, where rust might eventually form over time, when using only a jag.
Back to top Go down
Clyde

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   November 28th 2015, 9:29 am

Guys , I was cleaning my old CVA Frontier carbine yesterday and I had clean patches at first but then I tipped over the rifle so the breech plug area would drain into the barrel sure enough I got a reddish brown patch but then I looked at the green can of ballistoil ( not the Aerisol) and damn if I'm not looking at a hard yellowish substance on the lip of the can and based on the feel and smell its ballistoil so I'm guessing that if you use the pure canned stuff it dries to this yellowish-brown stuff and I must have flushed it into the barrel.  Funny thing though I got this in a rifle that I used Pyrodex in, but the rifle that I had used Olde Enysford in was still clean as a whistle,  I wonder if in a cleaned oiled barrel that was swabbed dry would any remaining pyrodex or its perchlates cause rust that fast 1hr more or less
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   November 28th 2015, 9:33 am

Pyrodex is pretty nasty, and will cause rust pretty fast.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ballistol cleaning   

Back to top Go down

Ballistol cleaning
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: