Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Patchless round balls

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Patchless round balls Empty
PostSubject: Patchless round balls   Patchless round balls EmptyMay 7th 2014, 5:20 pm

I was testing round balls in my Pietta 12 ga. this afternoon and tried various combinations. It turned out that a patched round ball in the left barrel shot to the same POI as a round ball with Spanish moss on both sides.

I shot a .715 round ball with a .012 patch in the left barrel at 25 yards. It hit 3" left and 5" low. Then I shot a .715 round ball with the same powder charge (75 gr. of 2F)  followed by an OS card, a lubricated wad of dead Spanish moss, a .715 round ball, another lubed wad of Spanish moss, and an OS card. It hit 2" left and 5" low.

I don't think the Spanish moss would create a gas seal without a tight fitting card or wad over the powder. I was quite surprised that they both hit in the same area.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10400
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Patchless round balls   Patchless round balls EmptyMay 7th 2014, 5:24 pm

It's hard enough getting one barrel to shoot straight.

Two barrels sound like a challenge. Do you have a good supply of Spanish moss?

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16319
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Patchless round balls   Patchless round balls EmptyMay 7th 2014, 5:42 pm

wow thats good find though! Dry it out, bag it and keep it on hand.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Patchless round balls   Patchless round balls EmptyMay 7th 2014, 5:53 pm

I was advised to only use dead Spanish moss. When it dies it is just a mass of thin black "threads". The live stuff is gray-green color and about 3x thicker per strand.
You have to roll the dead stuff up in a ball and rub it between your hands. All kinds of crap come off it and then I just separate it into little balls about the size of a large marble or about .55 caliber. It seems like it works good.

It's supposed to be the way southern Indians loaded up trade guns.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Dixie Flinter

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Patchless round balls   Patchless round balls EmptyMay 30th 2014, 5:33 pm

My Dad hunted turkeys and doves with muzzleloading shotguns for years.  He started out with an original 10 ga. s x s and preferred green Spanish moss for wadding.  He killed 36 or 38 wild turkeys with the MLs.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Patchless round balls   Patchless round balls EmptyMay 30th 2014, 6:15 pm

I sure have plenty of the 'green' stuff laying around after yesterday's storm. I'll have to give it a try.

Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Patchless round balls   Patchless round balls EmptyMay 30th 2014, 11:16 pm

You can give hornets nesting a try as well .
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Patchless round balls   Patchless round balls EmptyMay 31st 2014, 12:54 pm

I've tried the wasp nest and it didn't do as good as the dead Spanish moss. I haven't seen a paper hornet's nest in several years.

Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Patchless round balls   Patchless round balls EmptyMay 31st 2014, 1:53 pm

We don't get them over here either .....
Back to top Go down

Patchless round balls
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: