And another new old guy - powder question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lilcountry

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2014-05-16

PostSubject: And another new old guy - powder question   May 16th 2014, 6:23 pm

I have been wanting to get into muzzle loading for several years, and just recently I inherited a Remington SS 700 ML. I don't know anything about muzzle loaders, but have learned a lot the last few days reading and watching videos. Any tips or tricks you would like to pass on would be appreciated. To start, can someone tell me the difference in black powder, pyrodex, 777, and Blackhorn 209 - and what should I shoot in my Remington? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilcountry

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 16th 2014, 6:24 pm

I would also appreciate an load suggestions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 16th 2014, 8:05 pm

That gun you have is a very good platform to use if you ever want to get into smokeless muzzleloading. They are selling for a premium due to that.

I would suggest using Blackhorn 209 if your model uses 209 shotgun primers. However, you can never go wrong with the old standby, real black powder. There are many combos you can use depending on what type bullet you want to shoot.
To start off, I would use Harvester Scorpion 260 gr. PT Gold bullets in a black crush rib sabot assuming your gun is .50 cal. A starting load of 80 gr. of BH 209 by volume is good. Work up in 5 gr. increments until you get good groups.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilcountry

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 16th 2014, 8:38 pm

The gun has not been converted to 209. It is 50 ca. From what I have read, it looks like the 209 conversion is a must have. However, I'm going to shoot it with #11s first so I'll know the difference when I upgrade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 16th 2014, 8:48 pm

T7 powder will work good with the #11 caps, and you won't get much a crud ring if at all.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 17th 2014, 12:38 am

Only drawback to using no11's instead of 209's is the fouling due to blowback in the action but otherwise they work just fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
randyray41

Male Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2010-11-26

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 17th 2014, 1:56 am

Lilcountry, welcome to Frontier muzzle loading.   Glad you came over from Doug's message board.   Believe you will get lots of expert help o. Getting your smoker smoking.     

I am sure someone will educate you on muzzle loading.     This board is where I learned.  Lots of good reading here.    

My first advice is have a witness mark.   Surprised I didn't blow my gun up when I first started.  Was loading bullets down dirty barrel and they weren't going all the way down and I was still shooting.     

Mark your ramrod for what you know is empty and then after you load first time mark that as well.   

The easiest way to get started is with pellets.  Drop 2 pellets down barrel (100 grains) , sabot bullet.   I like the Barnes 250 TEZ.   Make sure it's firm against powder.   Load your primer and have some fun.     But you will probably have to swab after ever shot or two.   That's the beauty of black horn.  Now swabbing between shots.    
At the range I always take a bottle of water, dab a patch and swab.   Then one more down dry and ready to shoot again.

Pacnor 24" .45 cal 1:22 twist SML
Harrell Tactical Muzzlebreak
Revolution Laminate Thumbhole Varmit stock
Murphy 20moa SS base
Warne Maxima SS rings
Nikon 4X12x40 BDC
275 Gr Parker Match Hunter
2750 FPS++

CVA Accura V2 .50 cal
Nikon Omega 3X9X40 300 BDC
250 gr Barnes TEz
150 gr T7
2180 FPS

Knight TK200 NWTF
3 1/2" 12 ga  100gr. RS

Pietta 1858  .44 cal 5 1/2" New Army

Last edited by randyray41 on May 17th 2014, 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 17th 2014, 5:25 am

No need to wet the patch with water , just lick the one side to get it moist (not wet) and push that down the barrel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 17th 2014, 8:40 am

Spitfire wrote:
Only drawback to using no11's instead of 209's is the fouling due to blowback in the action but otherwise they work just fine.

A slight amount of blowback is 1000% better than the crud rings that 209 primers give.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 17th 2014, 9:36 am

Yep I agree Pete , got a plunger type in-line that uses no 11's and I'd rather clean the fouling than battle to get a bullet seated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 17th 2014, 10:54 am

Your #11 ignition will work very well with T7 powder, if you want to shoot BH209 the you MUST CONVERT to 209 ignition. #11 is not hot enough for BH209. I can tell you that with the #11 you can do a duplex load & make BH209 work. 10gr of 3F black powder first, then your BH209, & then your bullet/sabot on top will ignite the BH209. That is something I learned from Doc White. However, in my White it didn't prove to be as accurate as T73F loose powder.

Don't forget to swab between shots for the best accuracy with T7

T7 pellets are very very costly when compared to loose T7, they also attract moisture much faster. I would start with 80 grains (by volume) of T7 3F loose powder & go up in 10 grain increments until you find your most accurate load. I'm not sure what the Rem max charge is, but you should see good groups between 80 & 100 grains. I would also suggest using RWS #11 caps. You'll find the proper bullet will be somewhere between 250 & 300 grains. I would do some research & see what combinations Rem 700 shooters are finding to be accurate.

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT

Last edited by GregK on May 17th 2014, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 17th 2014, 11:27 am

Pretty sure that was a typo. He means go up in 10 gr increments.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 17th 2014, 12:04 pm

Muley wrote:
Pretty sure that was a typo. He means go up in 10 gr increments.
Good catch Pete. It was a typo & I just edited it. Thanks again- Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilcountry

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 17th 2014, 8:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am eager to get some rounds down range.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14522
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 17th 2014, 9:04 pm

Welcome to the forum as well Lilcountry!

Its a good gun but can get pricey having it converted to shooting BH209. Give it a try with the #11s and pyrodex, goex or triple 3f, you should get good results with either of those powders.

Keep the breech plug threads lubed with anti seize or teflon tape! Those plugs used to freeze up solid without any lube on them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
lilcountry

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 28th 2014, 12:44 am

Good news and bad news (but not real bad). Went with a friend to sight in a our muzzleloaders and a couple centerfire rifles. Started at 50 yards just to see where we were. I shot 3 rounds with the Remington to check consistency (Hornady 250 gr SST, 100gr T7). First two were 1/2 inch apart. The third went through one of the other holes - couldn't tell with my spotting scope, had to walk down range and look at the back of the target. All were about 3 inches high. The rifle came with a Leupold 3x9 mounted Smile but when I tried to make adjustments the elevation knob would not move either direction. I guess I'll be sending the scope to Leupold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 28th 2014, 7:52 am

Leupold will make it right. They sent me a new scope to replace a model that was discontinued 15 years ago when I couldn't adjust the focus. (The new scope sells for $110 more than the one I sent back plus they sent my old one back too.)  :tup2

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilcountry

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   May 30th 2014, 12:54 pm

I will find out soon. I mailed it today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilcountry

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   June 27th 2014, 6:04 pm

Leupold called me with bad news. They could not repair my 30 year old scope so they had to send me a new one. Very Happy Received it last week. Looking forward to mounting it and getting sited in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14522
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   June 27th 2014, 6:09 pm

hey thats not such a bad deal!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   June 27th 2014, 6:13 pm

Bar none. Leupold has the best customer service.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   June 28th 2014, 7:10 am

That will most definitely not happen over here....they'll have you pay just to tell you the scope is done for !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   June 28th 2014, 9:30 am

What scope company do you have there?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   June 28th 2014, 9:44 am

Pete we don't have a scope company here , we get most stuff imported from the US , Japan and our governments bed cronies the Chinese .

The Chinese stuff is not even worth looking at as it is a bunch of crap.

We get German scopes as well but they are damned expensive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   June 28th 2014, 10:25 am

I misunderstood you then. You would get the same good CS from Leupold if you sent one in.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And another new old guy - powder question   

Back to top Go down

And another new old guy - powder question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: