Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Kentucky Flinter fun!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16318
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Kentucky Flinter fun! Empty
PostSubject: Kentucky Flinter fun!   Kentucky Flinter fun! EmptyMay 26th 2014, 6:20 pm

I've had my flintlock hanging on the wall for a while now, fed up with the black english flints and how they simply do not last in my flintlock. The last one I had lasted 20 some odd shots before it just broke apart into a useless stubby piece of stone. The Pierce flints I used to shoot in this rifle did awesome as well but harder to come by.

I ordered the French Amber Flints and just touched it up once so far in 60+ shots I've taken since they arrived. Its made my flintlock so much enjoyable again that I can't stop shooting her and playing around with different charges.I think the French Ambers will do me just fine for now.

I think I got my charge down now. I used 80gr 2f goex, .020" patch and .490 round balls that I cast. 50 yards I was all over the place with 3f, those are the unmarked holes and as you can see, not worth a darn. The 2f is firing extremely quick whereas the 3f was lagging for some reason. I've installed the Tresco? vent liner from TOW and I like it so far. No complains on the vent.

First shot with the 2f was a little off due to a bit much pan powder. The next 5 however were simply awesome and a load that I will try at 75 yards once I file down my front sight.
Kentucky Flinter fun! IMG_2883_zpsb78dc434
Kentucky Flinter fun! IMG_2878_zps1c6ca9b8
Kentucky Flinter fun! IMG_2885_zps63370041
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

Number of posts : 3690
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Flinter fun!   Kentucky Flinter fun! EmptyMay 26th 2014, 7:49 pm

Looking good buddy Exclamation  Exclamation  Exclamation 

Ray............ t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Flinter fun!   Kentucky Flinter fun! EmptyMay 26th 2014, 9:50 pm

The tan-colored flint I got with my .45 long rifle is still working good after about 35 shots. I haven't got a load figured out yet though. I plan to use between 60 and 80 gr. of 3F and work up in 5 gr. increments. If one group is within 2-3" at 75 yards, I'll probably leave well enough alone.

I just ordered a dozen flints from Rich Pierce. I'll let you you know how they do once I try them.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
WillametteT

WillametteT

Male Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2014-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Flinter fun!   Kentucky Flinter fun! EmptyMay 27th 2014, 2:23 pm

Wow, some nice shooting there! I've been contemplating picking up one of these to give flintlocks a try.
Back to top Go down
Standing Bear

Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Flinter fun!   Kentucky Flinter fun! EmptyMay 27th 2014, 4:14 pm

I bought some of Rich's flints last year and like them.  Then he retired.  so is he making them again?
TC
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky Flinter fun!   Kentucky Flinter fun! EmptyMay 27th 2014, 4:30 pm

@Standing Bear wrote:
I bought some of Rich's flints last year and like them.  Then he retired.  so is he making them again?
TC

Yes, he's back at it.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down

Kentucky Flinter fun!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: