Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Did some shooing today

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2014-03-17

Did some shooing today Empty
PostSubject: Did some shooing today   Did some shooing today EmptyJune 8th 2014, 9:00 pm

But it wasn’t easy.

There hasn’t been a lot of time for shooting lately so today I decided that a gun was going to get dirty no matter what.

The rifle chosen was the Tingle half stock. I usually shoot flint, but Friendship is coming up and I want to shoot the Tingle in the woods walk in the percussion classification.

It’s the second time I’ve owned the same rifle. The first time, I had it five or six years and never shot it. The second time it has had one shooting session before today where I determined it shot really good, but a tad high. The rear sight is adjustable using a ramp, but with the ramp removed it still shot high. A taller front sight was in order.

The stock Tingle front sight is simply a Woodruff key. Getting a regular dovetail style front sight with a higher blade was not the best or easiest option. I added height to the existing sight by filing a small straight edge on the top of the sight and soldering on a short piece of 1/8 inch brass rod. The result looks like a bead front sight when the rifle is sighted.

With the sight installed, I slipped the rifle in a canvas case, grabbed the pouch and horn, and headed off to a nearby range run by the Indiana DNR. Get to the range, carry the rifle rest, spotting scope, targets, rifle, bag, and horn to the bench. Slide the gun out of the case - and realize that the ramrod is laying on the workbench at the shop. No range rod in the trunk, so shooting at the range is something that ain’t gonna happen this day.

Go to the shop and get the ramrod.

As luck would have it, there isn’t a good place to shoot near the shop so I head home where there are a few places I can shoot at gongs. Not as good as shooting paper when you want to find out what a rifle is doing, but it was today or wait until the fall shoot to shoot the Tingle at Friendship.

I have a neat little set up with three gongs of different sizes that are mounted on an easily carried frame that can be stuck in the ground. The biggest is about four inches, the next maybe two inches or so, and the smallest just over an inch. At around 35 or 40 yards and using the top of a fence post for a rest, I nailed the biggest gong almost dead center with the first shot. Switching to the next smallest gong, I hit repeatedly until I got tired of shooting.

It may not be perfect yet, but when shooting gongs on a woods walk an eight is as good as a 10X.

In less than a week I will be shooting a lot for a couple of days at Friendship.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Did some shooing today   Did some shooing today EmptyJune 9th 2014, 7:59 am

But you won't have a fence post .... unless you bring one with and tell them it's your ramrod.  Laughing

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Did some shooing today   Did some shooing today EmptyJune 9th 2014, 10:08 am

At what distances do they shoot at Friendship ?
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Did some shooing today   Did some shooing today EmptyJune 9th 2014, 10:33 am

@patocazador wrote:
But you won't have a fence post .... unless you bring one with and tell them it's your ramrod.  Laughing

True, but if the gong don't clang I'll know it isn't the gun's fault.
In reference to the fence post as a ramrod.
Before yesterday all of the shooting I have managed to squeeze in this year has been with a smoothbore shooting either a .600 or a .648. Those .433s looked like BBs
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Did some shooing today   Did some shooing today EmptyJune 9th 2014, 10:39 am

@Spitfire wrote:
At what distances do they shoot at Friendship ?

On the woods walk it varies, never a set distance. Spliting cards is around 25 -30 feet. Gongs vary from 25 yards to a little under 100. You are shooting uphill, downhill, up gullies----almost all of the shots are shooting into shade. It can really mess up some line shooters used to set distances and clear targets.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Did some shooing today   Did some shooing today EmptyJune 9th 2014, 11:37 am

Sound like a lot of fun !
Back to top Go down

Did some shooing today
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: