View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14532
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Good bye expensive balls   June 21st 2014, 6:00 pm

Finally threw the towel in and ordered a .570" ball mold. $10-12 for a box of 50 from hornady just sucked due to the amount I shoot in that rifle. Got the bag mould from TOW, almost like what the guy on the movie Patriot uses. They say the handles get hot, so I will wrap them with leather and use a leather glove as well. I almost went with the lyman mold but that sucker is a tank to hold on to.

Also ordered a Lee .451" ball mold for my new .44 thats coming in, along with a 20gr powder measure which I will file down.

It will be nice to make my own 58's now. A little more work at the end of the shift due to the mold not having the sprue cutter but thats okay, less wear and tear on the mold IMO.

Now to finish the darn jeep engine, get it back in and have some room in the shop once more!

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5256
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Good bye expensive balls   June 21st 2014, 6:23 pm

A SIX!! I always thought those older Jeeps had a 4-cylinder engine. 50% more work and parts. Laughing

If Lee has a mould for the size balls I want, I always just buy one box of balls and the Lee mould. It saves a bunch of money over the long haul. I believe TOW sells 2-cavity Lee moulds with handles for less than $20. I've got a .433 coming Tuesday.

Those bag moulds are slow, cumbersome, and burn my hands even with leather gloves on.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5256
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Good bye expensive balls   June 21st 2014, 6:35 pm

Wow. I see why you went with the bag mould. Lee doesn't make them I guess and Lyman wants $72 for a single ball mould without the handles.

Can't you use a .575 with a thinner patch? Lee makes those for $19.29.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Good bye expensive balls   June 21st 2014, 6:47 pm

Probably goes without saying, but if you are in the market for a mold - particularly an odd size one - check Ebay every day. I've gotten good deals on available anywhere sizes like .490 or .495. Even better I have able to pick up no longer available sizes like .345. At the moment, I'd like to find a .648 Lyman. I have one made by Jeff Tanner, and it makes good balls, but the sprue trimming is kinda PIA.
Really miss the old days when Lyman offered a gazillion different sizes of round ball mold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Good bye expensive balls   June 22nd 2014, 12:27 am

Yeah theses days if you want something different you have to get it custom made . We have a guy over here that is a magician at making custom molds , never bought one of his molds that didn't produce top quality bullets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Good bye expensive balls   June 22nd 2014, 5:14 am

Spitfire wrote:
Yeah theses days if you want something different you have to get it custom made . We have a guy over here that is a magician at making custom molds , never bought one of his molds that didn't produce top quality bullets.

Jeff Tanner is in England. By "over here", I'm guessing you mean South Africa. Does the guy have a website? One can never have too many sources to feed their addict..... er, hobbies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Good bye expensive balls   June 22nd 2014, 5:30 am

Randy his name is Mike Neumann , he used to be one of our top long range muzzleloader shooters. I don't have his web address with me at the moment but i'll find it and post it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Good bye expensive balls   June 22nd 2014, 8:45 am

Been trying to find Mike's web address but it eludes me ....but here is his e-mail address

mneumann@telkomsa.net
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good bye expensive balls   

Back to top Go down

Good bye expensive balls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: