Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

.... Graf & Sons .............

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

Number of posts : 3690
Registration date : 2009-10-01

.... Graf & Sons ............. Empty
PostSubject: .... Graf & Sons .............   .... Graf & Sons ............. EmptyJune 22nd 2014, 8:56 am

headslap 

Finally registered with Graf & Sons. Tomorrow I'll fax the info they want in order for me to buy powder, primers and R/B's but today I wanted to run this question by PRB Shooters.
What's your over all opinion on these powders that Graf sells Question 

Goex, Olde Eynsford, Graf's Bl/Powder and Swiss Black.

How do they stack up against one another as far as accuracy, consistency, burning cleaner, less swabbing and cleaning. I've only used Goex 2F and found it to be pretty consistent and accurate. With pre-lubed patches I was lucky to get 3 shots off before cleaning but with mink oil I think I got off close 8 or 10 shots.
Whats your opinion on the rest gents Question 

Ray........... scratch

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16318
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: .... Graf & Sons .............   .... Graf & Sons ............. EmptyJune 22nd 2014, 9:09 am

you should really give olde eynsford a try, its really a step up over goex as far as power and cleanness goes. In the 58 you can get away with 1 1/2 fg. 2f will also work great.
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: .... Graf & Sons .............   .... Graf & Sons ............. EmptyJune 22nd 2014, 9:28 am

I've always used Dupont/Goex and so I can't comment on other powders.

For the first two decades or so that I played this game it was SOP to blow down the barrel after each shot. It was done to clear the vent and expel anything that might ignite the next charge of powder. Today, that practice will earn you a royal reaming from the range officer. It has been a tough habit to break. Still, I will not dump powder down a just-fired barrel without doing something. These days, I run a spit dampened cleaning patch down the bore after each shot. The same patch is good for at least half a dozen shots before it gets really caked with fouling and a fresh patch is called for. Not only does this practice take care of the blowing "stuff" out the vent problem, it has enabled me to pretty much shoot all day long without stopping to semi-clean the gun at some point or other.
It's one of those deals where I was very unhappy with a rule to start with, but in the end it has worked out for the best.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: .... Graf & Sons .............   .... Graf & Sons ............. EmptyJune 22nd 2014, 9:53 am

Swiss is more expensive but very good as well , it is the preferred powder for international competitions.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: .... Graf & Sons .............   .... Graf & Sons ............. EmptyJune 22nd 2014, 3:07 pm

I've only used Goex and Graf's (Scheutzen). They seemed about the same to me, however, I only just started using Graf's so don't have a lot to go by yet.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: .... Graf & Sons .............   .... Graf & Sons ............. EmptyJune 22nd 2014, 6:42 pm

i' ve tried Graf's and Goex. 

IMO:  Both were cruddy to the extreme, much dirtier that my 40 year old Du Pont.   Used up the Goex and most of the Graf's blasting stumps.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: .... Graf & Sons .............   .... Graf & Sons ............. EmptyJune 22nd 2014, 11:31 pm

I think Graf's is what we get here as Wano , it is dirty but very consistent.
Back to top Go down

.... Graf & Sons .............
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: