Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

What a great weekend

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2014-03-17

What a great weekend Empty
PostSubject: What a great weekend   What a great weekend EmptyJuly 6th 2014, 9:04 am

Due to the 4th of July holiday weekend, a shoot I’d hoped to go to yesterday was bumped to next weekend when I will be on call and unable to attend. Oh well.

But I had really planned on doing some shooting yesterday, so I grabbed the smoothbore I have the least amount of practice with, picked up the gong and stand, tossed the appropriate bag and horn over my shoulder, and headed out behind the barn to get more familiar with my NSW Officer’s fusil.

The big difference between the two smooth bores I have is the drop on the stock. The Early English trade gun – also from NSW, has quite a bit of drop, and it is necessary to remember how much barrel I need to see (no rear sight) in order to get the elevation right. The fusil has very little drop to the stock. Yesterday, I finally figured out that with the fusil, I need to sight it like a rifle with no barrel showing. Once I figured that out, the old gong started swinging with regularity. I might have to find a different small gong though. That .648 ball has kinda warped and twisted the one I am shooting at now. And it is ½ inch thick. By the end of the afternoon I had probably sent as many balls downrange in one session as I had in all the other times I’ve shot it put together. The trade gun may have been bumped to # 2.

Next up for the fusil is to work up a good shot load for tree rats and wing shooting.

At some point in yesterday’s session I saw the mail lady coming down the road. ‘Twas expecting at least one recent Ebay purchase to show up so I quickly headed that way. As it turned out all three packages arrived. One contained center seam moccasins and a set of leggings, one contained some old how to muzzle loading books by a man who wrote the muzzle loading column for Gun Week back in the sixties, (I was curious as to how advice might have changed since then – and the books were really cheap) and the last one contained volume one of Mark Baker’s, A Pilgrim’s Journey. It’s a book I already have. Somewhere. Now that I have a second copy the first should surface in no time.

To top it all off, the weekend started Friday morning while I was waiting for the guy on standby this week to come pick up the phone and radio. As I was waiting, another co-worker who works with the construction part of the company pulled in and gave me at least sixty pounds of nice, soft, lead sheathing from old phone lines that have been dug up in the course of installing new gas lines.

When you are shooting a lot of .600 and .648 balls, free lead is nice.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: What a great weekend   What a great weekend EmptyJuly 6th 2014, 9:19 am

It's like casting balls for the 8 bore......
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: What a great weekend   What a great weekend EmptyJuly 6th 2014, 9:21 am

Sounds like you had a great time with that fusil. I have trouble remembering which SxS shoots low and left and which one shoots right so I kind of know what you mean. Mine both have straight stocks though so I get mixed up when switching.

At what distance were you shooting the gong?

Free pure lead is almost like Christmas and a birthday at the same time.  :rtup

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: What a great weekend   What a great weekend EmptyJuly 6th 2014, 10:49 am

@Spitfire wrote:
It's like casting balls for the 8 bore......

Well....
North Star West calls the fusil a 16 gauge, so it's only half as bad as casting for an 8 bore. 'Course, You are probably ready to quit shooting a lot sooner with an 8 bore. Lead-wise, it should be about even.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: What a great weekend   What a great weekend EmptyJuly 6th 2014, 11:00 am

It all depends on the charges used Randy....but she packs quite a wallop !
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: What a great weekend   What a great weekend EmptyJuly 6th 2014, 11:10 am

@patocazador wrote:
Sounds like you had a great time with that fusil. I have trouble remembering which SxS shoots low and left and which one shoots right so I kind of know what you mean. Mine both have straight stocks though so I get mixed up when switching.

At what distance were you shooting the gong?

Free pure lead is almost like Christmas and a birthday at the same time.  :rtup

Something in the neighborhood of thirty yards, slightly downhill, all offhand, at a five inch gong.
 There is a guy who sets up at the Old Mill flea market at Friendship selling various gongs and bullet traps. The setup I was using yesterday, three different size gongs on an easily transported stand that's made like a real estate sign on steroids, was one of his. The biggest gong is the five inch one. The next smallest is three and a half inches, and the smallest is two and a half inches. The five inch one is pretty well beat up. The three and a half inch one shows signs of numerous hits. (All rifle, about 50/50 rest and offhand) The smallest one is untouched except for a little lead splatter from the other two. I'm hoping to reach the point where I can spin the little one offhand as often as I can spin the big one.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: What a great weekend   What a great weekend EmptyJuly 6th 2014, 11:24 am

Any pics of the stand and gong Randy ?
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: What a great weekend   What a great weekend EmptyJuly 6th 2014, 11:50 am

@Spitfire wrote:
Any pics of the stand and gong Randy ?

I haven't tried posting pictures here......and on top of that I have a new computer with Windows 8.1 that I'm still trying to figure out.
But for a quick idea, go to http://rztargets.com/products/Handgun_Targets.html

The set I have is item 1034. At the spring shoot I bought a bigger gong from him to play at longer distances but I can't try it out until the cattle get moved to a different pasture.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: What a great weekend   What a great weekend EmptyJuly 6th 2014, 1:05 pm

Cool looking setup Randy , very easy to build in the garage as well.
Back to top Go down

What a great weekend
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: