Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Lock Re-assembly

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rcshank85

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-07-29

Lock Re-assembly Empty
PostSubject: Lock Re-assembly   Lock Re-assembly Empty2014-07-29, 10:22

Hello all,

This past year I became a new flintlock hunter. I cheaped out for my first gun and bought a Traditions DeerHunter 50cal. with the cerakote. Last night I was disassembling the lock down to screws and parts and when I unscrewed the frizzen and priming pan (via the frizzen screw) a "spring washer" fell out and laid on my bench. I cannot for the life of me determine/figure out where this spring washer goes. Maybe it is not even a part of the frizzen/priming pan assembly. I contacted traditions and they asked for pictures which i will send if know one knows the answer. They stated the only washers should be for the lock plate screws. Which I have and are intact with the lock plate screws themselves. I'm not sure if maybe when they were assembling the lock the first time they needed a "spacer". Like I said it is a spring washer which I am assuming is being used to make something snug and not rattle, instead of just being used a regular flat washer.

Thanks for any and all help.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Lock Re-assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock Re-assembly   Lock Re-assembly Empty2014-07-29, 12:31

See if you cannot find an exploded drawing of the lock on the internet , that will show where all the parts go.
Back to top Go down
rcshank85

Lock Re-assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock Re-assembly   Lock Re-assembly Empty2014-08-01, 08:01

In case this happens to anyone else, this is the reply I received from traditions.

"
Good Morning Richard,

Thanks for awaiting our reply regarding the washer you had asked about on your Deerhunter flintlock.  Our gunsmith took a look at your images.  We have had some changes in some of our lock parts over the years.  The Deerhunter flintlock has been revised to include this tiny washer that you found during the cleaning process.

Our gunsmith actually disassembled one of these flintlocks in front of me to demonstrate where this washer (which is the same as the one you showed in your image) goes. Here are the steps he showed me in terms of reassembling your frizzen: 1) put the frizzen screw through the lock plate (from the inside out), 2) next, he actually places this tiny washer onto the frizzen on the hole where your frizzen screw is going to go through, 3) then put your frizzen screw through the frizzen, with washer in place and continue with installing the frizzen spring.  When installed correctly, this tiny washer is going to be placed between the outside of the lock plate and the inside of the frizzen.   

I can see how confusing this was to both you and I since this washer is not shown on our parts schematic.  I appreciate your bringing this to our attention.  I’ve been here for many years, but have never had anyone call asking about this washer in the past.  It helped both of us to learn something new about our Deerhunter flintlock lock parts assembly.  Thanks for being so patient with us while we took the time necessary to provide you with the information you were looking for. Please stay in touch if we may be of assistance to you again at any time in the future."

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Lock Re-assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock Re-assembly   Lock Re-assembly Empty2014-08-01, 08:07

I can't believe an outfit that markets guns would take that much time to send you that. It's just like the old days when people cared about customers.  :rtup

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Lock Re-assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock Re-assembly   Lock Re-assembly Empty2014-08-01, 08:54

Yep that is what you call service !
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Lock Re-assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock Re-assembly   Lock Re-assembly Empty2014-08-01, 09:25

I'm impressed with Traditions for doing this. TC would have said to send them the lock, and you'd get it back in 2-3 months.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Lock Re-assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock Re-assembly   Lock Re-assembly Empty2014-08-01, 10:20

Traditions has been pretty darn good to me with stuff like this. Glad they helped figured out where that washer goes!  :tup2 
Back to top Go down
rcshank85

Lock Re-assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock Re-assembly   Lock Re-assembly Empty2014-08-04, 13:43

It was a very good response from them. I could have figured this out my self, but when you place the washer in said location the outside edge of the frizzen sticks out past the edge of the flash pan. I tried this combination and it didn't look quite right, which is why i had the question in the first place.

The only question they didn't answer for me from my original email was, I had some corrosion on my frizzen spring so I took it off to remove pot marks which in turn removed the finish. Now I am concerned for a more rapid corrosion if I forget to clean the second I come in from a rainy hunt. Any ideas or tips on what to use for long lasting corrosion resistance? I am currently using standard rem oil to fight off rust but I don't know what works best for this. Should I get a chrome polish and work by way up the sandpaper grit to about 1500 to achieve a good polish or just use some lube?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Lock Re-assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock Re-assembly   Lock Re-assembly Empty2014-08-04, 13:49

RIG works really well and is a good lube for the frizzen spring. Polishing it with a mixture of sand paper all the way up to 2000-4000 grit and wet sanding will also be awesome.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Lock Re-assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock Re-assembly   Lock Re-assembly Empty2014-08-04, 14:01

I ground down the frizzen spring on purpose of one of my guns to weaken it. I polished it, cold blued it, and keep it oiled. RIG is good.

If that washer is causing a space, your priming powder will dribble down into and behind your lock and eventually ignite. Leave the washer out or put it some place else. You want absolutely no gap between the flash pan and the side of the barrel. If it's somewhere else, just keep it clean.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Lock Re-assembly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lock Re-assembly   Lock Re-assembly Empty2014-08-05, 10:11

Agree with Bob , no gap between pan and barrel.
Back to top Go down

Lock Re-assembly
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: