Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Lock spring tool is finally in stock

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Lock spring tool is finally in stock Empty
PostSubject: Lock spring tool is finally in stock   Lock spring tool is finally in stock Empty2014-07-30, 11:54

I just got an e-mail from TOW that they finally got the lock spring compression tool in after it being out-of-stock for over 5 months. If you ever plan to replace percussion or flintlock springs, buy one. They don't result in broken springs that happen too often when using pliers or vise-grips.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1038/1/TOOL-VISE

Less than $12.00.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Lock spring tool is finally in stock   Lock spring tool is finally in stock Empty2014-07-30, 13:49

Or get to know a gunsmith to replace the spring for you !
Back to top Go down
Standing Bear

Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Lock spring tool is finally in stock   Lock spring tool is finally in stock Empty2014-07-30, 16:55

I've had one of those tools for 35+ years.  Mostly I just use a small pair of vice grip type pliers.  Bring the lock to full cock, tighten the jaws of the pliers till barely touching the spring and then lower the cock to the fired position.  I don't release the compression until the spring is back in place on the assembled lock and then just bring the lock to full cock again and the pliers are loose.
TC
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Lock spring tool is finally in stock   Lock spring tool is finally in stock Empty2014-07-30, 23:27

Good info there Standing Bear .
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Lock spring tool is finally in stock   Lock spring tool is finally in stock Empty2014-07-31, 03:12

@Standing Bear wrote:
I've had one of those tools for 35+ years.  Mostly I just use a small pair of vice grip type pliers.  Bring the lock to full cock, tighten the jaws of the pliers till barely touching the spring and then lower the cock to the fired position.  I don't release the compression until the spring is back in place on the assembled lock and then just bring the lock to full cock again and the pliers are loose.
TC

Using the same method you can simply have a small piece of steel with a notch cut to the right width.
I doubt they still have any, but for years Dixie Gun Works sold original musket tools with one end that doubled as a nipple wrench and main spring clamp.
Back to top Go down

Lock spring tool is finally in stock
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: