Share | 

Ain't it strange

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Ain't it strange   August 5th 2014, 5:29 pm

For all the years I've played this game, ball size for standard calibers was .005 to .010 under stated bore size - at least if you were shooting patched round balls. .50 calibers would take a .495 or 490, .54 calibers .535 or .530, etc.
For many years Lyman/Ideal made a lot more mold sizes than they do now, but I sorta assumed they still made two sizes in the range mentioned for each common caliber.
Wrong.
I've discovered that in the 36 caliber area it is either be happy with .350 (with a Lee mold, Lyman's smallest offering is .375) or hope you can find a no longer made size on Ebay. That is where I got my .345, because the .350s were just a tad tight with the thick patching I prefer. Ready to go round balls from Hornady or Speer are offered only in .350.
The real puzzler is when you want to shoot a .32. Swaged balls are available in both .310 and .315, but if you want to mold your own you must again go with Lee, and then you are stuck with .311 or .319. Granted, if the desired size is .310 then an extra .001 isn't worth worrying about. But if the companies that make swaged balls sell enough .310 and .315 to make it worth their while why is it impossible to get a new mold in those sizes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5245
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Ain't it strange   August 5th 2014, 5:35 pm

Jon couldn't find a mold in .570 for his .58 except for a super-expensive Lyman I believe. Paying $70+ dollars for a little split-in-half steel block is robbery especially when handles are not included.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Ain't it strange   August 5th 2014, 6:12 pm

With bigger calibers, maybe anything over .54 or so, I would get a mold from Jeff  Tanner. For less than forty bucks he will make any size you want to the nearest .001. That is where I got my .648. In smaller calibers the sprue on Tanner molds might be a problem.
As far as Lyman molds are concerned.... well darn it, that is what I learned to cast with. For a long time they were pretty much the only game in town. When they first started to get a little pricy, 25 bucks or so, I tried a Lee mold. After a few sessions I pronounced them a poor pair of pliers and gave 'em a toss. Afterwards, for a long time it was Lyman and hang the expense.
Returning to the game a dozen years or so after burglars took me out of it, the expense of starting over almost from scratch got bad enough that I had to cut a few corners. I bought another Lee mold for .600 RB. It was a lot better than the first one I'd bought and I still use it. But if chance places me in the proximity of a good used Lyman mold in .600 at a good price, the Lee will go into storage as a backup. I really think the Lyman molds are the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14520
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Ain't it strange   August 5th 2014, 8:58 pm

I use a Lee .375" for the .36cal capnball I gave to my brother last year. They fit perfect and give a little lead ring when you push them in.

That lyman mold was expensive but the ball it throws and the accuracy it produces was worth every penny in the end. Im sure there are better bag molds out there but I didn't want to take a chance and get another junker, especially after seeing how that lyman molded balls shoot at 150!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Ain't it strange   August 6th 2014, 9:42 am

Not much to beat a Lyman mold when you're talking off the shelf moulds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ain't it strange   

Back to top Go down

Ain't it strange
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: