Share | 

My sons first muzzleloader shot

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 10th 2014, 9:39 pm

While at the range working on an Antelope load my son was asking about Apex conversion. I found a load on another site for youth and poured 33 grains of 4759, a 200 grain SST in a harvester smooth blue down the barrel. I primed the rifle and places it on the tack driver bag for him.  I told him a 9 year old girl had shot this load so no backing out. He touched off the shot and was happy, so I loaded some more for him. He shot a sprite bottle and 1 gallon milk jug at 100 yards. This could be very promising since the KS muzzleloader season is in September and Indiana doesn't allow the use of the 243. I need to Chrono the load and dial the scope in for him. It should be in the 2100-2200 fps range according to the other post. 
Here is the shooter with the jugs, he first shot the sprite bottle then he missed the gallon jug twice after stating the poi was dead on for the sprite bottle. So I put a black dot on the jug and he almost hit it. Not bad for a scope setup with my eye relief and not much of it. 

Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 10th 2014, 11:27 pm

Nice ! Congrats to the young man
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 11th 2014, 6:05 am

I bet he wasn't the only HAPPY one there when he hit the bottle.Good going.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 11th 2014, 6:30 am

You got me I was very excited as well!  He is itching to go deer hunting and he knows the muzzleloader works well. When he hit the bottles I told him that equals a hit on a deer and he was licking his chops. We haven't had deer steaks nice last October.

patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 11th 2014, 6:53 am

Good going. How old is your son?

Getting them interested in hunting at an early age is a good thing.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 11th 2014, 7:03 am

geek He is 7.5 but bigger for his age but not freakish. Last year the 20 gauge with birdshot was on the upper limit for him. He wanted to Dove hunt and I was being cheap and didn't want to buy 410 shells. I wish the states didn't have the minimum age law for the hunter education. He has to wait until he is twelve to get a youth license.  For now he can go with me and help me shoot.
I couldn't believe how well that load worked and how little recoil it had. I knew most deer loads with BH209 would be to much in the .50 cal. Looks like I may have to buy another Apex or build a Remington conversion.

sqezer

Male Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 11th 2014, 7:56 am

Seth, you might get some 50x40 MMP sabots from Del Ramsey at Modern Muzzleloader Products, and try them with either a 180 or 200 gr. XTP or the Bloodline Bullets. With either 80 or 90 grs. of BH-209 he should be just fine.

.45 Knight Disc Extreme MHSDE SS composit stock
.50 Knight Mountaineer Laminated stock
.50 Knight Disc Elite
.50 Knight Disc Extreme X 3
.50 Knight Long Range Hunter
.52 Knight Disc Extreme Winter Camo stock
.45 CVA Apex & 7mm-08
.50 CVA APEX
.45 CVA MagHunter X 5
.50 CVA Buckhorn Mag X 4
.50 CVA Wolf Shorty
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sqezer@yahoo.com
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 11th 2014, 8:21 am

IMO, it's best to start a child out with the smallest adequate loads so they don't develop a flinch and get scared of the gun.
It's a holdover from my dog training where I start with clanging pots and pans then a cap gun and finally a blank pistol. I've never had a gun shy pup that way and I hold that philosophy for children too.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 11th 2014, 9:31 am

I'm liking the idea of the bloodlines or the Lehigh bullets GregK is testing in sabots for him. The Barnes would be nice as well. 
Pato I agree that I don't want to over do it and develop bad habits. His weak arms also make it hard to hold and fire certain firearms. That is where he struggles with shot guns trying to swing and point upwards. He didn't touch his shoulder after shooting so that was a good sign. My wife is the one who is recoil sensitive thanks to her father. First time hunting at 13 weighing 100 pounds he hands her a 12 gauge single shot without a recoil pad and a box of 1oz Winchester slugs. Needless to say I have to prove without doubt it doesn't kick especially if its loud like an AR15. I'm thinking this could be a good load for her as well to sit in the blind with us.

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 11th 2014, 10:55 am

She's not going to let "her baby" out of her sight I'll bet.  Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 11th 2014, 11:03 am

:rtup  I think hes ready!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
biddler2

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 11th 2014, 11:54 am

Last December for his 7th birthday I took him down to Hoosier National Forest in the area I hunt in with two of my friends to camp and deer hunt. We stayed in my buddies pickup truck slide in camper and stayed for 3 days. We all had our bows and it was a good time. He loved being down there. We didn't see any deer but did have some squirrels close to the blind. My wife didn't go and she missed out on the fun.  He wants to go again this year so hopefully the weather works out.

cvilorio
FML's
FML's

Number of posts : 1571
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 11th 2014, 8:19 pm

Seth tell you son that he did great, and I know of another young man who hunts with a APEX conversion using the same. I'm real happy for both you and him, and hope he can bag on this year. Great shooting.
Carlos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 12th 2014, 7:24 am

IMO the best muzzle loader to start a youngster on will be the Ardesa Deerhunter in .32 , it weighs in at about 6 lbs. and there is no recoil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 12th 2014, 8:52 am

Unfortunately Spitfire here in the States that doesn't met the minimum requirements for a deer rifle. KS requires larger than .40 caliber and I believe Indiana is .357" for deer hunting. Most States have painted themselves into a corner with youth hunting where you either have to be 12+ years of age or have to shot large caliber weapons. For instance Indiana firearm season is basically slug hunting or 40 caliber or bigger muzzleloading. You can use pistol calibers in rifles like a 44 magnum but rifles at limited in those calibers or hand loading is required to get the best performance. I feel that once kids reach the teenage years it harder to get them interested in the outdoors because of the other distractions. The smokeless muzzleloader though bends some of the rules in his favor though because of the flexibility in loads. I will be doing the loading for him and helping him learn safe practices for muzzleloading. He is really enjoying the new Apex.

Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 12th 2014, 9:43 am

No I wasn't implying he hunt with it but just to teach him the ropes and as a practice tool, they are super light on gas as well with only about 15 to 25gr of powder per shot being used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 12th 2014, 6:04 pm

I understand  Spitfire, that would be a fun gun to learn on. I like the idea of a little more safety factor than using smokeless powder. He helps me reload  metallic cartridges so he understands how a little powder can make a big difference.   
Overall my rant above was more about youth hunting limitations. I know he could pass the hunter education class without my help. But without the certification no liscense.

Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 12th 2014, 11:43 pm

Luckily we don't have all red tape here......yet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 13th 2014, 12:09 pm

No one under 16 may hunt alone in Fla. without a hunter's safety course. They won't let anyone under 12 take the course. The child can still hunt but only under the direct supervision of an adult.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 13th 2014, 12:22 pm

We supervise the youngsters too when they start hunting at a young age
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 13th 2014, 3:05 pm

I understand not being alone and honestly I want to be with him hunting. By not being able to have a tag or license until he is 13 for my son because his birthday is in late December makes it difficult. Legally he cannot pull the trigger to harvest an animal. So if I go hunting on a day he has school I run the risk of him not being able to hunt if I fill my tag. In Indiana it's not as much of a problem because I have plenty of tags thanks to my lifetime license even though I'm limited to one buck. I agree with the hunter education program just not the age restrictions which in turns drives the states license programs.

patocazador
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   August 13th 2014, 3:34 pm

biddler, here a kid can shoot the deer if he's with an adult. There is no season limit on deer only a 2/day limit on private property and most management areas. Some areas restrict the permit holder to one deer usually a buck. In that case only one of you may shoot.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My sons first muzzleloader shot   

Back to top Go down

My sons first muzzleloader shot
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: