View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: CVA Northwest fail to fire   August 13th 2014, 5:21 pm

I've seen a couple posts on another forum about this, sometimes when they are shooting, they'll get a couple fail to fires where the first strike hits and doesn't do anything, and then the next strike goes boom.

This is something I wanted to test out today with my new NorthWest Optima.

The RWS musket caps are harder to expand due to that top hat design and I figure what is going on after a few shots when the possible fail to fire on first strike happens, is due to the fouling on the musket nipple that has built up, it doesn't allow for the musket cap to fully seat. Just like what happens with a #11 percussion nipple when it starts to wear and bulge, we can not get the caps to seat and the first hammer strike hits it, seats it and then strike #2 makes it go bang.

Today I used my simple swabbing solution and moistened a q tip in it and cleaned the musket nipple shaft after every shot. After 8 shots, I hung it up and called it quits. I had zero misfires/hang fires.

It was easy to see how quickly that musket cap set up fouls and how it can cause seating trouble after 4-5 shots on the range. Its a very quick process to take care of since you normally have the breech plug out after each shot while swabbing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: CVA Northwest fail to fire   August 13th 2014, 6:02 pm

I can see why by looking at it. It has a short taper, and then it's straight. A nipple is tapered all the way down.

I've fired 20 shots on the Renegade with the musket nipple, and no problem with not firing.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: CVA Northwest fail to fire   October 25th 2014, 4:19 pm

Jon,

I am planning on converting my CVA Buckhorn over to musket caps, when you use them do you find that the fouling over-all is less than when using a 209 primer ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Northwest fail to fire   October 25th 2014, 5:55 pm

Yes, its a lot less and easier to just wipe off, it doesn't just BLAST into everything the rifle has in that area LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: CVA Northwest fail to fire   October 26th 2014, 12:23 pm

Jon,

Another question, I've read alot on the PR Bullet website that the owner believes even with the low energy 209 primers such as the 777 primers they tend to blow the bullet off the charge slightly before ignition causing flyers.  I've used their small primer system and it seemed to work except that all I have left are the CCI's and they are harder to ignite causing the occasional slight delay, I was wondering which has produced in your opinion the tighter groups 209 primers or the caps ?  THANKS !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: CVA Northwest fail to fire   December 3rd 2014, 5:00 am

Jon,

You were so right about fouling using musket caps.  I had my lightning out and I put about 40 rds through it and the breech plug was unbelievably clean threads and everything.  .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: CVA Northwest fail to fire   January 31st 2016, 1:24 pm

Put 30 or so rds thru my NW Wolf today your right about the fouling but I didn't have any misfires with the RWS caps  but I did use pretty heavy thumb pressure to seat the caps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVA Northwest fail to fire   

Back to top Go down

CVA Northwest fail to fire
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: