Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

poor eye vs crosshair

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jhelmuth

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-08-20

poor eye vs crosshair  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: poor eye vs crosshair    poor eye vs crosshair  - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2014, 12:14 pm

Muley wrote:
I understand what you're doing. I'm also trying to convince him more magnification is not the answer.

I'm as blind as a bat, but 91% in even the dark timber I hunt is plenty in normal hunting hours. Maybe it's not enough before, or after hunting hours, or maybe on a big black bullseye. However, in hunting conditions it should be fine. More than fine.

With the scopes i've had the crosshairs turn sort of a reddish color in dark light. It's easy to see them.

The problem I have with 50mm scopes is they need to be mounted too high for a good cheek weld.

I'm obviously not his eye doc - but blindness is relative and I have to take him at his word.

Even for myself (54), lower light creates issues for me now with contrast, which has a significant impact on me picking up detail - particularly when shooting and picking up the reticle.  We are all a bit different, so I can't fully appreciate HIS sight issues, but I KNOW what will help (even if that too is not enough).

I also appreciate that everyone can't afford top quality glass (I'm more fortunate than others I suppose). So I am hoping he'll use the bigger objective in order to give him more affordable options.  Ultimately, he won't know until he  can compare the optics in the conditions he's having issues with. More power and bigger/thicker reticle isn't really an answer at all - but maybe he'll figure that out (eventually)...
Back to top Go down
jhelmuth

PostSubject: Re: poor eye vs crosshair    poor eye vs crosshair  - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2014, 12:22 pm

@JTClark wrote:
muley is right i shoot a bushnell trophy XLT 250 DOA but the crosshiars on this scope like 2nd and 3rd and it very hard to see at distance so only i need to find way to change into standard crosshair without have more crosshairs also any of them made a bold center crosshair that can be see much  easy 

i have been in bushnell site and take a look at ELITE 4x12x40mm but i will have to stop at some store to take a look inside of scope
When you do (go and look at scopes), try to take your existing scope and compare to the potential new scope.  Ask to do this in very low lighting. Otherwise you will not see the real difference.

I looked up the Elite 4-12x 40mm (looks to be the Elite 3200?) and it's advertised light transmission is 90% @ 12x.  Not really better than what you have already other than the perceived magnification and elimination of the BDC reticle.

Make sure you are VERY objective about the comparrison. The numbers don't tell me this will be truly better...
Back to top Go down
dlethcoe

dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 689
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: poor eye vs crosshair    poor eye vs crosshair  - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2014, 12:22 pm

I mentioned to him to go some place to compare scopes to get a better idea for what his needs are.

Dave
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10397
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Maybe the duplex reticle is not for him. Just a straight thick one might help. I never liked them, because they block too much of the target.

Otherwise an illuminated reticle may be the only answer.

A cheap answer is wait another 15 minutes so it's not so dark out.  Very Happy

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
jhelmuth

PostSubject: Re: poor eye vs crosshair    poor eye vs crosshair  - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2014, 12:24 pm

...also - let's NOT forget that an illuminated reticle could also make a big diff. for him (I would not rule that out and might even be the best solution - at least cost-wise)
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: poor eye vs crosshair    poor eye vs crosshair  - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2014, 12:27 pm

As long as it's legal. It wouldn't be here.

Back to top Go down
JTClark

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-12-23

PostSubject: Re: poor eye vs crosshair    poor eye vs crosshair  - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2014, 12:50 pm

i have write list on paper to take with me to store next time to take a look here link

http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/trophy-xlt/4-12x-40mm-matte-black-multi-x-reticle

one things i don't want BDC scope
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: poor eye vs crosshair    poor eye vs crosshair  - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2014, 12:54 pm

You don't need a BDC scope for 100 yds anyway. So, no sense paying for it.

Back to top Go down
JTClark

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-12-23

PostSubject: Re: poor eye vs crosshair    poor eye vs crosshair  - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2014, 1:03 pm

i don't know if there any of muxxleloader scope made in without BDC but i just want to make change from BDC to standard plex that all 

dave, i emailed you a picture i shot 50 yard groups at x9 power maybe help you to see if i can do something to change the scope
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: poor eye vs crosshair    poor eye vs crosshair  - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2014, 1:08 pm

The problem with scopes that aren't made for muzzleloaders is they don't always have enough eye relief.
As an example. The scope you have is a muzzleloader scope, and has 5" of eye relief. The one you plan to buy isn't a muzzleloader scope, and has 3.5" of eye relief. That could still be enough, but you have to be more careful so you don't bang yourself with the scope.

Back to top Go down
gemihur

gemihur

Male Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Re: poor eye vs crosshair    poor eye vs crosshair  - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 11th 2016, 9:27 am

I've recently acquired a Bushnell 3200 scope with the Firefly reticle . First of all, the width of the cross-hairs are to say the least HUGE. You will have no difficulty in finding them, I assure you.
I'd more likely think that game can be obscured behind them and haven't yet had much field use to formulate my opinion of it's function. It is designed for use on muzzle-loaders tho. affraid
Back to top Go down

poor eye vs crosshair
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: