first woodchucks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
blackpowder

Male Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-06-25

PostSubject: first woodchucks   August 17th 2014, 7:48 pm

finally got out with the new(new to me) 32 flintlock woodchuck hunting. missed 2 the first night at 70 yards and found i was holding high and didn't need to. the second night, i shot 2 at 50 yards. one standing through the lungs and the second down feeding through the front shoulders. should be good to 100 yards if i hold at the head, if standing. saw 2 last night at about 125 yards, but passed. these old eyes don't see that well that far away. i'll get closer tommorrow night. the farm is loaded with them and it should be a good time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 18th 2014, 3:35 am

Iím jealous.

Around here it seems like the only groundhogs are inside the city limits. They are almost like a prairie dog colony inside a fenced enclosure where the old city waterworks used to be. Twenty or more years ago they were everywhere but the coyotes have cleaned Ďem out.

Iíd like to get a couple to cut down on food expenses at rondys. †
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 18th 2014, 10:07 am

You almost make them woodchucks sound like fast-food Randy ! †Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 19th 2014, 3:53 am

Well, they ain't too fast or the coyotes wouldn't have cleaned 'em out like they have.†Very Happy
It was always easy to locate groundhogs in the spring. You just scouted soybean fields looking for half circles eaten away for about thirty feet from the woods. They fill an important spot in that they are the only animals around here that did holes that can be used for other animals for shelter in bad weather and dens. I'm sure that more than one coyote den started as a woodchuck den before the original owner became dinner.
It occurs to me, that while hopefully your part of the world is free of the "reality TV" crap that has taken over the American airwaves, you are not getting to see the only show worth watching. Here is a clip from Call of the Wildman. Groundhog hunting at its most interesting.
http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/call-of-the-wildman/videos/turtleman-vs-groundhogs.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 19th 2014, 10:13 am

Call of the Wildman is airing here as well but I've never really watched it ....but i'll make a date when it's up next time !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3289
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 19th 2014, 4:18 pm

blackpowder wrote:
finally got out with the new(new to me) 32 flintlock woodchuck hunting. missed 2 the first night at 70 yards and found i was holding high and didn't need to. the second night, i shot 2 at 50 yards. one standing through the lungs and the second down feeding through the front shoulders. should be good to 100 yards if i hold at the head, if standing. saw 2 last night at about 125 yards, but passed. these old eyes don't see that well that far away. i'll get closer tommorrow night. the farm is loaded with them and it should be a good time.
cheers†...Awesome job with a smoker††:rtup

That's all I did when living in PA was woodchuck hunting on the farmlands...really kept me sharp for deer hunting. †Never hunted them with a smoker though, but that .32 sure sounds like a fun challenge.††Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 20th 2014, 8:16 am

.32 is a neat little gun for small game .....makes a†PRB scoot with very little powder !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackpowder

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 22nd 2014, 7:48 pm

got another at 40 yards and have passed a few at 80 yards or so. time to man up and start going for some of those longer shots. we'll see tommorrow. shooting 30 gr of 3f with a prb. should be about 2100 fps. the guns up to it, just don't know about the guy behind it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 23rd 2014, 8:01 am

Best accuracy†I can get out of my .32 is 3" at 110 yards but that is purely academic as I don't take shots beyond 60 yds. with it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 23rd 2014, 9:19 am

Accuracy aside, I wonder about the killing ability of a .32 on something as tough as a groundhog much past fifty yards. That light little ball is going to lose energy pretty fast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 23rd 2014, 9:58 am

Yeah I'd say to keep shots on groundhogs closer to 25 to 35 yards even though it still carries more than 180 lb/ft at 50 yards
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5189
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 23rd 2014, 12:06 pm

Have you tried the .32 maxi-ball. That should do a number on them at longer range.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 23rd 2014, 12:29 pm

Tried them in my Ardesa .32†and she did not like the long bullet at all , still need to try it in the Crockett rifle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackpowder

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 23rd 2014, 2:04 pm

the one was shot through the front shoulders at 50 yards. complete pass through. the other, 50 yards, †through the ribs/lungs, pass through. plenty of power out to at least 50 yards. time will tell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 23rd 2014, 2:45 pm

Did they drop instantly?
The reason I ask is because I will always remember†one I shot with a M-1 carbine that was hit solid but still made it back to his hole. He was standing on his hind legs next to a fence post when I shot. The side of the post was painted with his blood but there wasn't enough knock-down power to the round to anchor him. That shot was well under fifty yards. At the range I took the shot, I suspect that a .32 round ball with twenty to thirty grains of black powder behind it would have more oomph than the FMJ bullet the carbine spit out. I'm just doubtful how far out that will still be the case.
Nowadays, even though I have .32 and .36 percussion rifles and a.36 flint rifle, most of my shooting is with a flint smoothbore that spits a .648 round ball. If I ever have the chance to shoot a groundhog with it, I'm sure he will be convinced.
I really do need to play with the pea rifles more often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackpowder

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 23rd 2014, 5:34 pm

yes, they both dropped on the spot.†

UPDATE: just got back, and what an afternoon, probably never happen to me again. i got 4. one at 15 yards, one at 30 yards, one at 40 yards and one of the best shots of my life, one at 90 yards. i knew where his hole was at and he was a good 20-25 yards away from it. but first: the 3rd one was at 40 yards. shot †the shoulder and went right down. walk out of the corn into the hay field and the 90 yarder stands up and my gun is empty. i sit down and think, can i get this loaded sitting down? i'll give it a try. get it loaded, get on the shoot'n sticks, hold at the top of his head and boom. nothing. don't see him run for the hole and don't see him moving, nothing. walk up and there he is! went in just above the shoulder bones and out the other side. what an afternoon. i guess we get lucky once and awhile!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 24th 2014, 1:21 am

Did the ball pass through on the 90 yrd shot as well Blackpowder ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackpowder

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 24th 2014, 6:30 am

yes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 24th 2014, 9:27 am

Thought so as the ball will still be doing about 1000 fps and about 110 lb/ft....plenty of punch for small game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 24th 2014, 12:48 pm

blackpowder wrote:
yes, they both dropped on the spot.†

UPDATE: just got back, and what an afternoon, probably never happen to me again. i got 4. one at 15 yards, one at 30 yards, one at 40 yards and one of the best shots of my life, one at 90 yards. i knew where his hole was at and he was a good 20-25 yards away from it. but first: the 3rd one was at 40 yards. shot †the shoulder and went right down. walk out of the corn into the hay field and the 90 yarder stands up and my gun is empty. i sit down and think, can i get this loaded sitting down? i'll give it a try. get it loaded, get on the shoot'n sticks, hold at the top of his head and boom. nothing. don't see him run for the hole and don't see him moving, nothing. walk up and there he is! went in just above the shoulder bones and out the other side. what an afternoon. i guess we get lucky once and awhile!

Once again, Iím jealous. There hasnít been any decent groundhog hunting around here in years. On the other hand, all of the rattlesnakes (3) and half the copperheads (4) Iíve encountered in the wild were in PA. They are pretty much non-existent in these parts so maybe itís a toss-up.

I canít claim any shots on a groundhog over forty yards. I can however, claim one under one yard. I was hunting with a .45 half-stock percussion, sitting in a woods about 25 yards uphill from a cluster of holes. I became aware of some movement to my right and turned my head to see a groundhog sticking his head out of a hole just a few feet away. (I hadnít even noticed the hole up to that point) I slowly brought the rifle around until it was about two feet or less from his nose. I set the rear trigger, thumb cocked the hammer, and fired. As it turned out, the hole dropped straight down about four feet and I wasnít able to reach the critter with my arm. I had to return with a metal rod that had a short L on the end. I was able to stick the L in the hole the ball had made and lift the body out of the hole. As would be expected, it was a young one. They are slightly better eating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackpowder

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 26th 2014, 6:38 pm

sorry Randy but, got 4 more tonight on the property next door. 15, 30, 60 and 70 yards. the things were huge! standing side shots on the long shots and the ball isn't going through those big boys! bang, THUD! roll'em! the center fire folks don't know what they are missing. too bad you don't live closer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   August 27th 2014, 12:03 am

Sound to me like you are having a lot of fun !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackpowder

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   September 18th 2014, 5:13 pm

got number 19 last night, going for 20. after that, i'm going to get out the 62cal and try a few with it. sure been having alot of fun. can't wait til squirrel season!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   September 19th 2014, 5:35 am

After being hit by the .62 ball there won't be much left of them groundhogs...... Wink Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5189
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   September 19th 2014, 8:21 am

I imagine y'all are about tired of eating woodchucks by now.† :barf

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: first woodchucks   

Back to top Go down

first woodchucks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: