View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14522
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 9:04 am

A while back I won an original kentucky looking percussion Muzzy on an auction. It came in while I was away hunting. It appears to be a .36cal with fast left hand twist rifling and rifling thats still in pretty good shape to! Some pitting as would be expected but with a tight patch during cleaning, it never ripped one.

I'll get some pictures later on today of the rifle and let you all take a look and guess what the heck it may be and when it was made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 9:06 am

I'd like to find a nice .36 that I could afford. Get that photo up quick. tongue

I didn't know Muzzy made that kind of gun. Tease

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 9:18 am

Yeah a .36 is on my wish list as well ....maybe even a nice .38 too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 9:22 am

The weird thing is the left hand twist! Its an old barrel, its a good deal off center due to the rough mechanics of the day LOL. If not a shooter, a damn good looking wall piece to sit and look at and think of the days it has seen and what it lived through.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 9:31 am

I know some barrel makers used to change the direction of twist when the rifle was to used on the opposite side of the world from where they are.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 9:41 am

Maybe they looked through the barrel using a mirror? Razz

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 9:44 am

Or the machinist was running the machine in reverse
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 2:56 pm

NO marks on it anywhere. The pins that hold the barrel to the stock are weird as well. The first ( nose cap area) is the only FULLY pinned section of the stock, the other 2 pin areas look like catches, something like a V turned sideways just to catch the pin but not need having the need to tap the pin out.

Lock works great, no half cock position, trigger breaks at around 2 1/2 - 3lbs.
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 3:37 pm

Jonathan,

Looks like you got your work cut out for you in re building that one scratch

Ray............. t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 4:34 pm

One of the things I notice is that the ramrod is a newer style than you would normally find with an old rifle. Also, I'd bet that the sights are not original to the gun. Somebody has been shooting it in recent years. The only problem you might have is coming up with a mold for a slightly odd ball bore size. If so, Jeff Tanner can take care of you.
It looks like someone (damn 'em) decided to refinish the stock at some point in the not too distant past. The metal has a patina that the wood lacks. At first I wondered why the wood wasn't split out under the lock the way that mainspring sticks below the edge of the lock plate. Then I realized that the nipple keeps it from happening by stopping the tumbler before it comes too far around.
There were scads of rifles built from bought and salvaged parts that were never signed. There still are. But even if you never know the rifle's origin, with luck you have a shooter that was being used before any of us were born. There is a satisfaction shooting a gun like that you will never get shooting one made in the last few decades.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackpowder

Male Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 6:13 pm

also, if you have the barrel off, look for a name on the underside. i guess it was common to put it down. no half cock also was common, although alot of people will tell you that the notch is worn off, not so. my original remington .36 (1816-1836) has no half cock and neither does an original .32 i have. they carried them with the hammer down on the cap. if you have trouble tearing patches shooting it, try a wonder wad or two on top of the powder. RJ is right, nothing like shooting an original!

Last edited by blackpowder on August 25th 2014, 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 6:32 pm

Already had the barrel off, nuttin! I still have to check under the butt plate though.
Back to top Go down
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1304
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 25th 2014, 7:36 pm

That's a good looking old rifle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 26th 2014, 1:46 pm

She is a looker Jon !

Regarding the half cock notch ....you know what they say about the safety being between the shooters ears ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1304
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 26th 2014, 3:54 pm

It's unusual to find a muzzleloader with left hand rifling. The gunsmith who made that gun had a left hand rifling guide: All his guns most likely had left hand twist. i've seen numerous old rifling guides but never a left hand one.

http://www.korns.org/misc/rifling-jig.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile
D. Buck Stopshere

Male Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 28th 2014, 8:29 pm

From the general design, it looks to be from the 1840-1850's based on the buttplate design. It would have likely been shot off the arm instead of the shoulder. A two screw tang is a common feature for NC rifles. It appears the rear tang screw might be a replacement since it doesn't fit the chamfer in the tang like the forward screw does.

The trigger looks like its a single-set trigger, meaning it can only be fired with the trigger set, as opposed to unset. The mainspring has a stirrup connected to the tumbler, so its a better than average lock design. The lock maker's name would have been on the lock plate.  If the the pitch in the screw threads were measured and found to be metric, then the lock would have been imported from England or Europe, likely, Belgium.

The maker of the rifle would, if he were proud of it, have his name or initials stamped or if he had the talent, engraved on the top flat of the barrel.

Overall, the rifle looks petty decent. Except for the crack on the right side in front of the lock, the wood looks fairly well.

Always nice to see a well preserved piece of American history. If only the gun could talk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   August 28th 2014, 10:33 pm

I did pull the tang and barrel off so I could have got the screwed changed around from the original hole they were in.

NC rifle would make sense, I was doing some more cleaning in the bore and really took notice of the bore size. I do believe this is actually a .40 caliber.

Single set trigger is 100% correct. Its actually pretty darn light for a rifle built in the early days. No work needed in that department!

I'll certainly take a look at the thread pitch after hunting season and see what I can come up with.

As far as markings, its just to hard to tell due to all the pitting on the exterior of the lock and on the barrel flats.

Its a cool little rifle without a doubt, If I can get her up and running, even cooler!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   September 26th 2014, 7:21 pm

I cleaned up the bore tonight with Rem 40x bore cleaner. Looks halfway decent and feels pretty good with a tight cleaning patch on the jag. Just have to get a ball mold and see what will work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Original came in   

Back to top Go down

Original came in
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: