Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jhelmuth

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-08-20

PostSubject: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 29th 2014, 10:13 am

Hey guys...

Going to work up some loads for my new Accura MR.  I plan on shooting only Blackhorn209 (will be using the Blackhorn BP and will shim to adjust headspace).

That leads me to seeking some advice on loads.

(1)  I have a fair commitment to 295gr projectiles (Powerbelts - 50cal AeroTip Copper and HPs) and also planned to use AeroLites too.  Any reason to NOT use them?

(2) Primers....  which ones?  Seems CCI and Fiocchi are VERY hard to come by.

(3) Suggestion on charge?  (I'm a very experienced Longrange/AccuracyNut CF handloader, so I will workup to a charge BTW). I plan to weigh my charges BTW...  (I know/understand vol vs weight), so I'll translate them just fine.

Any other loading advice is greatly appreciated...

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 29th 2014, 12:54 pm

Jim,
Check the WELCOME SECTION and you'll find info on what I used in my V2 and MR. Call Carlos for your powder, primers and bullets. He has helped many, many members here. He also knows his Ml'ers and the Smokeless end of it also. Check ED's Gun Shop.........

Ray............

I used Fiocchi Primers and got them from Carlos.

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
muznut

Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 30th 2014, 4:45 pm

If your going to use Powerbelts I would get the BH209 breech plug if I was you,or modify the one you have with a powder pocket and a savage 10ml2 vent liner. 110grs of BH209 is a winning ticket in all my CVA's and other inlines with 250 to 300gr bullets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhelmuth

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 30th 2014, 5:39 pm

Yep...   only going to use the Blackhorn BP  (I think I mentioned that).

Good info on the loads. I'm going to start at 90 gr volume and work up.  I am expecting somewhere around 100-110 using 295gr Powerbelts.

Once I  can get some AeroLites I'll be developing a load for those as well (and I'm hoping it will be the same, but we'll see).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cvilorio
FML's
FML's

Number of posts : 1571
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 30th 2014, 6:24 pm

jhelmuth wrote:

Good info on the loads. I'm going to start at 90 gr volume and work up.  I am expecting somewhere around 100-110 using 295gr Powerbelts.

Once I  can get some AeroLites I'll be developing a load for those as well (and I'm hoping it will be the same, but we'll see).
jhelmuth,  here is what I would recommend. Most of the loads I use and shoot all the time are the Barnes TEZ 250 gr. in either the blue sabots or the balck ez-load sabots, the Hornady Mono Flex, and if you want to use the Aerolites  they are also extremely accurate, but not as good as the other two. The charge is 110 gr. of BH 209 with the Fed 209 primers or the Fiocchis 616 209 primers. All this load are capable of shooting sub MOA at 100 yrds and extremely accurate up to 200 yrds. One more bullet would be the new FED. BOR copper trophy, but the are not out yet. If you need any more help just let me know.
Carlos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhelmuth

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 30th 2014, 7:29 pm

Thanks Carlos. Your advice is well received.

There is so much respect I have for you (and rightfully so).  I am going to stick to the Powerbelts unless they shoot really awful (which I would be surprised at if they did).  I totally respect Barnes and they have been building long range accuracy bullets for years (and hunting bullets too).  The Powerbelt makes sense to me and if I were to give up a tiny bit of accuracy for more stopping power, I'd be good with that (I have plenty of time and rifles just for accuracy fun - some to a quarter MOA and even less in the best conditions and I'm doing my part).
Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that way (so I'm open for re-thinking that if there is good evidence against them). Certainly if the Powerbelts fail to have good accuracy, I may well switch to Sabot type bullets (and the Barnes would probably be my first choice).

PS - I'm also planning to move to charge weight (vs volume) as I have the uber-precision tools (A&D FX-120i Magnetic Force Restoration scale - +/- 0.01 grains) and the one thing I do carry over from my CF experience is that consistency is the key to really good accuracy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhelmuth

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 30th 2014, 7:31 pm

I don't know if anyone here has seen the actual real-world ballistics of the AeroLite, but that thing is really awesome...

I hope the same can be said of the Copper HPs. (I would think so)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cvilorio
FML's
FML's

Number of posts : 1571
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 30th 2014, 8:04 pm

jhelmuth wrote:
I don't know if anyone here has seen the actual real-world ballistics of the AeroLite, but that thing is really awesome...

I hope the same can be said of the Copper HPs. (I would think so)
I did not mean that the aerolites is not a extremely accurate bullet, because they are no question about it, but as far as weight retention it does not compare to the Barnes, and the MONO's. I weight some the other day that i had shot into water jugs and wet news papers. The Barnes and the MONO's weight at 248.7, the aerolites came out at 189.5 and that is not bad for a all lead bullet, but I rather have the one that does  not loose all that weight and passes thru. I know some of the guys I deal with rather use the ones with out a sabot and so do I and that is the reason I like to shoot sabotless, and as of now I'm working on some prototypes bullets that are sabotless and the beauty of it they will be bore size for the .50 cal., and for you who will ask, NO THERE WILL BE NO WOOL WAD. I already shot some and they are fantastic, but have to make some more before I go back to the range. Like I said before if you need any help just let me know and I will be more than glad.
CArlos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 30th 2014, 8:09 pm

100gr Blackhorn209 with that Aerolite and its lights out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
muznut

Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 31st 2014, 10:39 am

jhelmuth wrote:

Sorry didn't notice you mention the blackhorn bp thats what I get for too many beers last night. I recently did break down and buy some Aerolite 300gr and they were very accurate with a 110gr bh209 in my apex and accura also I tried them at 85gr in my H&R sidekick and they shot the same. That gun has a deep powder pocket and I use a large rifle mag primer tho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 31st 2014, 3:09 pm

jhelmuth, You will find out that the Accura MR will shoot just about anything that you would like to shoot thru it. Most of my testing with it, has been in the 100 to 110 gr. Bullets, so far I have not found a bullet, that it does not like. From sabotless to sabot bullets, you will enjoy your set up.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhelmuth

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 31st 2014, 4:14 pm

dlethcoe wrote:
jhelmuth, You will find out that the Accura MR will shoot just about anything that you would like to shoot thru it. Most of my testing with it, has been in the 100 to 110 gr. Bullets, so far I have not found a bullet, that it does not like. From sabotless to sabot bullets, you will enjoy your set up.

Dave
WOW!   I hope I can only be so lucky...

Thanks for the encouraging words. Now I'll cross my fingers and see if that holds true with mine. I have a hand-full of AeroTips, a few Berger Spit fires, a few Hornady XT?, some PB AeroTips (100+), and some PB Copper HPs (50+) - so I ought to be able to identify something as good-to-go.  ....and 5lbs 10oz of Blackhorn209!

PS - I suspect that, like other CF rifles, shorter barrels make for higher frequency and therefore much easier and broader loading potential (accuracy without the finickiness of precise powder and bullet combinations). Obviously the down side to that is the reduction in the development of MV and, to a small degree of firearms, the reduction in sight radius (not an issue with the MR since it's a scope-only rifle).

...can't wait to get her to the range (do you guys name your rifles?)

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 31st 2014, 7:54 pm

Be very careful with the Powerbelt coppers. You really need to drop your charge to about 80gr by volume. The copper on that bullet is a very light wash & when pushed with heavier charges it has a reputation for fragmenting on impact causing loss of game. There are so many other bullets that will out perform the Powerbelt that it's not funny. Carlos told you the best, but even the Hornady XTP you mentioned greatly surpasses it. Do yourself a favor right from the start & use a good bullet- Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhelmuth

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   August 31st 2014, 8:38 pm

Hey GregK....   thanks for the heads-up.  I'll look into it.

Noticed you're in SW Michigan.  Anywhere close to  Coldwater?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...   

Back to top Go down

Load recommendations for Accura MR with Blackhorn209...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: