Share | 

Suggestions or Opinions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clyde

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Suggestions or Opinions   August 31st 2014, 6:06 am

Folks about 3 weeks ago I had my Traditions Deerhunter at the range .  I had used this last year to shoot three deer,  I used a 300gr sabot that measured about .508.  I was trying  some old Buffalo Ball-ets that miked out at about 503 over a lubed wad and about 80 gr ffg 777.  When I was zeroing my nikon scope at 50 I got a couple of strange hits that I thought didn't quite match the number of clicks I was putting on the scope. I got her zero'd .5 inch high at 5o yds and took her out at 100 got a low hit and made what I thought would be a minor adjustment of about 2 inches only get zero impact on my next 2 rds .  I brought the target in to 75 yds and found I was hitting at 11 o'clock high.

I need some opinions is it the load or is it a popped scope.  I would usually lean to the scope on this but I've shot these bullets in 2 other guns and have not got anything to write home about group wise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions or Opinions   August 31st 2014, 6:10 am

Take the scope off the rifle and shoot for group at 50 and then at 100 and if she groups the scope might be bust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3300
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions or Opinions   August 31st 2014, 8:26 am

Before you give up on the scope, I would check to make sure the scope rings and base are tight.   I would also try re-center the turrets. Just count the number of clicks possible for each turret, then set each at the half-way point as your new starting point.  Then take it to the range and re-sight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions or Opinions   August 31st 2014, 9:57 am

Sounds like a bad scope IMO. I always like to try 50 yards with open sights or use a scope that I know for sure is in perfect working order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions or Opinions   August 31st 2014, 1:13 pm

I swapped it out today as soon as this weather breaks I'll take it to the range.  I was reluctant to to that due to the clearance between the scope and the hammer but in the end that worked out too.  Appreciate the help as always
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions or Opinions   September 7th 2014, 1:35 pm

Well I couldn't tell you which it was but I can tell you it likes 300 gr sabotted bullets .  Got 2  1 3/4 inch 4 shot groups and  one  1 1/2  3 shot group. The scope maintained zero all the way thru.  The only change I had to make was at the end the wind which was a 7-10 mph cross died so for the last two shots added 3 clicks one bull and one 1/2 inch low.  Hornady 45 cal 300 gr black sabots so much for 1/48 twist being for conical or round ball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions or Opinions   September 7th 2014, 1:56 pm

Clyde,
sounds like some great shooting, and glad that you were able to solve the problem.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions or Opinions   September 8th 2014, 7:36 am

Good going Clyde , nothing wrong with a 1:48 twist rifle . They can be accurate if you find their sweet spot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions or Opinions   

Back to top Go down

Suggestions or Opinions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: