Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Blackhorn 209 problems

Go down 
AuthorMessage
buckhunter1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-09-01

PostSubject: Blackhorn 209 problems   September 1st 2014, 5:53 pm

Gun info,
CVA Accura MR Nitride,
Nikon Inline XR scope
Blackhorn 209 breech plug, 
Federal 209A primers
100 & 110 gr loads 209 blackhorn powder
250gr TC Shockwave sabot
245gr Powerbelt Aerotip
250gr Barnes TMZ
     I got to take my new rifle out for the first time today and was hoping for some good results with Blackhorn Powder since I've never used it before. I tried both powder charges with all three bullets and groups are all over the place from 5 to 10 inches. Scope is brand new and lock tited down. The gun is also locking up and hard to break open after the shot. I'm used to shooting Triple Seven Pellets and Shockwaves and have had good results in my old TC Encore. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15626
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorn 209 problems   September 1st 2014, 6:17 pm

Hello Buckhunter, Welcome to the forum!

The action being hard to open after being shot is one thing I found out with an MR I had. CVA updated the firing pin bushing to use a larger screw driver slot for removal. When the rifle goes off, it pretty much launches the primer back into the firing pin and the primer gets stuck in that larger slot. Try this next time at the range and you experience this: Pull trigger back and at the same time, push forward on the hammer with your thumb. You should feel a slight Click. That's the primer being popped out of the firing pin bushing slot.

As for your accuracy issues, that's always a tough one because we can not see whats going on.

Barrel heat is a major accuracy killer for BH209. A breech plug with a heavily fouled flash channel is another big accuracy killer. This should be cleaned out with a 1/8" drill bit and spun with just your fingers.

Another thing we catch folks doing is swabbing between shots with BH209! That is a big no no and is not needed with Blackhorn.

Seating pressure comes into play as well. I lean my upper body pressure into the end of the ramrod in one smooth motion while seating the projectile. No slamming the rod, no rocking back and forth into the rod, just one smooth push until it hits the powder, then lean my body over so the weight of my upper body transfers into the ramrod. That's it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
buckhunter1

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorn 209 problems   September 1st 2014, 6:27 pm

Thanks for the info, the barrel did get hot and the temp was about 90 deg with high humidity
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15626
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorn 209 problems   September 1st 2014, 6:35 pm

there you go, thats the worse culprit we have when shooting BH209 in our muzzleloaders! I usually give mine 5 to 10 minutes in the shade between each shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
shortokie

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorn 209 problems   October 6th 2015, 3:17 pm

How is the blackhorn powder working out now?  I am thinking of trying it but I am not sure with what I hear that it is the best idea....I have ordered but not received year a muzzleloader non quick release for my apex...I have tried but not got the answer yet...Is there a need for breech plug modification...or is just a matter of keeping the breech plug clean...I would like to know if bh209 problems are solving for you....Your short friend in Arkansas....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorn 209 problems   October 6th 2015, 3:44 pm

I have shot plenty of BH209 with no problems..the one problem I see here is the outside temps..once the barrel heats up the sabots get soft and you loose accuracy...need to let it cool 5-10 minutes between shots in those temps...

and what Jon said also...above..keeping the plug clean ..and no swabbing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blackhorn 209 problems   

Back to top Go down

Blackhorn 209 problems
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading! :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading-
Jump to: