Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

New member from N.C.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
stillhunter

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-09-05

PostSubject: New member from N.C.   September 5th 2014, 6:22 pm

Howdy folks, new to the forum but have hunted w BPsince the 80's and more lately w the rules for center fires increasing all over the state here.  Look forward to learning and sharing info about BP rifles and pistols. Randy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3699
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 5th 2014, 6:58 pm

cheers
WELCOME ABOARD Randy. Glad you could make it. I'm sure you'll enjoy being here with us.

Ray.......... t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15692
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 5th 2014, 7:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Randy! When you are ready to step up to the horrible addiction of muzzle loading, just ask questions and we'll be more than happy to get you started in the right direction.

Jonathan
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5314
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 5th 2014, 11:15 pm

Welcome Randy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 6th 2014, 7:14 am

Welcome. Tell us about your hunting smokepoles.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhelmuth

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-08-20

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 6th 2014, 7:27 am

Welcome Randy....   new here myself and am just begining to get into hunting.   Please do share you experiences with us!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JCORD

Male Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-05-08

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 6th 2014, 7:59 am

Welcome Randy... have a Q just ask. There is a wealth of muzzy info here.
Joe
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hood-35@att.net
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 6th 2014, 10:35 am

Always glad to have another charcoal burner on the site. Hang around and well get u in to rocklocks and other toys on the dark side. 
TC

Last edited by Standing Bear on September 6th 2014, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stillhunter

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-09-05

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 6th 2014, 9:18 pm

@patocazador wrote:

I bought my first smokepole in the 80's a T/C Renegade and started trying to perfect it's accuracy. I never succeeded in being confident at more than 60/75 yrds. I tried patched balls, T/C and other conicals of various weights , different loads/powders, caps, even sabos and just could not get it to shoot accurately past 50 yrds. I missed more deer than I shot though the ones I did hit were either knocked down to never get up, or only ran 20 yrds at best. Sold it around 99/2000 and bought a CVA Optima .45 in 02? It has served me well until recently when the scope mount or scope strayed. I put a new Nikon and Durasite alloy mounts on it late last year and it is now a much more accurate/dependable hunting rifle. I can't wait for the 14 season to start. BP season is relatively uncrowded at my hunting areas and the Acorns are looking good this year. I have found this rifle likes the 275 grn copper HP Powerbelts that are more accurate than the lighter aerotips I've been shooting except for the Platinum 223 grn.................. I need to get my hands on some of the 300 grn platinums but the .45 ammo and pellets are not being sold or scarce any longer where I've found it before, I have a decent supply for now but I guess I'll have to order my stuff and have it shipped to me soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 7th 2014, 2:36 am

We have the same problem over here with the supply of bullets , caps and powder.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3049
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 7th 2014, 6:56 am

Welcome to the forum Randy. I hope you'll find everything you need here. This is a good forum with a lot of great info. Ii see you mention ordering your supplies. I would suggest calling Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop 910-692-7936 He will have everything you need for less than you're paying now. You can also make a huge bullet upgrade for less than you're spending on Powerbelts. This includes premiums like Lehigh or Barnes & the next tier is the 40/200 SST. He has these in bulk as well as the sabots. In addition, you can always go sabotless & use 45cal bullets as full bore projectiles; Just some "food for thought" Enjoy the forum- Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 7th 2014, 11:31 am

Wish we had a Carlos here.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 7th 2014, 11:59 am

@stillhunter wrote:
@patocazador wrote:

I bought my first smokepole in the 80's a T/C Renegade and started trying to perfect it's accuracy. I never succeeded in being confident at more than 60/75 yrds. I tried patched balls, T/C and other conicals of various weights , different loads/powders, caps, even sabos and just could not get it to shoot accurately past 50 yrds. I missed more deer than I shot though the ones I did hit were either knocked down to never get up, or only ran 20 yrds at best. Sold it around 99/2000 and bought a CVA Optima .45 in 02? It has served me well until recently when the scope mount or scope strayed. I put a new Nikon and Durasite alloy mounts on it late last year and it is now a much more accurate/dependable hunting rifle. I can't wait for the 14 season to start. BP season is relatively uncrowded at my hunting areas and the Acorns are looking good this year. I have found this rifle likes the 275 grn copper HP Powerbelts that are more accurate than the lighter aerotips I've been shooting except for the Platinum 223 grn.................. I need to get my hands on some of the 300 grn platinums but the .45 ammo and pellets are not being sold or scarce any longer where I've found it before, I have a decent supply for now but I guess I'll have to order my stuff and have it shipped to me soon.

I couldn't get my first TC to shoot to expectations either.  Tried all of the same things you did.  Finally I realized I couldn't get a consistent sight picture with that huge front bead and u notch rear sight.  Replaced them with good square front and rear sights and saw a great improvement with all of the previous loads.

Now all of my MLs have good square sights even the ones with adjustable rear sights.  A match offhand and a light bench gun also have the option to add Redfield Olympics front and rear with either post, aperture or cross hair front inserts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   September 7th 2014, 1:18 pm

Yeah sights can make or break a gun...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bronco2

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   October 28th 2014, 6:37 am

welcome,,,,,

.50 cal fluted stainless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monk d

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-09-04

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   October 28th 2014, 9:14 am

welcome Randy, I am a new guy too. I got great results from my Hawken AFTER I changed the rear sight to a tang mounted peep, it really did the trick for me. that being said, I just bought another one and my first serious trip to the range sucked...but I think it was bullet/powder/sight issues because this last time, getting ready for hunting season, I did some sight work and load work and what a difference. So hang in there, lots of really good info here, and these guys are very willing to share tips and advice

Back to top Go down
View user profile
D. Buck Stopshere

Male Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   October 28th 2014, 2:10 pm

Randy,

I'm in Fayetteville, and there is a muzzle loading gun club not far from you near Duncan, between Sanford and Fuquay-Varina. We have monthly shoots on the 4th Sunday each month., and three two-day shoots in January, May, and November.

I've been in the muzzle loading business since 1972, and shooting' black powder since 1961. I have traditional muzzle loading firearms for sale at the Fayettville and Raleigh (Dixie Gun & Knife Classic) shows.

The Lafayette Longrifles next shoot is November 8-9. Go to http://ncflintlock.wix.com/llr for their website.

You can buy GOEX black powder from Paradice Pawn Shop in Benson if you want one or two pounds. Twice a year a group from the Lafayette club and Crosse Creek Longrifles, a black powder club here in Fayetteville pool a 50 lb order of GOEX< Schuetzen, & Swiss powder to get it for less than retail; ($16.00/GOEX/Schuetzen - $23.00/Swiss).

If you can stand to buy a minimum of 5 lbs of powder, contact Powder, Inc at 877-833-1799. Five pounds will cost you 122.00 including shipping and HazMat, shipped to your door. Tell Jerry on the phone, "Buck sent me".

Hope to see you at a shoot or show.

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep-NC
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member from N.C.   

Back to top Go down

New member from N.C.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading! :: Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading-
Jump to: