Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jhelmuth

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-08-20

PostSubject: Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...   September 9th 2014, 9:01 am

Hey guys,

Before I got out and did something really stupid/wrong, I thought I'd check with you all on the mods I've done to my Accura Mountain Rifle (which I will strictly use with the Blackhorn209 powder...)

> Cleaned everything really well (dang the barrel was pretty dirty!) and used some Birchwood-Casey spray graphite on the trigger area.

> Changed out the BP for a Blackhorn209 model.  Used a strap wrench to tighten it since I did not have the BP tool (seems to have worked).

> I'm using the Teflon Tape to wrap the BP threads (any hints on that?   I understand that with the BH209 powder this is not necessary?)

> I've set the "headspace" using shims (1x 0.020" + 2x 0.002") and getting about 0.003" crush +/- 0.001".

> I have the newer Firing Pin Bushing (larger slot)... should I be concerned about "lock-up" from the primers?  (going to start out with Winchester W209 primers). I think I understood FG on this topic, but just don't want to end up with a problem.  Just FYI, I do have a hard time with getting a good lockup when closing the break-action and usually need to do it 2-3x before I get a positive lockup.

Any tips/feedback is greatly appreciated!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...   September 9th 2014, 9:40 am

If its that hard to lock up, you may want to reduce the amount of headspace adjustment. All it should take is a snap motion to close it without having to slam the action closed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
jhelmuth

PostSubject: Re: Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...   September 9th 2014, 9:56 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
If its that hard to lock up, you may want to reduce the amount of headspace adjustment. All it should take is a snap motion to close it without having to slam the action closed.

OK...  I'll look into that.  Obviously I need to make sure I'm using the proper technique to  close it as well.   I would like to avoid blow-back (or is it blow-by?) but I don't want to induce other problems. I think I'll have to do some range work to see what works.

I thought I read somewhere that you used a combination of the o-ring and a 0.010" shim in the Firing Pin Bushing with the newer (Ie - wider slot) bushing - is that correct?   Did you need to do that to keep the fired primer from "jamming" into the bushing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...   September 9th 2014, 10:05 am

Normally you just can use the O ring and be good to go. The shims are only needed if the firing pin bushing is recessed into the frame.

The primer still got stuck now and then, I had some other issues with the breech plug itself & that was the reason I needed the .010" shim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
jhelmuth

PostSubject: Re: Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...   September 9th 2014, 10:31 am

OK...   I'm switching back to the o-ring only and will see what happens at the range (tomorrow).  If I get blow-back, I'll try the shims.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...   September 22nd 2014, 11:45 am

A little history.

Before the breech plugs made for BH 209 were available. We still shot BH 209 with the stock breech plugs. To get it to work we had to use magnum primers, and make the headspace very tight. Slamming the gun shut was the norm back then. It also turned out to be dangerous with the gun going off when slammed shut for a few guys.

Now the BH 209 breech plugs are available, and it's no longer necessary to use magnum primers, or have the headspace so tight. You can use normal 209 primers, and the headspace isn't as critical anymore. Now, the headspace is set to cut down on the fouling, but is it really a big deal? All it takes is a quick wipe on the receiver face to wipe it off.

So, if you can deal with minor fouling. There's no need to set the headspace to tight. I always wanted the action to close as easily as it does with no primer installed. So, that's how I set the clearance. Take up the slack without crushing the primer. I just don't like crushing the primer on a loaded gun.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhelmuth

PostSubject: Re: Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...   September 22nd 2014, 12:50 pm

Thanks for the clarification... (and you've confirmed what I suspected was the case, but only after I spent the time and $ chasing a ghost!)

Helps to have a "full" understanding of the history (now it makes sense).

Good advise, and I've already implemented it as you noted. Great post all the same as I feel certain others will be better off having this information!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...   September 22nd 2014, 2:11 pm

That wide slot they use now is part of the problem. It was another bonehead move by CVA. They should have used a hex inside the housing like a touch hole liner on flintlocks. Then you could use an allen wrench to remove it, and the face would be solid and flat for the primer to seal on.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhelmuth

PostSubject: Re: Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...   September 22nd 2014, 2:25 pm

I noticed that too.   I was thinking of writing them to ask if I could somehow get an "older" firing pin  bushing.   I do understand why the old slot was difficult to "use" (narrow slot = custom "screwdriver"), but I could easily live with that...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...   

Back to top Go down

Help (please) with my MR mods for Blackhorn209...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: