View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14688
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 9th 2014, 12:10 pm

Ray shot some great footage during his hog hunt and I put it all together for a good hunt without all the boring stuff we're so used to on tv. I think Ray did a hell of a job and got us some quality entertainment with his CVA Hawken shooting Patched Round Ball!

A squealer for sure!

Last edited by FrontierGander on September 10th 2014, 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5318
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 9th 2014, 12:49 pm

We're waiting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 9th 2014, 1:43 pm

Thanks Jonathan.
I hope everyone enjoys the video. My friend and I never touched a video camera until you sent me yours and explained how to use it, which by the way, was very simple. 
Trophy Ranch is a good place to go and have a good time. I know it isn't for everyone but for a guy who has limited time to hunt, or if funds are slim or a handicap hunter, you can't beat the place. The owner, his son, and his right hand man will go above and beyond to help you out.  :rtup You the hunter, makes the hunt what YOU want it to be......... Cool
One last thing, I'm waiting toooooooo Exclamation  Exclamation Exclamation

Ray........... t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5417
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 9th 2014, 1:49 pm

:dodo scratch study Sleep Suspect Dunno headslap2 :dodo  Still waiting here too.   bounce

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 10th 2014, 9:04 am

cheers cheers cheers

AWESOME........It came out great Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Thanks Buddy for the hawken and the camera. 

Ray..............

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 10th 2014, 9:12 am

You are welcome! Thank you for the footage, im sure we'll all enjoy the video! Crazy how that piggy just anchors and then stutters with his squeal LOL. I bet you didn't see that with all the smoke in the air.
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 10th 2014, 9:25 am

It came out pretty good for not knowing the how to's and don'ts. Next time it will be better yet Exclamation Exclamation

Ray.......... :rtup

Your right. I didn't see that with all the smoke.........

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 10th 2014, 10:26 am

Ray,
Great video and foot age.cheers

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5417
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 10th 2014, 10:27 am

Good video Ray. That house is a bit different than the blinds I'm used to.  Wink

Question: Why couldn't the hogs hear you and the cameraman talking before the shot? It seemed like you were talking fairly loud.

I think the bullet must have hit the neck or backbone or else it should have passed through. If a .58 PRB won't pass through at 24 yards, it might be time for a conical.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 10th 2014, 12:42 pm

scratch
Bob,
When I was popping a cap in the beginning of the video I kept saying I hope it didn't spook them. Well buddy, it didn't so I figured they weren't moving. Did they hear us talking, who knows but they didn't spook and run off. They just kind of stopped and looked around, took a few steps and stayed. 
According to Ed, both shoulders were wasted. That could be the reason the ball didn't pass thru and why I couldn't find it. Sure wish I could of found it. 

Ray......... :rtup

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 10th 2014, 2:00 pm

Ray, 
When I have a chance at FREE food, I very seldom listen to what people are saying, I'm after the FREE food. Maybe thats why nobody invites me out anymore? OINK

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cvilorio
FML's
FML's

Number of posts : 1571
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 10th 2014, 5:52 pm

Great video and great hunt Ray, and I know you had some, that is what is all about.
Carlos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drummy

Male Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2011-12-31

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 10th 2014, 5:56 pm

Thanks Ray for a great video. You done good

T/C Big Boar .58 Cal 
T/C Hawken .54, .50, .45, .40,
T/C New Englander 12 Ga. ?
Lyman GPH .54 Cal
Pedersoli Kentucky .32 Cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 10th 2014, 7:27 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Thanks for the replies guys. It was a lot of fun doing it. Next time it will even be better Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Ray........... :rtup

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KenPrather

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-05-14

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 11th 2014, 12:08 pm

Good shooting. I would not call that hunting however. Hey, I really have no problem with this method of harvesting meat for the table… it looked ethical and humane to me. I have no issues with using blinds and bait, but there was nothing in that video that indicated that any hunting was actually involved.

Congrats anyway on what is hopefully some good meat for your table.

K
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tomboboutdoors.com
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 11th 2014, 12:38 pm

KenPrather,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Like I said in another post this is not for everyone. Maybe you didn't read that post. A person has to make it what he wants it to be and not worry or really care what others may say.
Everyone has their own way of doing things including hunting. Bye the way the pork is delicious. The roasted pork loin and stuffed chops are second to none. 

Ray

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lonewolf

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2010-12-08

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 11th 2014, 1:48 pm

congrat: nice hunt and a great pig with patch RB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KenPrather

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 11th 2014, 1:52 pm

I did read your post completely and I meant no offense. I totally understand the reason for these kind of canned "hunts" and I do not begrudge anyone their fun. I have shot game out back a time or two… a few times even off the porch Shocked … Its not really hunting though is it?  You are right, its not for everyone. Referring to it as hunting threw me is all. Your rifle shoots center out to 24 yards, and it was a clean kill. And I am sure the meat was delicious. I have heard that the smaller ones taste a whole lot better than the big giants. You did good.

best to ya

K
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 11th 2014, 8:25 pm

Meat hunt is the word I like to use. Its kinda like buffalo hunting, sure they are "wild" but every buffalo in this country is going to be stopped by a fence at some point. Its a good way to get pork on the table and know whats in the meat.
Back to top Go down
KenPrather

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 12th 2014, 8:15 am

kinda like, yes indeed. 
There are still fair chase Buffalo hunts that are actual hunts--the property is hundreds even thousands of acres and there is an element of spot and stalk. Then there is the shooting of buffalo in a small enclosure where you are placed on a flatbed, behind a fence or even a small building like the above. Again, I would not define these as "hunting" either. ---Shooting? Harvesting? sure!

I think it is important to distinguish the two activities so that no one will be disappointed. Or worse they could be hurt doing something that they are not ready or capable for? I know of a few guys that bought into shoots like this, and were sorely disappointed when they realized that "hunt" was not what they experienced. And I can imagine a scenario where a fellow could get lost, exhausted and hurt going on a real hunt, when he was expecting a set up like the above. Or just disappointed when he was not able to participate because of a physical restriction of some kind. There is no shame in either activity-- they are simply different-- sometimes the end goals are even different--which is my only point.

I agree that wild meat is good stuff. There are farms that raise and sell natural fed wild meat. elk, pig, deer, buffalo, alligator, fish-- the list goes on. Its expensive but probably cheaper than the price of a canned hunt (not nearly as fun though!) 

respectfully, K
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 12th 2014, 9:26 am

Like I said above, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If it's not the type of hunting your used to then don't invest your time and money. Like I said earlier, it's not for everyone.
As far as I know there are fences around most of the hunting ranches in Texas, WY and CO. and also in Africa. In Africa they build whats called a hide and bate for the big cats. Game feeders and food plots are up just about on every farm in the US around along with tree stands and ground blinds.
I started hunting in '70 and have hunted, WY, MO, MI. WI, IN, CA, Iowa and IL. so I'm not a novice to the game. Hunting has changed like the hunting gear. 
I'm sure that most all of the members on this forum knows the difference between free ranging game and high fence hunting. 
I feel it's what you make of it and who the hell am I to criticize or bash what another does or how he does it...... As long as no laws are broken, it's fine with me.

Ray

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KenPrather

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 12th 2014, 9:55 am

Hey we agree for the most part.

There IS a difference between what your video showed and some of the spot and stalk hunts in the west that these large ranches provide. The noise, the clanging around, the loud talking would not work so well on a spot and stalk. Yes, there are lots of ranches that offer canned hunts with established stands and nice structures and feed plots and baiting etc… Some of them require hunting. Some not so much. Nothing wrong with them for what they provide. It reminds me a little of the private fishing pond I used to take my kids to… They would let a person fish a heavily stocked pond and you would pay by the pound when you left. Nothing wrong with that--it was fun! I too am not criticizing at all. Its just not the same as fishing in the wild.

I think a distinction between the two is important. The guys I mentioned were all experienced hunters too, but they were sucked into the hype and bought a "hunt" that was nothing but a shoot really… they were disappointed and regretted it. If a person goes in with all the information, then they will not be disappointed. It is what it is. I will leave it at that.

K

Last edited by KenPrather on September 12th 2014, 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5318
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 12th 2014, 10:28 am

Great video Ray
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KenPrather

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 12th 2014, 10:33 am

Hunting has changed?? hmmmm, yes, I guess so. There is less wild game in some cases, definitely reduced habitat and more regulations and restrictions. 

There is more innovative and cool "stuff" available (including canned hunts). But is all this "stuff" necessary for a successful hunt? Not really. Traditional muzzleloading in its purest sense I think is a response to this to a certain extent. But it too is not immune to the "new and improved." Sportsmen have always been attracted to new stuff. Reminds me of the fishing lure company that told me once "our fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish." Laughing  It happens in all sports, and it keeps folks like Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop in business. (two places that I love to visit.)

K
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   September 12th 2014, 10:51 am

It is what it is K. Let's leave it at that.

Ray.........

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader   

Back to top Go down

HawgSlayers - Hog Hunt - Traditional Muzzle Loader
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Lodge! :: The Hunting Lodge :: Frontier Muzzleloading's Hunting Videos-
Jump to: