View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14522
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 21st 2014, 7:53 pm

First off guys, I am not super happy about posting this. When I first saw the deer, it was BIG in the woods, facing me directly. I don't know how many of you have ever hunted thick pine forests and have had deer standing under 50 yards from you. For though that have been in this situation, deer look a lot better than from a distance.

Continued story from the Aerolite field test post:

I took to the high ground and made a large circle of the area in hopes of cutting the deer off. There ended up being Three deer spread out through that bowl that had four different " fingers" leading through the mountain we were on.

I ran into them! I was getting ready to drop down into one of those fingers that runs between the mountain when I looked to my left and spotted a big eared muley doe to the my left at 35 yards. I cocked the hammer, set the hair trigger, took a couple deep breathes and then took aim and squeezed the trigger and that .58cal Hawken belched a beautiful cloud of white Goex smoke into the early morning breeze!

My Hawken was loaded with the same exact load I've been practicing for months now.
100 grains Goex 2f
.570" round ball that I cast my self
.020" patch
Mink Oil patch lube
Remington #11 percussion cap

Once I spotted the deer, I slowly got a hold of my breath, talked myself through the process and carefully pulled my trigger while pulling back on the lock to quietly set the lock into full cock position without it having to make that distinct CLICK. I took my time setting the trigger as quietly as I could as well and then slowly dropped to one knee, took aim on the deers chest and squeezed the trigger.

Once the white cloud slowly blew away in the morning breeze, I saw the deer twitching 35 yards ahead of me. I got up and reloaded, taking my time and watching the deer to make sure it wasn't going to get up and run while I was distracted with reloading my Hawken.

In the end the deer turned out to be a very young antlerless male. Perfectly legal to shoot mind you but the ground shrinkage killed me. Had I had a broad side shot, I would have seen the size of it and let it pass.

I am not one to just walk away from a deer I shot just because it wasn't the size I had been expecting to take. Meat is meat and there's no way in hell I was going to disgrace the animal and leave it after I took its life.

A very young deer but it will be welcomed at the dinner table throughout the winter months.

When we got home, my brother and I were cutting it into steaks, burger and roasts. He was cutting the rear leg up and said, Why the hell is the rear leg bone busted? Then he laughed and said, You won't believe what I found!

The balls I cast weigh between 277 - 278.8 grains. When I weighed this recovered ball, it was 272.2 grains! Not bad for going through all but 4 ribs lengthwise and through the leg bone! Well over 2 feet of penetration.

A great season for us in the 2014 books! I know I shot a young'n but the best thing to do is enjoy the memories and especially the gift the little deer gave us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 21st 2014, 8:36 pm

Jonathan,
I'm sure we have all faced some issue that we wish we could have changed but I have to give you a lot of credit for not leaving the deer in hopes of getting another.
I'm sure your going to remember the hunt and enjoy the venison. Those memories, the laughs and the cries is the reason we do what we do. Enjoy the meat buddy.

Ray............. :rtup

Wish I could have found my .570 ball Sad

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 7:20 am

If you hunt long enough, you will do that a few times. I did it last year. I picked out the best shot I had at a group of 4 does. I could see the neck clearly but not much else. At the shot 3 does ran off and one of them ran funny. I thought that was the one I shot at and jacked in another shell, took aim and stopped. I thought, "Neck shot deer don't run funny, they drop or you miss clean."

I walked into the copse of trees and found this:

Notice the creative cropping. Wink

They sure are tender though.
It's a shame you only get one tag there. I'd hate to only get one hunt in and then have to quit.

PS: I don't do any grinding on a young one. Every part is tender, no burger needed.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

Male Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2014-04-03

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 9:24 am

Like mentioned if you hunt long enough you will surely come upon this happening...You honored the animals life by making use of it...I have done the same thing in Oregon where you get only one tag...You did great!

YMHS
hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 9:29 am

I'd like to point out that not honoring the deer by taking the meat would be a felony.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 9:38 am

very true but I know of a lot of hunters that would easily have walked away, thrown hands up, I missed! and then went out again for another deer. When you only get 1 deer tag every 2 years or so, and then end up with a some one, some hunters can not handle that kind of pressure of having their hunt over and a smaller deer down.

Im happy, it was an amazing hunt with the deer and grouse. We finally learned where the deer are in that unit now. It only took us 11 years to figure it out LOL.
Back to top Go down
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1304
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 9:48 am

Congrats on the deer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 9:56 am

FrontierGander wrote:
very true but I know of  a lot of hunters that would easily have walked away, thrown hands up, I missed! and then went out again for another deer. When you only get 1 deer tag every 2 years or so, and then end up with a some one, some hunters can not handle that kind of pressure of having their hunt over and a smaller deer down.

Im happy, it was an amazing hunt with the deer and grouse. We finally learned where the deer are in that unit now. It only took us 11 years to figure it out LOL.

A sign of your character is what you do when nobody is watching. I wouldn't ever expect you to walk away from the deer.

You should have hunted for elk. clown

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 10:40 am

didnt see an elk the entire trip! Then again, we were not looking to hard for them. We all put in for elk tags but you know how Colorado draw is, didn't draw uh one.
Back to top Go down
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 11:01 am

Congrats on the deer Jon , it'll make a fine meal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 11:13 am

FrontierGander wrote:
didnt see an elk the entire trip! Then again, we were not looking to hard for them. We all put in for elk tags but you know how Colorado draw is, didn't draw uh one.

You probably won't see many elk while blasting birds. pirat

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 12:49 pm

very very true! Those grouse were driving us nuts! We've never had so much fun. The good thing we learned. If we do not get deer or elk tags, we can sure in hell take plenty of grouse and enjoy that just as much as deer or elk hunting, if not more.
Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 12:59 pm

Hunting birds is more fun than hunting big game because there are more of them and it's a lot of action.

I think the worse thing a parent can do is introduce their child to hunting by trophy hunting. The child's attention span is exhausted in about 20 minutes and then hunting turns from fun to a chore. Start 'em out with small game and it's a lot more fun for both parties and just may hook a future hunter.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 22nd 2014, 2:03 pm

I was the squirrel hunting king for squirrels with a .22 when I was a kid. Very Happy (at least I thought so)

Then he had me hunting rabbits with a beagle and a shotgun. Most all shots were running shots.

On to pheasant, and then big game.

Dad did it right with me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3300
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 23rd 2014, 8:41 am

Nothing wrong with harvesting a small deer FG.  I don't think the early settlers would pass it up for the dinner table.  It should be deliciously tender!

---------------------------------------------------
p.s. After the haul I had last year dragging one out of the woods by myself, I will select the smallest one in a bunch this year if given the chance. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spitfire

Number of posts : 5320
Registration date : 2011-11-20

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 23rd 2014, 9:28 am

Meat is meat and a man must eat.....no matter how big or small it is Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hunting savage

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2014-05-03

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 27th 2014, 12:24 pm

There all are Trophy I say .I would take it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1750
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   September 28th 2014, 9:53 am

I agree...they are all trophy's!  Success on a Hawken muzzleloader hunt rewarded by a great tasting deer.  What's better than that?

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: .58cal Hawken spoils day 2   

Back to top Go down

.58cal Hawken spoils day 2
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: