Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME Empty
PostSubject: Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME   Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME Empty2014-10-14, 17:27

Saturday is the opener for muzzleloading deer season here and I was doing some final load adjustments in 3 different rifles. That was a mistake.
I finished up and reloaded one of the guns (Hawken clone with a Mag-Spark) but not the other two. My wife called me for lunch so I went in, ate, piddled with something else and then went back out to the barn. The first thing I did was to reload the guns .. all of them.
I thought that there was an obstruction in the barrel so I beat on the rod with a leather hammer. Then I realized that I had double loaded with PT Golds in crushed rib sabots and Blackhorn 209.

With the plastic bullet tip I figured it would be senseless to try a bullet puller so I headed to town to try to find a CO2 discharger. My town only has one gun shop and 2 hardware stores so I made the rounds to no avail. I came home to order one from Cabella's but first decided to try the bullet puller. I managed to pull the plastic tip off with the hole in the ramrod and get the bullet puller screwed into the hollow point. A vice and some muscle finished the bullet pulling. Then I used a long patch puller to get the sabot out. That broke the patch puller but not until the sabot was out . Then I went and shot out the second load.

Talk about relief! I have never been successful trying to pull a bullet before but the sbot didn't grab it as tight as rifling does.

I will only deal with one gun at a time from now on. Embarassed

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME   Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME Empty2014-10-14, 17:35

I hear you on that! I am real picky now about loading. I still catch myself on the range and always double check the rifle before I shoot, especially when I get side tracked.
Back to top Go down
hawgslayer

hawgslayer

Number of posts : 3690
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME   Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME Empty2014-10-14, 17:48

nono
Seems like you always start to second guess your self when loading especially when other shooters join you at the range and start talking to you. I always run my range rod down the barrel and check to make sure it lines up with the mark on the rod denoting empty headslap

Ray........ :rtup

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME   Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME Empty2014-10-14, 18:02

I have yet to be in bad enough straights to try it, but I have heard you can replace the nipple with a zerk fitting and push a load out with grease. Of course you then have the problem of a grease filled bore but that is easier to fix than a stuck load.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME   Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME Empty2014-10-14, 18:03

I hate it when I go to load up powder charges, I actually redo the measure 3 or 4 times because I wasnt sure if I messed up on the measure adjustment or not LOL. I think I have what some people have where they have to wash their hands 5 or 6 times in a row LOL.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME   Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME Empty2014-10-14, 18:23

At least you caught it. I almost didn't once. I had loaded the gun to go hunting once. I forgot the reason now, but ended up going to the range the next day instead. I rammed another load down, and didn't notice it, because I was using a range rod that is way too long. Someone was talking to me when I was loading, and it took my mind off what I was doing. Which is another reason I don't like ranges.

I sat down to shoot, but I felt uneasy about something. It made me slow down, and think about it. A little voice was talking to me. You know that little voice we have when something is wrong. Then it dawned on me that I had loaded the gun at home the day before. I was only seconds away from pulling the trigger. It would have been an Optima, 100gr BH 209, and Thor 300gr bullet x two. Not good.

We all need to concentrate what we're doing when shooting muzzleloaders. I don't talk to anybody when i'm shooting now.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME   Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME Empty2014-10-15, 07:22

@Randy Johnson wrote:
I have yet to be in bad enough straights to try it, but I have heard you can replace the nipple with a zerk fitting and push a load out with grease. Of course you then have the problem of a grease filled bore but that is easier to fix than a stuck load.

I tried to buy a grease fitting with the proper thread (6-.75 mm). HA! "Say what??"
I bought a metric tap & die set and an assortment of fittings. After filing, grinding and trying to thread the most likely one, I aborted that and used the bullet puller.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME   Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME Empty2014-10-15, 09:51

Off the subject, but....
Every time I hear mention of grease fittings I think of a story I heard years ago. The guy telling it  was the victim so I have no doubt it is true.

He was in the Air Force, and thought the greatest practical joke in the world was greasing other people's tools. He always made sure that his were locked away in his tool box when he wasn't around so no one could return the favor.
One Monday he came on duty to find that over the weekend his tool box had been tapped for a Zerk  and....... well, you can guess the rest of it.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME   Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME Empty2014-10-15, 10:35

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

PostSubject: Re: Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME   Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME Empty2014-10-15, 10:39

I wish I were that creative. Good way to get even. Doh

Back to top Go down

Dang!!! I almost screwed up BIG TIME
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: