Share | 

Accuracy problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tony

Male Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Accuracy problem   October 22nd 2014, 7:18 am

Question, I have an Encore that has been a 1" gun for 10+ years.  All of the sudden it is acting really weird.  Stringing shots vertically.  Groups opening up to 3".  Changed scopes, checked rings and bases, checked forearm for uniform tightness, hinge pin still tight, seated bullet on powder the same, only thing that was wrong, my breech plug (channel and flash hole) was dirty.  Can that cause that kind of inaccuracy or do I need to keep looking?  This one has me puzzled. Maybe replace my breechplug?

Harvester Smooth Sabot
100 gr. BH209-Win 209 Primer

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   October 22nd 2014, 7:30 am

Absolutely the flame channel can cause bad accuracy. I clean mine every 5 shots. Running a drill down it only takes a few seconds.

Also, shots stringing upwards is a sign of a hot barrel. Cool it off more between shots.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   October 22nd 2014, 10:01 am

yep, could be a worn plug flash hole. Stringing is a hard one. Like Pete said, barrel heat or even loose projectile can cause it. I know with the last Hawken I shot with a loose patch load, the 2 shots I took were directly north and south of each other and that for certain was not from barrel heat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Tony

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   October 22nd 2014, 10:23 am

I was pretty frustrated.  I definitely needed more time between shots.  Will purchase a new BP tonight.  Doesn't hurt to have an extra.  Thanks fellas.

Harvester Smooth Sabot

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3300
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   October 22nd 2014, 10:23 am

I like to control whatever ignition variables I can, so I'm a stickler for keeping the flash channel and flash hole clean...especially when going for target groupings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   October 22nd 2014, 10:24 am

Even with a new BP Tony. Get a drill, and keep it clean.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   October 23rd 2014, 6:12 am

With my Winchester primers, my flash channel was crusting up pretty bad after just three shots yesterday.  I think you guys may have solved this one.  My drill bit is coming with me to all shooting sessions from now on.

Harvester Smooth Sabot

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   October 23rd 2014, 6:18 am

Tony wrote:
With my Winchester primers, my flash channel was crusting up pretty bad after just three shots yesterday.  I think you guys may have solved this one.  My drill bit is coming with me to all shooting sessions from now on.
I was waiting tio hear what you found. Glad it turned out to be a small detail Smile

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   October 24th 2014, 6:33 am

Thanks, Greg.  Me too!!  I'm pretty attached to my Encore. To say I was troubled by the problem is a big understatement. That gun has never let me down. It still blows my mind that my breech being dirty had such a profound effect at 100 yds.  I cleaned it (breech) and it settled right back down.  Go figure! Glad I have this forum to fall back on.  It's helped me immensely numerous times.  Especially introducing me to Barnes bullets and Blackhorn.  If I hadn't found you guys, I'd still be pushing 777 pellets and SST's to everyone I knew!  Old and resistant to change..I'm a hard-head, what can I say...

Thanks again, fellas

Harvester Smooth Sabot

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rsrocket1

Male Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   October 25th 2014, 8:51 pm

Tony,
I hear you.  Interestingly enough I was trying some of that "don't clean between shots" stuff with Alliant BlackMZ and Lee REAL bullets this week too.  I always clean between shots with both sides of a dry patch and can get 1" or so @ 50 yards.  I tried not cleaning between shots and the bullet went down just as easily, but the shots started to drift to the right with each shot until it went wide by about 6" and I saw it hit the berm way off to the right.  I was afraid my scope broke, but decided to swab after that shot and the groups closed right back up again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   October 26th 2014, 5:22 am

Tony wrote:
Thanks, Greg.  Me too!!  I'm pretty attached to my Encore. To say I was troubled by the problem is a big understatement. That gun has never let me down. It still blows my mind that my breech being dirty had such a profound effect at 100 yds.  I cleaned it (breech) and it settled right back down.  Go figure! Glad I have this forum to fall back on.  It's helped me immensely numerous times.  Especially introducing me to Barnes bullets and Blackhorn.  If I hadn't found you guys, I'd still be pushing 777 pellets and SST's to everyone I knew!  Old and resistant to change..I'm a hard-head, what can I say...

Thanks again, fellas
cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers  We've all been there Tony.....especially the "resistant to change" part, LOL!! Just glad it was a simple fix & you're back in business Smile

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   October 26th 2014, 8:53 am

rsrocket1 wrote:
Tony,
I hear you.  Interestingly enough I was trying some of that "don't clean between shots" stuff with Alliant BlackMZ and Lee REAL bullets this week too.  I always clean between shots with both sides of a dry patch and can get 1" or so @ 50 yards.  I tried not cleaning between shots and the bullet went down just as easily, but the shots started to drift to the right with each shot until it went wide by about 6" and I saw it hit the berm way off to the right.  I was afraid my scope broke, but decided to swab after that shot and the groups closed right back up again.

The only powder you don't swab between shots is BH 209.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CW3SF1937

Male Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   November 2nd 2014, 7:48 am

I shoot CCI mag 209 primers & 209 powder & wait at lease 5 min. between shots ans shoot 1 MOA from my Lead Sled.

Cleaning my BP on my T/C bonecollector is done "very carefully". After the first cleaning with soap and water followed buy solvent I then set it upright a pour Hoppys #9 into the flashhole. I stop when I can
see daylight through it.

So far "never a missfire", or accuracy issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   November 2nd 2014, 10:44 am

Muley wrote:
rsrocket1 wrote:
Tony,

The only powder you don't swab between shots is BH 209.
While it's true Muley you can get away without swabbing between shots with BH209, I prefer to run a dry patch twice down the barrel between shots using BH209 to remove the visible residue.  If one prefers not to swab between shots when sighting in, then they should enter the woods with their barrel fouled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   November 2nd 2014, 10:50 am

I might have to do the same thing on the range Marty. The bore on my Wolf is really tight. Even with the Barnes T-EZ it's a struggle to get them down on a clean bore. 2nd shot without swabbing was a real struggle, and I tried a 3rd shot, and thought is was going to get stuck half way down.

I need to get some JB, and polish it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   November 2nd 2014, 11:06 am

Muley, I had the same issue with my Kodiak Pro in having a very tight barrel (29").  I scrubbed the barrel with JB Bore cleaner, then switched over to the ribbed sabots.  That solved my tightness problem and I still have a great shooter.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accuracy problem   

Back to top Go down

Accuracy problem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: