HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

CVA Accura V2 w/ Hornady Great Plains 385gr Load Data

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idahome

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-11-07

PostSubject: CVA Accura V2 w/ Hornady Great Plains 385gr Load Data   November 7th 2014, 5:04 pm

Just picked up a Accura V2 and want to get it dialed in. Went to the range today and shot @ 50 yards with no accuracy whatsoever. The bullets went everywhere. I was using 125 gr of Pyrodex Rs to begin with then went to 105 gr with the same bad results. The Hornady Great Plains loaded well to begin with but became difficult to start after about 5 shots. I ran a dry patch down the bore after each shot. I'm using the CCI Musket Caps and had 1 misfire with those out of 8 shots. My Pyrodex is pretty old (15-20 years) but it was sealed and dry. The Hodgdon load data only shows 80 and 100 grain data for Pyrodex, am I to assume that is the range for best accuracy? My goal is to be deadly out to 200 yards, and I'll be primarily hunting elk with this setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 w/ Hornady Great Plains 385gr Load Data   November 7th 2014, 5:20 pm

I threw out all my old Pyrodex when it showed irregular results. I use real black powder which has a shelf life of about a century or so.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 w/ Hornady Great Plains 385gr Load Data   November 7th 2014, 6:02 pm

wow super old powder!

Next time get some fresh RS, start with 80gr volume, swab the bore clean with a damp patch after each shot and see how that does for you.

Welcome to the forum as well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Idahome

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-11-07

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 w/ Hornady Great Plains 385gr Load Data   November 8th 2014, 8:23 pm

Thanks for the welcome,

Bought some 777 verses pyrodex and picked up some powerbelts 348 gr purelead and rws caps. 777 is definitely dirtier than pyro and the rws caps worked good but the first one did not fire first shot. Never had a no-fire with the CCI caps and they seem to fit better. Shot one Hornady GP bullet, went to load the next after a damp swab and it would not load past 10 inches. Probably the 777s fault. Reloaded with PB and accuracy was pretty good with 85 gr 777. Went to 100 gr 777 and accuracy was still about the same at 50 yards. Moved back to 100 yards with gun resting on knees and shot right about 6" and high 3" from the 50 yard bullets, could have been the knees. Ran out of time...will report back after next session.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVA Accura V2 w/ Hornady Great Plains 385gr Load Data   

Back to top Go down

CVA Accura V2 w/ Hornady Great Plains 385gr Load Data
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: