Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Loading blocks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Loading blocks   November 10th 2014, 7:21 pm

For those of you that use wooden loading blocks. QUESTION! Do you ever leave them all loaded for a week or so? I am looking into either buying or making a couple for my rifles and am concerned about the wood soaking up the lube and even the air drying it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Standing Bear

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   November 10th 2014, 9:28 pm

No Indians here and not gonna shoot more than one deer, elk, moose, hog or buffler (too much work) so I quit worrying about quick loading. Made some but yes patches dried out pretty soon so I went to a short strip of greased up patch material tied to the bag strap, couple o balls in an easy to get to pocket of the bag.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   November 11th 2014, 2:39 am

I had that happen (drying out) so I changed lubes in the block from mink oil to lard/beeswax mix. I have used the loading block once in the field and it worked fine even though it had been 'loaded' for over a month.
I didn't get a second shot but when I did shoot, accuracy was acceptable.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   April 11th 2018, 10:46 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
For those of you that use wooden loading blocks. QUESTION! Do you ever leave them all loaded for a week or so? I am looking into either buying or making a couple for my rifles and am concerned about the wood soaking up the lube and even the air drying it up.

Jon I have left loading blocks loaded as long as from one season to the other, then soaked with patch lube and shot to be sure the rifle was still on. Last couple of shots are new loads. Have done this for years, probably to lazy to unload like most do, but it works for me.

Talking about loading blocks I have used this chart for years (copied from an old Dixie Gun Works catalog - back cover). Have one in a protective sleeve (see through plastic) hanging on the wall above workbench for reference (getting old sucks can't remember crap) ....

Diameters for Loading Blocks

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   April 11th 2018, 11:15 am

I've had one loaded for months.  I just pushed a ball out when I seen your post. Still lubed, didn't dry out.  I used Frontier's Anti-Rust and Patch lube.  The only thing I noticed was the patch took on a little color of stain.  I stained the block and probably didn't let it cure long enough before loading the block.  The PRB was plenty good and ready to be shot. 

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   April 11th 2018, 12:16 pm

lol yep that will happen Joe. Kind of like a stained wood stock with linseed oil finish. If the stain doesnt dry and you rub the stock down, it tends to leech out.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   April 12th 2018, 6:37 pm

Jon I didn't forget you, I'm still looking for some of the original loading blocks we have collected. Did find a few gang blocks (used on fort walls, hung in different locations, usually for large calibers as most were issued muskets). 

Blocks along with some misc. antique items that we now see being reproduced.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   April 12th 2018, 6:44 pm

The top middle, is that a knife sharpener Buck? Always love looking at your pictures!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   April 12th 2018, 6:47 pm

Also, what is this little gadget?

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   April 13th 2018, 9:49 am

Top center is an oil stone for sharpening your knives and edged tools. I put this picture on the Internet about 10-12 years ago. Now you see "turn screws", hand forged pliers, combination tools and other hand forged tools being made and available for sale. Tools a hundred years ago that were just average items available in every town or settlement. 

Here are a few more pictures of our collection to give you an idea of life in the colonies wasn't as hard as we were told. It's all about using what you have and going with the flow. Hell if this was all you had, you just adapted and lived with it guys. When I was growing up I heard my family repeat this many times and "I dealt with it". Today the kids would call the cops on you for child abuse. Most is on loan to several museums since moving to new location, once settled I may go get these items back and setup my own mini museum, have to see what the grandkids think about the idea. Really have to watch as stuff on loan seems to disappear over time.

Have always liked good condition wares, no matter what it was. We would buy, sell or trade for anything we didn't have, then high grade for the best of that item we could find (like a "one up" game).

Shot and ball bags came in different sizes, hard to date some of these.

You wouldn't believe how many times I have sent this picture to guys wanting to build a correct compass. The little brass compass sold today is very close to ones seen here, a good repro.

These barrels are some of the best condition ones around, several coopers have copied these. Now on loan to the Denver History Museum.

Here are some neat original vent picks and pan brushes like seen available today. I always like to look at the handmade chains.

The cook pot on the left was made by Goose Bay Workshops 40 years ago even before he stamped anything, copied from the original on the right that 150 years old. Once Peter had a stamp I sent him this pot and had it stamped so down the road someone didn't try and sell it as an original (this happens a lot guys). I have carried the GRW pot to cook out of, wash myself, wash my clothes or use as a storage vessel.

A few items used in loading your rifle in daily life.

The loading block is a good example there were such things used that some claim never were. Good prove that even today with the education available some never learn. Like pouring water in a boot and watching it leak out, not much stays were it was put.

Last edited by Buck Conner on April 13th 2018, 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   April 13th 2018, 10:07 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
Also, what is this little gadget?

I have asked the same question to Charles E. Hanson Jr. at the Museum of the Fur Trade years ago. He thought it was like I was told by my grandfather "a tool used on European musket locks", seems no-one knew what kind of musket or country or how it was used. My father got in a box of old gun parts back in the '50s from Turner Kirkland.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   April 13th 2018, 10:10 am

hmmmm that is an odd little gadget then lol.
Back to top Go down
Rick N Bama

Male Number of posts : 91
Location : North Alabama smack dab in the heart of Tornado Alley!
Registration date : 2017-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   April 13th 2018, 3:17 pm

That little gadget looks like it might be a cutter for an RB Mold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   April 13th 2018, 4:50 pm

Hanson thought it was part of a tool used with another piece (missing) for compressing the main spring.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loading blocks   

Back to top Go down

Loading blocks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: