Share | 

NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
org57

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-01-07

PostSubject: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 17th 2014, 8:21 am

I spoke with Mark Hendricks (BPI/CVA), about the possibility of the NITRIDE finish possibly wearing off over a period of time, or possibly scratching and flaking with the use of the ram rod down the barrel. He advised that when the NITRIDE finish was originally applied to the muzzleloader during experimentation, they took a knife blade and scraped it up and down the barrel and the only silver that was showing on the barrel was from the knife blade, NO damage to the finish. He also stated that he "fired a muzzle loader with the PYRODEX powder and then placed it in his office closet for a year and then took it out and ran a patch through it and it came out spotless". He did advise not to leave your gun for a year without cleaning it, hahah.
I had some worries about the finish wearing off over a period of time, and I own the silver ACCURA V2 in the stainless, which Jon cleaned and sighted in in the "HOW TO VIDEO". So after that information from the "horses mouth" I will be buying the ACCURA V2, 50cal with the NITRIDE finish
I also asked Mark if they were going to manufacture the loose powder breech plug with the NITRIDE finish on it, which would match the finish on the gun, instead of having to use a silver plug with loose powder. He stated that when they attempted to place the NITRIDE on the plug it made the seal gasket hard and brittle. He did state that he could put a black finish on the outside part of the plug which you un-screw the plug, but not on the part that goes inside the barrel. He is going to have one done and send it to me and I will provide a picture for you guys. Hope this is helpful.

Just thought I would pass this info on. Good hunting and keep your powder dry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 17th 2014, 8:59 am

It doesn't come off, because it's not a finish. It's a metal treatment that is deep in the metal. The black color is just a reaction to the metal treatment.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 17th 2014, 10:42 am

Thats great news Fred!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Alpha8D

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-11-12

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 17th 2014, 7:22 pm

Is the CVA Accura nitride over a stainless barrel or is it on a carbon steel barrel?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 17th 2014, 7:50 pm

stainless
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Remi

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 18th 2014, 4:45 am

Nitride is basically an oxidized layer of nitrogen diffused into the surface of the metal, not a finish applied on top of it - it forms a case hardened surface and is extremely tough. Your ramrod won't scrape it off but it will do a number on your ramrod.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alpha8D

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-11-12

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 18th 2014, 11:09 am

I wonder what the surface roughness is compared to the button riifled surface inside those bagara barrels without it? If it takes metal off the rod or as the CVA guy said, off the knife blade, there must be some roughness.
I recall from my manufacturing engineering days nitriding on fasteners sometimes cracked them if the process wasn't carefully controlled. Each batch went to the lab for incoming receiving quality testing before going to the line.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Remi

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 18th 2014, 11:13 am

I don't know the quantified value but I agree that it's rough - my ramrod is scraped down to bare metal and the brass jag is getting beat too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 18th 2014, 11:41 am

The CVA ramrod will do that with all the barrels. It's just painted.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
todaupah

Male Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 23rd 2014, 2:03 pm

Was really considering buying s CVA mountain rifle with nitride finish. So what are you guys seeing in this rifle? Is it a good way to go? Was considering the Remington new muzzleloader too...found one nib for $449 locally.Seems like a good buy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cvilorio
FML's
FML's

Number of posts : 1571
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 23rd 2014, 4:20 pm

todaupah wrote:
Was really considering buying s CVA mountain rifle with nitride finish. So what are you guys seeing in this rifle? Is it a good way to go? Was considering the Remington new muzzleloader too...found one nib for $449 locally.Seems like a good buy.
I would go ahead and buy the MR, it is just a incredible gun. If you found a Remington Ml 449.00 I can tell you is not the new ULTIMATE ML which Remington just came out with. The new one runs 830.00, the one you found is the old model made for them by Traditions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 23rd 2014, 4:28 pm

You will find out with the MR, that it will like just about any bullet that you will want to try with it, As far as powder, 100 to 110 gr of BH 209 will give you some accurate loads. 

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hudgic

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 23rd 2014, 6:02 pm

I've got one I love it only one hunt with it but no scratches or flaking easy to clean and shoots very well u can not go wrong with the MR
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 23rd 2014, 6:40 pm

I have t go along with Carlos & Dave on the MR. Fantastic gun & Carlos is the guy you want to buy it from. 910-692-7936 (Ed's Gun Shop) It is a very accurate & easy to shoot rifle. I use 110gr BH209 with all my loads & I haven't found anything that it really won't shoot well.

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
todaupah

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 23rd 2014, 6:49 pm

cvilorio wrote:
todaupah wrote:
I would go ahead and buy the MR, it is just a incredible gun. If you found a Remington Ml 449.00 I can tell you is not the new ULTIMATE ML which Remington just came out with. The new one runs 830.00, the one you found is the old model made for them by Traditions.
Sorry...yeah I meant I found a nib CVA mountain rifle nitride for $449..   Im consider the Remington ultimate and know there pricey. Want to ask about the Rem Ultimate too but couldn't figure out where to talk about a modern inline on this forum. Don't want to break any  rules
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 24th 2014, 9:19 am

HUH? You don't think the MR is a modern inline?

This is the right forum.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
todaupah

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 24th 2014, 10:31 am

Muley wrote:
HUH? You don't think the MR is a modern inline?

This is the right forum.
Im refering to the Rem Ultimate...wasn't sure where to adk about it here. Didn't know if ok to ask on CVA page?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   November 24th 2014, 10:47 am

I know what you meant, but the Remington is just an inline with a different ignition system. This forum is for all inlines, except smokeless.

The traditional forum is for all sidelocks. and anything else from that era.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)   

Back to top Go down

NITRIDE FINISH (SCRATCHING/FLAKEING)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: