My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14516
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   November 26th 2014, 6:33 pm

Found this on an online auction and hit the buy now after a couple others were bidding cheaply. At best I would have saved MAYBE $20 and I wasn't willing to risk losing it.

With my other Hawken sold, I decided another project was in order and about crapped my pants when I read that TWO barrels comes with this NIB CVA Hawken kit.

A 50 cal and a ..... dun dun dunnnn!!! 12 gauge shotgun barrel!

Last edited by FrontierGander on December 24th 2014, 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
DE_Shooter

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-10-30

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   November 26th 2014, 7:28 pm

cheers Great find!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TScottW99

Male Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2014-10-12

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   November 27th 2014, 4:42 am

Sweet! I've always liked he idea of a BP shotgun.  Looking forward to your posts.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   November 27th 2014, 5:40 am

I try really hard not to post things that rain on someone's parade but.......

You are going to have a problem with the butt-plate in the shotgun mode. The hook at the top will eat your shoulder like you won't believe. Many, many, many years ago I bought a fullstock flint shotgun at Friendship that came with a rifle-style butt-plate. After the first few times I shot it I took into the shop and held it on the grinder until there was no longer anything sticking out on the top. It wasn't pretty, but it didn't hurt to shoot it anymore.
That gun had a full choke barrel that was simply awesome - if tight patterns were what you were after. If you were on target you destroyed what you were shooting at. If you were off a tad, you missed. I was mostly into trap and wing shooting back then and the gun and I just didn't like each other. I sold it to a friend who cleaned up the butt-plate alteration and turned it into a nice looking shotgun. Sadly, Ron is no longer around, but while his health was still good he and that shotgun bagged a lot of turkeys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   November 27th 2014, 12:19 pm

those curved plates have to be held on you upper bicep area. A lot of folks try shouldering them like a regular centerfire with a flat recoil pad and thats just going to KILL the shooter! I plan on getting either a strap on shoulder pad or one of those shirts that has it built in. We'll see how she goes first.
Back to top Go down
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5243
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   November 27th 2014, 2:46 pm

Just a guess but I imagine getting the stock inletted/bedded to allow complete interchangeability of the 2 barrels may wind up being quite a challenge.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   November 27th 2014, 3:19 pm

Not at all, thats the way these were made. One tang does it for both barrels. This one however seems to use a button style breech which means I will have to order a button tang for my own hawken and just swap that out.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3300
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   November 27th 2014, 8:57 pm

BP scatter-gun...N-i-i-ice Exclamation  addition to your collection FG   Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   November 30th 2014, 6:56 pm

That was a good find, my friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1304
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   December 8th 2014, 10:08 am

What a great find.  A round ball barrel and a shotgun barrel on the same stock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   December 8th 2014, 6:04 pm

Man if its the 1:66 twist i may keep the whole dang thing!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   December 11th 2014, 10:09 pm

Got it in today! Had a bit of sadness when I looked at the stock and someone had worked on it and did a piss poor job to the point its actually firewood. They removed HALF the wood on one side by the tang and then really did a job by the trigger guard when trying some make it fancy or something. It was a real bubba " no offense to my dog" job on it.

I contacted the seller, sent pictures and he's going to refund me enough to buy a new stock for it from deer creek to make up for the mistake. He thought it was just a rough shaped stock and didnt realize someone had worked on it.

The barrels are pristine on the inside! I will brown both barrels since the bluing is splotchy from long term storage.

I already have the 12g barrel mounted onto my Hawken stock and am staining the ramrod for the barrel. Its going to hurt! Its maybe 7lbs with that thin barrel on it.

Now to figure out what twist that .50cal bore has!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   December 11th 2014, 10:52 pm

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   December 12th 2014, 3:15 pm

wee doggy! Expensive little booger after you add all 3 components needed. Still have to find the #7 lead shot to.
Back to top Go down
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   December 14th 2014, 5:58 am

I can see a turkey hunt in the near future ! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   December 18th 2014, 2:06 pm

Allrighty, the seller gave me the money for a replacement stock, so I got that all ordered along with damn near every other screw that was missing LOL. Almost $30 just for missing screws!

Oh well,in the end it will be worth it and not even a second thought.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   December 24th 2014, 11:56 am

Got the new stock and everything else I needed, in today. I will have to order the other butt plate as there are 2 available. Mine needs the longer one to fit correctly.

I got the tang set into place along with the barrel and just finished bedding the tang with JB Weld. It worked great on my last project so we will see how it does once more.

Slow and steady is the key.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   December 24th 2014, 5:55 pm

Ohhhh yeah!
I have 4 holes to drill but will do that later down the road when I am ready.

I noticed a little side  to side wiggle at the forward section of the barrel and so I reinforced the wedge key area and the nose piece section with JB Weld and have that setting up.

Both the 50cal and 12 gauge barrel drop right into the stock perfectly.

Triggers are all worked on and adjusted.

Will have to do my usual and polish the hell out of the lock for silk smooth operation.

I like it! Going good so far. Now to just buy a new supply of sanding paper and some bluing stripper, I can get to the real work.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   December 25th 2014, 5:33 pm

It shoots freakin sweeeeeet! I destroyed a target at 30 yards tonight with just under 1oz 7 1/2 shot and a massive 50 grain Goex 2f powder charge! I'll take a picture tomorrow.

So far so good. Recoil was nothing whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Lobo 1

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2014-12-22

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   December 30th 2014, 6:28 am

I predict a turkey in your future. :rtup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED   

Back to top Go down

My first BP Shotgun! BUILD HAS STARTED
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: