HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Report on First Shooting New CVA Accura V2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kahuner

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-12-06

PostSubject: Report on First Shooting New CVA Accura V2   December 10th 2014, 9:01 am

This takes place over the last 5 days.

I had done a lot of reading on how to tweak performance of a CVA Accura V2 so when I got the rifle home I started measuring the breech plug, primers and firing pin bushing etc.

I fired 2 primers and found they did not seal very well at all. No powder, just the primer. This is using the original flat nose breech plug. No sense in shimming or worrying about a breech plug that I'm not going to use so I set the rifle aside until I received the new breech plug from CVA meant for Blackhorn 209. While I'm waiting for the breech plug, I ordered o-rings and firing pin bushing shims. I wanted to be prepared.

The breech plug arrives, I come home and installed per the video instructions made by either CVA or WP can't remember which using the special wrench. With the breech plug installed I sorted 10 primers for overall length in preparation of determining how many shims will be required. Picked one of the shortest ones (.294") checking for crush just by closing the breech. I'm using Federal 209's. The firing pin bushing is flush to the receiver measuring w/ a machinist's steel rule and light. It's dead flush.

Opened the breech and measured the primer........... same as new. O/A length is .294". No crush at all!!

Hmmmm........ ok that's not good so I tried one of the longest primers which was .299". Closed the gun, took out the primer, measured again, same length. Shitballs!!

Going back to one of the shortest primers, I loaded the rifle to sight-in and test primer seal at the same time.

After firing, I opened up the rifle and the primer was stuck. Had to pry it out with a screwdriver. Opening and closing the breech was no problem. The stuck primer could've been the result of cleaning solvent residue.

Reloaded and fired the second time. This time the primer comes right out. There is a PERFECT seal on the bottom of the primer to the breech plug and the firing pin bushing!! Looked at the first primer fired (the one that got stuck) and it also had a perfect seal to both the firing pin bushing and the breech plug. Thought to myself looks like I'm not going to need the shims or the O-rings. WTF?

Now this brings me to my question.

Measuring both fired primers, they grew in length going from new at .294" to after firing .314". The diameter swelled from .242" to .250" after firing. It seems to me that the swelling of the primer is what creates the seal to a clean burn. Yes; no; maybe sometimes?

Did I get lucky and all of the concern about spacing this and shimming that all hooplah?

Your thoughts?

2. Rem 700 45 cal. Build In-Progress by
J. Hankins Smokeless/ Sabot-less
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Report on First Shooting New CVA Accura V2   December 10th 2014, 10:22 am

they'll come out clean now and then. The swelling is actually from the primer smacking into the front of the firing pin bushing. Winchester W209 primers do this the worse.

If its clean, leave it as is and enjoy!

How was the group?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Kahuner

PostSubject: Re: Report on First Shooting New CVA Accura V2   December 10th 2014, 2:05 pm

Maybe I should add;

when I first shot just the primers to see if they fire clean, there was no powder charge and the primers were filthy.

Didn't do anything but put in powder and a bullet/ sabot. Pulled the trigger and the primers were clean.

I think the powder bullet had an effect on sealing the primer. Yes, no?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SCHUNTER

Male Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2012-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Report on First Shooting New CVA Accura V2   December 10th 2014, 2:53 pm

Yes the bullet and sabot will have an effect on primer sealing vs just firing a primer on an empty gun.

.45 Knight Ultra Lite/Brux 1:20 Twist
.45 McRem SML Black Ice
.45 Hankins SML
.40 RemPac SML
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kahuner

PostSubject: Re: Report on First Shooting New CVA Accura V2   December 12th 2014, 8:20 am

FrontierGander;

You asked about the group size.

I'm short on bullets and our muzzleloader season had already started so I didn't get the chance to work on group size.

I fired 2 shots total. The first was low by about 6" after bore sighting and 1/4" to the right. Second shot after a scope adjustment hit the bullseye, about 1/4" to the right. I called it good!

That was on this last Tuesday. Wednesday late afternoon I got a Buck. It was a head-shot.

1 shot, no tracking, picked him up with my Gator (no dragging) and I call that a very good year!!

I'll report back on group size after I receive my bullets, powder and primers. Should be next week.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Report on First Shooting New CVA Accura V2   December 12th 2014, 10:18 am

:rtup
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Report on First Shooting New CVA Accura V2   December 12th 2014, 10:54 am

Good going Shooter

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Report on First Shooting New CVA Accura V2   

Back to top Go down

Report on First Shooting New CVA Accura V2
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-