Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Inline_vs hamer and cap

Go down 
AuthorMessage
robm1093

robm1093

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Inline_vs hamer and cap Empty
PostSubject: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 12th 2014, 8:31 pm

Just wondering if inlines are more reliable than a hammer and cap  or are they just essayer to clean?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16318
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 12th 2014, 9:22 pm

Easier to clean, easier for a new shooter to get used to as its more like your centerfire that we all grew up on.

Sidelocks can be a little stubborn if you are using pyrodex, american pioneer or triple 7 powder as they need a hotter ignition source to be 100% reliable.

With my Hawken and Goex or Olde Enysford black powder, I will easily say its 100% sure fire. Black powder ignites easy and when you can get it, GET IT, especially if you are shooting a sidelock.

Even you inline will misfire or hangfire due to the powder and lack of spark to the powder.
Back to top Go down
robm1093

robm1093

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 14th 2014, 7:11 am

Ok, so with pyrodex its not as reliable but are you saying your Hawkens  works  grate with pyrodex 100% of the time or was that 100% of the time with black powder?
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10397
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 14th 2014, 8:33 am

He meant with black powder. I will add that a sidelock can give you problems in wet weather, but that can be avoided with some precautions.

A little added insurance in a sidelock for 100% ignition is to use musket caps. Especially, if you use Pyrodex, or T7. The #11 caps will work ok, but the longer, hotter flame from the musket caps is better.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 14th 2014, 10:26 am

100% with black powder.

With the sub powders, you'll find that 3f pyrodex or triple 7 will be more reliable since its smaller grains will set off easier and flow better into the bolster.
Back to top Go down
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 14th 2014, 7:53 pm

Jon is 3f Pyrodex the same as Pyrodex Pistol ?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 14th 2014, 7:56 pm

Yes, Pyrodex P.
Back to top Go down
Huntin_Dawg1215

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 6:03 am

thanks I might try some of that. Would you cut by 10grns ?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 11:16 am

yes I always cut 3f by at least 10 grains.
Back to top Go down
Huntin_Dawg1215

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 7:59 pm

O.K. thanks
Back to top Go down
buckheart

buckheart

Male Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 21st 2014, 7:23 pm

I know a few guys who don't consider inlines real muzzleloaders. I've heard it said that an inline is just a fussy single shot

How's that for a troll post
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 22nd 2014, 2:47 am

@buckheart wrote:
I know a few guys who don't consider inlines real muzzleloaders. I've heard it said that an inline is just a fussy single shot

How's that for a troll post

Consider me a troll.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 22nd 2014, 6:52 am

A failure to keep the flame channel of patent breech guns clear of oil, residue and crud is an invitation to a hangfire or misfire. 

i'm starting to use up the  777 and Pyrodex i've bought on sale over the past 15 years.  My New Englander rifles don't have a problem with Pyrodex or 777 if a few precautions are taken. 

1.  Get the oil out of the bore by swabbing with a patch wet with alcohol, followed by a dry patch. 

2.  Run a bristled pipe cleaner through the flame channel prior to loading the first time. 

3.  Turn the gun lock side down after loading the powder and slap the stock a couple times, this gets powder into the flame channel.
Back to top Go down
Huntin_Dawg1215

PostSubject: Re: Inline_vs hamer and cap   Inline_vs hamer and cap EmptyDecember 23rd 2014, 4:51 pm

falcon I do the same with my New Englander,that you just listed and I have less problems with it going bang when the trigger is pulled.
Back to top Go down

Inline_vs hamer and cap
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: