BigDaddy

Male Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Which would you pick   December 13th 2014, 3:36 pm

Between the 3 here...

1. CVA Wolf
2. CVA Optima
3. CVA Accurra.

Its not for me, I have a new hunter that is looking to buy one. He used my Accurra this year, and really like the thumbhole stock, but I think money may be an issue, but not sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 13th 2014, 3:38 pm

Optima Thumbhole if he enjoyed the Accura thumbhole.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 13th 2014, 3:40 pm

Optima.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 13th 2014, 3:48 pm

X 2 for the Optima

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
org57

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 13th 2014, 4:37 pm

Optima is the choice if money is tight, plus if he is really not happy and gives up muzzle loader hunting the he will not have a great deal invested. If he continues and loves muzzle loaders then I would advise him to go for the ACCURA V2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 13th 2014, 5:22 pm

If cost is an issue.....Optima (thumb hole if that's what he likes)

If it's not Accura MR or APEX (neither of these come in thumb hole)

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smong2000

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2014-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 14th 2014, 1:32 pm

Apex, Accura MR, Optima in that order. Might even put the MR first if you are looking to carry it long distances.  Had the standard V2 for a couple weeks and didn't like the ergonomics but love the MR platform I bought to replace it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlethcoe

Male Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 14th 2014, 1:44 pm

A lot of it will depend on which gun feels better to them, For me that is what I look for.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Remi

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 14th 2014, 2:16 pm

Some people, myself included, like the thumbhole stock at the range but I find it awkward to hunt with (my shotgun and TC Omega have it) which was one of the reasons I bought an Accura MR to try and glad I did but that's my preference of course - all the choices listed will be accurate and there's no "bad" choice IMO just what feels good and how much to invest into it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 14th 2014, 3:39 pm

All three models are accurate, so pick the one that fits you best.

Some stocks are made for scopes, and some for open sights. Make that decision before you buy the gun.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alpha8D

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 15th 2014, 10:45 am

Stock fit.....
When I used to make my own gun stocks I'd put the sights on the gun after in-letting and roughly shaping the stock then close my eyes and put the gun to my shoulder as if shooting off hand. Upon opening my eyes if I wasn't looking right through the sights I'd take a little more off the stock until I did. This closing the eyes bit isn't a bad way to get a rough estimate if the gun fits you.
For my deer rifle a perfect fit is a little different because I hunt in November from a ground blind. I'm heavily dressed, sitting on a 3 legged ice fishing chair with short back and have 11 narrow shooting lanes to monitor in a deep cedar swamp. Also I want to be able to get the gun up silently and have a decent sight picture without a lot of squirming around to re-position my torso for that perfect over the left shoulder shot. This is important because if I squirm and give away my position the big old boys will not present themselves anywhere near my blind for the foreseeable future.
So... Here I want a higher sight line (lower comb on the stock) so when I sit in a chair, with hunting gear on and put the gun up facing straight forward or even slightly to the right I can still get my eye in line with the sights without having to force my face against the stock. Also I usually cut the pull, (length from trigger to butt plate) down to about  13-1/2" so the stock comes up under my coat at the armpit without hanging up.
From about 1980 to 2011 I hunted with a Harrington and Richardson single shot 30-30 that fit me perfectly this way. Then WI changed it's laws and allowed hunting with a scope on a muzzle loader and you can use the same buck and doe tags for 19 days, straight through the regular gun season and muzzle loader season to follow it. This gave me a much longer season. 
In 2012 and 2013 I used a TC Triumph cut down to closely match the fit of my old 30-30. I found the TC barrel too rough and the trigger pull too light to suite me so this year I bought a CVA Accura MR. It is the most accurate ML I've ever shot and has an adjustable trigger and a bore that's really smooth. So I started fitting it to my needs. I adjusted the trigger pull to match my old 30-30 at about 5 lbs, cut an inch off the factory stock, removed the front sling swivel and took off the ram rod ferrules and that silly palm saver gizmo from the ram rod.
This provides a smooth underside of the barrel so I can ease the gun onto the rail around my blind and slide it forward without obstruction.
The stock is still too high and I can't see a way to rework it so before next season I will make a new walnut butt stock that fits me.
Sorry for the long winded response.  ear bug headslap2
Alpha8D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ram2

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 15th 2014, 1:07 pm

Alpha8D wrote:
I found the TC barrel too rough and the trigger pull too light to suite me so this year I bought a CVA Accura MR.

Do you mean the inside of the TC barrel was too rough when seating a bullet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alpha8D

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 15th 2014, 3:11 pm

Yes, inside the barrel but...Hmmm, let me think about that. I'm remembering how much harder it was to push the projectile down the barrel after several shots with BH 209. I had both guns at the range. Now this could be due to a tighter bore. The part that I guess really bothered me was that I could feel slight differences in the force required, easier, harder, easier, harder as the rod went down, as if there were tighter and looser areas. My traditions buckstalker is even more pronounced in this regard, harder and easier sort of cyclical as the rod descends. 
By comparison the CVA Accura button rifled barrel seem absolutely consistant in force required anywhere along the length of the bore. This is all pretty subjective so to be conclusive I suppose the situation should be repeated and the force measured rather than going by feel.
Has anyone else had similar experience?
Alpha8D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anaconda44

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   December 18th 2014, 4:11 pm

Alpha8D wrote:
Yes, inside the barrel but...Hmmm, let me think about that. I'm remembering how much harder it was to push the projectile down the barrel after several shots with BH 209. I had both guns at the range. Now this could be due to a tighter bore. The part that I guess really bothered me was that I could feel slight differences in the force required, easier, harder, easier, harder as the rod went down, as if there were tighter and looser areas. My traditions buckstalker is even more pronounced in this regard, harder and easier sort of cyclical as the rod descends. 
By comparison the CVA Accura button rifled barrel seem absolutely consistant in force required anywhere along the length of the bore. This is all pretty subjective so to be conclusive I suppose the situation should be repeated and the force measured rather than going by feel.
Has anyone else had similar experience?
Alpha8D

yes the Thompson centers are a tighter bore than a cva/. cva bore size is a little larger
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which would you pick   

Back to top Go down

Which would you pick
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: