Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Scope suggestions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigDaddy

BigDaddy

Male Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2009-10-08

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 13th 2014, 8:09 pm

I am throwing around the idea of getting myself a new shotgun. I am looking at the h&r ultra slug hunter. What would you suggest for a Scope to mount on it? Nothing outrages!!! Longest shot would probably be around 100 yards.
Back to top Go down
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 13th 2014, 9:01 pm

Simmons makes a decent slug gun scope, the pro diamond..I had of few of them on slug guns and they held up well...I think traditions has a slug/muzzleloader scope also but dont have any experience with them.
Back to top Go down
DE_Shooter

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-10-30

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 13th 2014, 9:07 pm

There was a guy on the range today with a new H&R 20ga which had a Nikon PROSTAFF 3-9x40 Matte BDC mounted on and he was getting clover leafs at 50 yds with Remington AccuTips Slugs
Back to top Go down
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2011-11-14

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 13th 2014, 10:11 pm

I used a Bushnell DOA 250 on my 20 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter and it worked well. Ballistics wise it is close to a muzzleloader.  I also used a Cabelas 2-7X32 muzzleloading/shotgun scope that came with a CVA Magbolt purchase I made. It was ok for the money. Make sure the rail mounting screws cleaned and thread locked in place.

GregK

Male Number of posts : 3049
Registration date : 2012-01-22

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 14th 2014, 2:59 pm

Redfield Revenge 3-9x42 sabot slug hunter if you want a great scope at a good price,

Leupold 30mm VX-R Firedot 1.25-4x20 with circle reticle if you want premium glass

Scope suggestions Apex-s10McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16319
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 14th 2014, 3:33 pm

Stay away from Burris as I found out today LOL.

I'd look at the Red Field, Nikon, Leupold. Im not sure how a Konus would hold up on a shotgun but even they have got to be better than the Burris.
Back to top Go down
Tony

Tony

Male Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 10:57 am

I had a Nikon Omega with reg reticle on my Ultra Slugger.  It held up to many, many boxes of Lightfield slugs and always held zero.  Loved the eye relief on it.  With a slug gun, you'll appreciate it.

Harvester Smooth Sabot
100 gr. BH209-Win 209 Primer

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS
Back to top Go down
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 11:07 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
Stay away from Burris as I found out today LOL.

I'd look at the Red Field, Nikon, Leupold. Im not sure how a Konus would hold up on a shotgun but even they have got to be better than the Burris.

Your one experience with a Burris (even if it is defective) is not conclusive to say they are a bad scope. Scopes that are very expensive from highly reputable companies can and do break. Especially the ones that you have mentioned as substitutes. While I do prefer Leupold I would not say the Burris is a bad scope. Several of us on this board and many more have used the Burris scopes on heavy kickers without a single problem.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 11:32 am

sorry but we went through this with an AK47. Why spend $400 on a burris when you can get an aimpoint for the same price?

Burris IMO is one step up over a bushnell and this one scope taught me enough.
Back to top Go down
ericcosh

Male Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2013-03-12

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 11:55 am

A Burris FullField ll does not cost $400. They can be had for $150-180ish. Are there other good scopes in that price range? Yes, but it is a competitive option for is price class and I have owned a couple. They are not my favorite scope but they are not bad either. I would certainly put one of them on my gun over a Konus that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
org57

org57

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 5:08 pm

I personally do not have anything against the BURRIS scopes. I tried this one due to my son saying it is a good scope, and never having tried it I gave it a chance. I paid $166.95 for it and now I have paid $199.99 for the LEUPOLD. Both have a great warranty. I just prefer to stick with a scope that I have had great service with.  I am not knocking the BURRIS as I have had problems with LEUPOLD  also. I have decided to return the BURRIS and install a LEUPOLD 3-9x40.
Back to top Go down
Remi

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2014-02-18

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 6:11 pm

I would put Vortex on the same playing field as Leupold
Back to top Go down
org57

org57

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 6:23 pm

true but have never owned one
Back to top Go down
Tony

Tony

Male Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 6:27 pm

I've owned 4 different fullfield II's. One sits on my 7 mm Mag now. They have been strong scopes and have tracked well and held zero. My only complaint would be they need a touch more eye relief. The internals are supposedly top notch. Nikon and leupold with one 7 lb spring holding the erector tube in place while burris has two 7 lb springs doing the same. You get good and bad with everything.

Harvester Smooth Sabot
100 gr. BH209-Win 209 Primer

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS
Back to top Go down
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 6:38 pm

Have to disagree, Ive got a Burris thats been on several hard recoilers and and never any problems...this is why everyone has a opinion...Ive had some 165.00 Bushnells on  very hard recoiling air rifles(RWS 54, 48 and 34) which will tear a scope up quicker then any magnum rifle and have shot thousands upon thousands of pellets with no problems...what happens if Leupold goes bad are they all junk or inferior.. Burris has a forever warranty so if something does happen they fix it no questions asked same as Leupold.

FrontierGandersorry but we went through this with an AK47. Why spend $400 on a burris when you can get an aimpoint for the same price?

Burris IMO is one step up over a bushnell and this one scope taught me enough.

ever
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 8:15 pm

I didnt say they were all junk, I get a bad vibe when you get a brand new one thats bad right out of the box.

I rarely ever use a scope, so I stick with whats been proven to be trouble free for myself. I've had my current scope going on 5 years now, been mounted on EASILY 10 rifles and had shown no signs failure to this date.

I had a bushnell that lasted 200 shots or so. The internals actually collapsed. No point in sending that one back for warranty as it wasnt worth the shipping.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 15th 2014, 10:45 pm

Theres more and they all have been related to muzzle loaders.

"I also purchased a new Fullfield II 3 x 9 for my new T/C Omega last September.  I was enticed by the free Landmark binocular for my boys (I Have 3, all 10 and under) and the recommedation from the clerk at my local Gander Mtn store. During my sight in session I found I could not hold a group.  I called Thompson and they thought the crosshairs were "jumping".  I returned the Scope to Gander for a new Fullfield but did not get it sighted in.  I later shot a buck with the Omega open sights later in December confirming that the rifle was fine.  I attempted to get this new Fullfield sighted in in September of this year and found that it acted the same as the previous defective scope.  I called Gander Mtn and they were nice enough to exchange this scope for me, even after 1 year.  This time I was going to be smart in my desicion and I chose the Nikon Omega since I have had good luck with their Monarch in the past.  I sighted this new scope in recently firing only 14 shots and my last 5 of those were grouped into a 2.75 inch circle.  Needless to say Nikon has my business now and in the future.  Eliminate the headache and stay away from the Burris Fullfield II. "
Back to top Go down
GregK

GregK

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 16th 2014, 6:53 am

Scopes are just like ANYTHING else that you can buy brand new & have a defective model......it happens. When it does it's easy to be soured by the idea. Is it more likely to happen to lower end scopes? Of course. There's a reason that premium scopes cost more money. Doesn't mean you can't get a defective premium scope too, but I sure do read about t a LOT less when premium scopes are involved.

We all have our preferences & that's fine, but I would suggest that everyone remember that the higher the quality, the lower the rate of failure. Warranties are wonderful, but no one wants to keep sending their product back due to failure just because they can.

I have owned Zeiss, Vortex, & Leupold & personally have NEVER had a single problem with any of them. I also have owned the old USA made Burris & they were fantastic. Carlos has used their SIX-X before with no issues. I have blown apart Bushnells, Milletts, & Tascos.

Spend what you can afford on your optics, & if you can go high end......DO IT! Chances are you won't regret it, Greg

2600 ft/s

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
Back to top Go down
BigDaddy

BigDaddy

Male Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2009-10-08

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 16th 2014, 7:25 am

Great post Greg!!!
Back to top Go down
GregK

GregK

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 16th 2014, 10:40 am

@BigDaddy wrote:
Great post Greg!!!
Thanks Smile

2600 ft/s

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
Back to top Go down
Remi

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2014-02-18

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyDecember 16th 2014, 3:06 pm

Very well said!
Back to top Go down
Johnnyb63114

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-06-02

Scope suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scope suggestions   Scope suggestions EmptyJanuary 15th 2015, 9:48 am

Hi. I just saw this post so I might be a little late. I put the Nikon slug hunter/ shotgun hunter 2-7x32 with the BDC reticle on my ultra slug hunter. Have used it several seasons now and am pleased with it. The scope requires a ballistic tip slug so I recommend the Hornady Sst or the Winchester xp3. Mine is a 12 gauge. I have pulled off 80 to 90 yd head/neck shots with ease. Be sure to get the BDC reticle because the slugs really drop after 50 yes. Just my humble experience and opinion. Let me know if you have more questions. I'm not an expert but may have been there and done what you need to know.
Back to top Go down

Scope suggestions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: