Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   December 19th 2014, 9:18 am

Anyone know the barrel twist on the .45 cal. Sporterized Hawken Hunter carbine, I know they are different then the full size Hawken but cannot find any info on them... just picked one up for 185.00 in vg-ex. condition... looking to shoot full bore conicals in it.

Last edited by dbowling on December 31st 2014, 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   December 19th 2014, 10:52 am

I copied this off the Cabelas web site: Cabela's Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine
Rifles are 38-1/2" overall and weigh 6-3/4 lbs. Twist is 1 in 24" barrel length is 21". Right-hand only. Caliber: .50 or .54.

It sounds like the muzzleloader you might have.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alpha8D

Male Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   December 19th 2014, 11:28 am

Just measure the twist. Use a tight fitting patch on the cleaning jag and as you push the rod down the bore keep track of the turns and distance pushed. Then do the math.
Alpha8D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14691
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   December 19th 2014, 11:38 am

Load up a jag or tow worm tight enough that the rifling rotates the rod.  
Make a small mark or two on your rod.  
Measure the linear distance it takes (in or out) for 1/2 revolution.  
Multiply by 2, result is inches per revolution.  Twist rate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   December 19th 2014, 10:17 pm

Thanks guys, know how to do that but havent recieved the gun yet, just bought it last night sent m.o. today, was just trying to get a idea what it was... not sure if the twist would be the same as a .50/.54, must not of been a whole lot of .45`s made as I cant find hardly any info. on them..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   December 31st 2014, 1:44 pm

Hey dbowling,  did you get your rifle yet?  I wanted to hear what the twist was.  I did a little nosing around but couldn't find anything on the .45 cal.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   December 31st 2014, 5:45 pm

Joe,
just recieved it this afternoon, been gone all day and just got back home and cleaned it up a bit but havent had a chance to check it out yet... will try to mess with it tomorrow and will also post some pics of it..

Well tryed to measure the twist and came up with 1/2 turn in 20 in., but have never heard of a 1:40 twist, barrel is 20 in long and mark was right at the 20 in. mark and it end up at 1/2 turn at the mouth of the barrel at 20 in.... heres a pic of gun hopefully..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   January 1st 2015, 5:41 am

I like that rifle, and it very well could be a 1:40,I have never heard one that twist rate either. But you never know. Is that your number one side kick there in that photo also checking out your new rifle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   January 1st 2015, 11:43 am

yeah thats her spot on the corner of the bed so she gets her pic taken alot, she doesnt seem to mind being a Star.Smile
@Huntin_Dawg1215 wrote:
I like that rifle, and it very well could be a 1:40,I have never heard one that twist rate either. But you never know. Is that your number one side kick there in that photo also checking out your new rifle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   January 1st 2015, 3:11 pm

Looks good.  When I went on the Investarms site it looked to me that they made this model in .45, .50, .54.  They call it a "Model 150" and comes in "Rifle or Carbine.  They didn't give very much information on it.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14691
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   January 1st 2015, 3:15 pm

I could have sworn that the 20" version I had had the 1:20 or 1:24 twist. It shot conicals awesome but round balls were a no no in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   January 1st 2015, 4:10 pm

I thought also the carbines were 1:24 in the .50/.54 but not sure if it applied to the .45, I sent a e-mail to Investarms to find out for sure, wether they answer or not is another thing. I hope it will shoot conicals good as thats what I got it for,Jon have you ever tried to shoot a sabotless load in one like a 300 gr. .45 XTP, I set one in the muzzle on mine and it seemed like it was going to be a good fit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   January 4th 2015, 6:30 pm

Well she is a good looking side kick setting with a good looking rifle just so you know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   January 8th 2015, 9:38 am

Well Investarms finally got back with me, the rate of twist is 1:24 which should be great for big ole conicals..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   January 8th 2015, 2:39 pm

@dbowling wrote:
Well Investarms finally got back with me, the rate of twist is 1:24 which should be great for big ole conicals..

I heard that Investarms has restrictions on powder volume and possibly bullet size too. Does your manual refer to that, or is it just a rumor?
Back to top Go down
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   January 8th 2015, 5:48 pm

Dont have a manual but these are made by same people who make Lyman rifles so imagine they are about same quality of metal...seem to be really well made, Ive shot 100 gr. of 3f in my other Cabelas Sporterized Hawken a few times with no ill results.More then likely wont shoot over 90 gr.of Goex 2f anyway shooting conicals..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)   

Back to top Go down

Cabelas/Investarms .45 Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine(pic added last post)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: