Share | 

newbe with ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
270wsmanic

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-01-11

PostSubject: newbe with ?   January 11th 2015, 1:02 pm

Not new to m/l but new to inlines, I have a cva buckhorn would like to try blackhorn 209. Everyone tells me not safe in my m/l is there a different breechplug or whatever that will make it safe or must I stick with 777. My current load is 80gr 777 behind 260gr REEL. After sighting in I had time to shoot 1 100yd group.Was very happy to see them in a 1 3/4 group. The only gripe I have about 777 is the crud ring and having used it in my sidehammer, the fact that in a year or less I start getting clumps in the can of powder. Anyway what say y'all about bh209 in my rifle? Oh yea new to this forum too. Look forward to reading and posting. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14522
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: newbe with ?   January 11th 2015, 1:40 pm

stuck with T7.

The open top style plungers do not have enough force to hold the primer in place. The primer can actually shoot back into your face, making for a not so fun day at the range!

The best thing IMO would be to sell the buckhorn and buy a Wolf or something that will shoot BH209 reliably and safely.

The buckhorn right now, I would never recommend shooting BH209 in or any other plunger style rifle.

Good to have you with us! I am very glad you came here asking about BH209 in that style of rifle. Its just not worth the risk of your eye sight!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
270wsmanic

PostSubject: Re: newbe with ?   January 11th 2015, 10:47 pm

Thanks for getting back with me so quick. Yea I can put up with the crud ring and lumpy powder in the can. Hope the 1 3/4 100yd group wasn't a 1 time thing. temperature here is 4 degrees may be a while before I get to my range to find out. What kind of groups @ 100 do y'all get?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-11-28

PostSubject: Re: newbe with ?   January 12th 2015, 12:08 am

The other option that I did was to convert it to fire musket caps I did this and got the groups you had.
The other advantage was that it was much cleaner, though I still swabbed between shots there is no doubt that if I was in a deer stand I could have loaded a second shot much easier then if I used a 209 set-up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: newbe with ?   January 12th 2015, 1:08 am

Clyde wrote:
The other option that I did was to convert it to fire musket caps I did this and got the groups you had.
The other advantage was that it was much cleaner, though I still swabbed between shots there is no doubt that if I was in a deer stand I could have loaded a second shot much easier then if I used a 209 set-up.

I do not understand your last sentence well. So at some point, you consistently shot Blackhorn 209 with musket caps, in a Buckhorn or Staghorn?
Back to top Go down
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: newbe with ?   January 12th 2015, 1:27 am

I'm sorry you have to use 777 no matter what.  The musket cap combination with the 777 reduces fouling by at least 50 percent over using a 209 PRIMER even the Winchester 777 PRIMERS were far dirtier than using a musket cap, based on what my patches looked like after swabbing the barrel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
270wsmanic

PostSubject: Re: newbe with ?   January 13th 2015, 12:02 am

Wink
Clyde wrote:
Thanks for the reply Clyde, If I understand you correctly  can get 1 3/4 groups @ 100yds with your set up. What bullet. The 250gr REEL is the same bullet and 80gr 777 I used in my sidehammer. With it I could get 2 inch or so groups @ 50yds, and was very pleased to see 1 3/4 @ 100yds with the inline with scope. Only had time for 1 group before dark so am badly wanting to try again to see if the group is repeatable. The buckhorn has a 1:28 twist and was afraid that would be to fast for the short REEL bullet. The sidehammer sights are bead front and ghostring rear a good combo for 63 year old eyes but not as good as a scope. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: newbe with ?   January 13th 2015, 12:38 pm

I used a .50 cal Barnes 275 Gr hollow point that I bought from Carlos from Ed's gunshop.  I then place them between two files and knurled them up to about .5015 diameter which was a little to much frankly I would not exceed .501, then I placed them over a MMP subbase a kind of plastic wad.  Now I will tell you I have gotten 2 inch groups at 100 yds using a 209 primer but my best groups have been with either a musket cap or PR Bullet small rifle primer set-up. There have been theories that the 209 primer can move the charge and bullet slightly causing flyers. I don't know about that but as I have said my best groups have been with the lesser power ignition set up.  I would also tell you to to make sure all the screws on the bottom of the stock are tight,as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: newbe with ?   

Back to top Go down

newbe with ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: