Share | 

CVA Buckhorn Magnum disasembly

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stillhunter

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-09-05

PostSubject: CVA Buckhorn Magnum disasembly   January 18th 2015, 6:45 pm

I have been given a charged rifle, it's been loaded at least a year, more like 2 yrs. I do not have a manual nor the breech plug tool. I assume I can remove the plug/firing mechanism and then unscrew the breech plug w a large, flat screwdriver but I am unable to unscrew the plug/hex on the end of the action. Corrosion is visible in front of the firing mech. and in the muzzle but the plug looks to be lubricated. I have soaked the mech. at the end of the action but it seems i will strip the small hex before it turns. Any advice on removing it?

Last edited by stillhunter on January 18th 2015, 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Buckhorn Magnum disasembly   January 18th 2015, 6:49 pm

Put some penetrating oil down the bore so it will soak around the projectile, then you can PULL it out with a bullet puller worm.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/587/1/RT-CW-7
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
stillhunter

PostSubject: Re: CVA Buckhorn Magnum disasembly   January 18th 2015, 7:49 pm

FrontierGander wrote:
Put some penetrating oil down the bore so it will soak around the projectile, then you can PULL it out with a bullet puller worm.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/587/1/RT-CW-7

That's fine, but I want to remove the breech plug too and remove/clean the action. I'm going to remove the stock and then I assume I can use adjustable pipe pliers or a pipe wrench on the knurled cap w a piece of leather or something to not damage the knurling and unscrew/remove the action?. It's a shame the gun is barely used but I think it may be about ruined.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14527
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA Buckhorn Magnum disasembly   January 18th 2015, 7:53 pm

Well if you get it unloaded first, you can then use a propane torch and heat around the plug on the outside of the barrel. Heat it, apply pressure with the wrench and heat it until it breaks loose. Always had to do that with those style breech plugs if i wasnt careful on the range.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Clyde

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: CVA Buckhorn Magnum disasembly   January 19th 2015, 6:32 am

My advice is to get a co2  ball discharger clear the charge by pointing the weapon in a safe direction, and apply the co2.  Then soak the daylights out of the barrel with kroil oil.  Did the wrench come with it ?  The wrench fits in the plug and with the t section gives you a lot of leverage on the plug, plus you could wrap a towel around the stock after clearing the charge and vise it for additional leverage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: CVA Buckhorn Magnum disasembly   January 19th 2015, 7:32 am

If the breechplug is froze-shut, the now bore-cleaned, loaded rifle probably did not see the breechplug removed and cleaned. So I suspect there's blowback on the threads and those  breechplug threads are pitted-rusted ---- which may mean the end for this ML barrel.

Load oil in the upright bore and use a bullet puller. Once the bullet is pulled, fill the bore with more oil, let sit overnight, dump it and heat the breechplug with a torch outdoors, bore upright. Then try a tool to remove it. If that fails, load the bore with Kroil or similar penetrant oil like Blaster overnight. Try again with heat the next day. It should come out.
Back to top Go down
stillhunter

PostSubject: Re: CVA Buckhorn Magnum disasembly   January 19th 2015, 8:11 am

I have removed the action, BP won't budge, Kroil is soaking in the bore now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVA Buckhorn Magnum disasembly   

Back to top Go down

CVA Buckhorn Magnum disasembly
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: