Share | 

Big/Small revisited

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wanagi

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Big/Small revisited   January 25th 2015, 1:34 am

Hanshi's recent thread on Big and Small got me thinking about what I could post along a similar vein that might be of interest to the forum.

Decided that folks might like to see our yard and house guns.

Here's the yard gun. It sports a 3" rifle bore and will take up to a pound of cannon grade powder. It shoots a cement-filled dog food can quite a ways. The 54" tube is a portion of a 3 inch 50 destroyer barrel. I had a friend make up a miniball-like mold for it--wadded up newspaper serving as a plug--but I've never been able to find a way to pour lead in enough quantity and fast enough to cast with it.

The House gun is a 1.5" smoothbore swivel gun tube from South Bend Replica mounted on an oak naval carriage. It shoots pretty good though we primarily use it as a salute gun at weddings. Despite it's current innocuous use, I placed so that it could be used to repel any and all who choose to breach our front door and I have fantasized about mounting it to a track in the topper of my pick-up to deal with obnoxious tailgaters.

And finally, here's the yard gun in action signalling the start of a local marathon:

Apologies in advance for the poor quality of the pictures.

Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Big/Small revisited   January 25th 2015, 4:18 am

Back in the sixties and into the early seventies, when South Bend Ordinance was still Barney's Cannons, they always had a selection of tubes laying on the ground just inside the main gate. I always lusted for one of them (particularly the coehorn able to fire a quart oil can) but my income as a teenager and later a GI never allowed it.
I still enjoy watching someone else play with full scale artillery, but my desire to have one myself no longer exists. Just as well considering my bank account.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Joe
FML's
FML's

Male Number of posts : 1756
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Big/Small revisited   January 25th 2015, 6:03 am

Holy cow, and I was thinking my .58 cal was a cannon! Shocked

Semper Fi..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Big/Small revisited   January 29th 2015, 1:34 pm

That definitely raises the bar on BIG. I've always wanted a cannon, maybe 1" to 2" bore. I like that you have the house gun aimed at the door; you never know what will happen. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14532
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Big/Small revisited   January 29th 2015, 1:45 pm

I got a cannon, just not traditional like those! One day I will load it up and fire it. Its a huge blast to shoot, but eats up 400 grains of powder per shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Wanagi

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Big/Small revisited   January 30th 2015, 1:03 pm

FrontierGander wrote:
I got a cannon, just not traditional like those! One day I will load it up and fire it. Its a huge blast to shoot, but eats up 400 grains of powder per shot.
Aye. That's the rub. Shooting the yard gun even with a half pound charge gets expensive quick so we don't shoot it much any more.

This and the fact that I've pretty well exhausted my supply of friction primers has put quite a damper on its use. I can set it off with a fuse but it's nerve wracking when I do so in public because I'm always worried that some unthinking individual will wander in front of the muzzle just as the gun is fixing to go off. There's no such thing as a cannon accident, only cannon disasters. Something I want no part of.

Another limit that one doesn't always account for is how far the sound and concussion travels. We've had several instances where we fired the gun off pointed toward the slough and later had folks living along the banks quite a ways away report that they knew we had been up to something because their windows rattled. Pretty cool and spooky at the same time.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big/Small revisited   

Back to top Go down

Big/Small revisited
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: