Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tannhauser

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-09-26

PostSubject: Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?   January 27th 2015, 9:18 am

This past weekend at an estate sale I purchased a Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine in .50 caliber.  It's a very handy little carbine, with the shortest barrel I have ever seen on a ML. It's in pretty good shape, with just a few small areas of surface rust.  It has the look of a traditional sidelock, but the iron sights appear to be modern, with a white bead front and a fully adjustable rear.  I don't know if these were factory, or an aftermarket addition by the previous owner.

I will be the second owner, as the original receipt for the purchase was in the case.  However, other than the ML and the ramrod, nothing else was included.  I asked if the previous owner (deceased) had a ML range box or kit, but none of the people involved in the sale were familiar with firearms or shooting. It would have been handy to have everything I needed all together, but now I need to build up my kit from scratch, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

I don't know how much (or little) kit I'll need to start, and I have a lot of questions:

1) I'm unsure on what BP substitute I should start with.  I know the rifle uses #11 musket caps, so does that rule out using Blackhorn 209?

2) Should I start with a saboted projectile as used for the inlines, or a conical solid bullet? 

3) How do I measure powder for a proper charge?

My first goal is to assemble what I need to fire this thing safely.  My ultimate goal is to develop an accurate load/projectile combination that will be suitable for Eastern whitetail in next year's ML season Very Happy If anyone is interested, I can throw up some pictures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Landngroove

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?   January 27th 2015, 3:47 pm

The T/C White Mountain Carbine in .50 caliber came in two twist rates. The early ones have a 1 in 20" rate, while the later ones had a 1 in 38" rate. If yours has a QLA muzzle it is probably a 1 in 38". You can tell if it is QLA by the rifling. If the rifling lands and grooves go all the way to the end of the muzzle, it does not have QLA. If they stop about an inch from the muzzle (which will be smooth for about 1") it has QLA. Either twist should shoot a saboted bullet, however the 1 in 38" should shoot conicals well. I would not waste my time with substitute powders with the WMC. It will perform best with real black powder. Pellets and Blackhorn will not work in a WMC. Get yourself an adjustable powder measure for the loose black powder. Thw WMC is a great muzzleloader. I have two, but mine are .54 caliber. Let's see some pics !
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?   January 27th 2015, 5:31 pm

No Blackhorn for that sidehammer rifle. That powder needs a hot primer / inline rifle. 
Purchase Pyrodex, Triple Seven or Real Blackpowder.
Back to top Go down
anaconda44

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?   January 28th 2015, 4:03 pm

buy a bullet starter. get one that the end fits sabots or the bullet you are shooting

2. - get a powder measure.

3. buy at least 2 50cal bore brushes and a cleaning jag. you will be cleaning between shots.

4.  download the manual for you gun and it will explain what you need to do.

tc white mountain manual link

[url=http://www.gwmlc.org.nz/Firearm info/Black Powder/MANUALS/TC Black Powder.pdf]http://www.gwmlc.org.nz/Firearm%20info/Black%20Powder/MANUALS/TC%20Black%20Powder.pdf[/url]

stude 283

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?   January 28th 2015, 4:11 pm

Link will not work for me. I have had a WMC for years,but never found a manual. Have you been able to open this link? THANKS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5252
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?   January 28th 2015, 4:14 pm

Non-working link.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?   January 28th 2015, 4:30 pm

here is the link...

http://www.gwmlc.org.nz/Firearm%20info/Black%20Powder/MANUALS/TC%20Black%20Powder.pdf

I had to take the URL tag off the end to make it work for you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anaconda44

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?   January 28th 2015, 4:41 pm

I have a white mountain carbine 50cal. the maual they gave you with the rifle was a general maual that covered a few different guns. I still have mine and I can tell you that the loads they suggest  are the same as the tc scout in 50cal. mine shot the best with 90grns powder and a 240 xtp bullet.
the max charge was 100 grains with a sabot. here is the scout manual
http://stevespages.com/pdf/thompsoncenter_scout_rifle_pistol.pdf

Tannhauser

PostSubject: Re: Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?   January 29th 2015, 2:57 pm

Landngroove wrote:
The T/C White Mountain Carbine in .50 caliber came in two twist rates. The early ones have a 1 in 20" rate, while the later ones had a 1 in 38" rate. If yours has a QLA muzzle it is probably a 1 in 38". You can tell if it is QLA by the rifling. If the rifling lands and grooves go all the way to the end of the muzzle, it does not have QLA. If they stop about an inch from the muzzle (which will be smooth for about 1") it has QLA. Either twist should shoot a saboted bullet, however the 1 in 38" should shoot conicals well. I would not waste my time with substitute powders with the WMC. It will perform best with real black powder. Pellets and Blackhorn will not work in a WMC. Get yourself an adjustable powder measure for the loose black powder. Thw WMC is a great muzzleloader. I have two, but mine are .54 caliber. Let's see some pics !

Thanks Landngroove, that's a really useful bi tof information about the rate of twist.  I'll pull the White Mountain out of the safe this weekend and take a good look, along with some pictures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tannhauser

PostSubject: Re: Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?   January 29th 2015, 2:59 pm

Thanks for the link to the manual.  I've downloaded it and will read as soon as time permits.  I appreciate all the responses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?   

Back to top Go down

Purchased my first ML, TC White Mtn Carbine - now what else do I need before I can shoot it?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: