New to Muzzleloading

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
iccyman001

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-02-07

PostSubject: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:11 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Daniel and I'm an avid hunter.
I was born and raised a gun hunter, but ever since I picked up a bow, it became my passion.
I love the up close and personal interactions. I also like that it puts my skills to the test.

Recently I moved to New Mexico and I've been on a mission to get a nice mule deer.

Well, I found a great unit that has a restricted muzzleloader hunt.

Details: "Restricted Muzzleloader Firearm: Any muzzleloading rifle (including a smoothbore flintlock or musket) using open sights in which the charge and projectile are loaded through the muzzle. Only black powder, Pyrodex or an equivalent substitute may be used. Use of in-line ignition, pelleted powder, sabots, belted bullets, multiple projectiles and scopes is illegal. "

Well, I messaged someone who I know has a plethora of knowledge when it comes to muzzleloader hunting and he's been a great deal of help. He also referred me to this site.

So, here is why I am posting. I'm currently looking for a gun. With the help of Muley (Pete),  I am looking at potentially buying a .50 TC hawkens.
 I want to use it for the mule deer hunt and also have it be effective enough to kill an elk.

Do you all think this is a step in the right direction? For both deer and elk?  Pete made a very good comment and said that it would be better to have something to kill elk and be an overkill on deer verse a gun thats good for deer, but then be under gunned for elk.

Last, I am a lefty with a rifle. Does it honestly matter with a muzzleloader? I own and shoot right hand bolt action weapons with no issue.
I am guessing it's the same?

Thank you for any information that you can pass my way and thank you Pete for sending me to this site.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iccyman001

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:14 pm

I should say, I am very open to other gun recommendations. 
There is no price limit, but at the same time, I want to keep it moderate.

Thank you again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:15 pm

Good to see you here Daniel. We'll get you blowing smoke before long.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iccyman001

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:17 pm

Muley wrote:
Good to see you here Daniel. We'll get you blowing smoke before long.

Thank you for all the help Pete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:22 pm

looks like you're limited to sidelock and lead only projectiles, that helps me a lot! Forget about that H&R I mentioned in the PM, that won't do you any good.

A 54cal shooting patch round ball will easily take down elk. My first BP elk I shot was with a .54cal shooting 80gr pyrodex RS at 140 yards, laying down shot. Her lungs looked like spider webs when I took them out of her. She also went only 60 yards after the shot. I doubt you'll be faced with having to take a long shot like that, especially if you are calling them in, but its good to know, with practice, you can do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:25 pm

How about another .58 Jon?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:27 pm

The H&R is the only 58 I have in stock. Plus the 54 has better ballistics and more energy the last time I looked. You won't notice the extra .004" different when that ball hits. I really wish I had time to take pictures of the damage that .54 223gr round ball did on my elk, it was just unreal.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:32 pm

Not so much the.004, but the extra 50gr weight of the ball. He shoots close, so ballistics are as important.

With that said, the .54 is fine. It's what I used on mine too. As long as you don't try to blast through a shoulder.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
iccyman001

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:33 pm

That polished CVA Hawken that you sent me pictures of has me drooling.
That is one beautiful gun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iccyman001

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:35 pm

Muley wrote:
Not so much the.004, but the extra 50gr weight of the ball. He shoots close, so ballistics are as important.

With that said, the .54 is fine. It's what I used on mine too. As long as you don't try to blast through a shoulder.

I'm not trying to blast shoulders. Just like bow hunting, I am focusing on double lung shots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:35 pm

Remember me saying he'll build one you can be proud of? Now you've seen an example.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:36 pm

iccyman001 wrote:
Muley wrote:

I'm not trying to blast shoulders. Just like bow hunting, I am focusing on double lung shots.
Yes, I know. That's why I said a .54 will work for you.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   February 7th 2015, 9:43 pm

Exactly! With Dan being a bow hunter, that makes traditional patched ball shooting a whole lot easier. Always go for the lungs and not bone. Hell, I suggest that even with a centerfire!

Dan, heres the Hawken you'll have as an option. I do have about 6 others waiting in line for the two that I am building, so its pretty much first come, first serve.
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t8164-hawken-6-build

She is getting the royal treatment inside and out. As for price, When its complete and I take pictures, I'll be able to figure out a price and we'll go from there. Its a pretty rare CVA though with that rifling twist. The cva hawken is a lot more common with the 1:48 twist, so the one being built is basically the holy grail for rifling twists.

I'll have more pictures of it tomorrow after I jewel the lock plate and add another layer of clear. Probably 1 week worth of work still to do to make it the quality that I send out on these rifles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to Muzzleloading   

Back to top Go down

New to Muzzleloading
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: