Share | 

"without wiping"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: "without wiping"   February 18th 2015, 4:04 am

One of the posts on the sticky "patched ball shooters" mentions a lube that allowed over 80 shots without wiping.
 Back when I started this game - and for many years after - it was common practice to immediately blow down the barrel after firing. I have heard others claim that this was done to keep the fowling soft. The reason I always did it was to blow all the stuff that might ignite the next charge out the nipple or touchhole. At some point during the ten plus years I was away from the game, blowing down the barrel became a no-no of major proportions. But that didn't make the issue of getting rid of things in the barrel that might cause the next charge to go off. Since I can no longer blow down the barrel I always, and I mean ALWAYS run a moistened patch down the barrel between each shot. Those who go multiple shots without wiping are obviously not doing the same. So what are you folks doing? Just trusting that you will not send the ramrod sailing skyward and getting some nasty blisters on your fingers? (At best)
For what it's worth, I will not participate in a match that requires speed loading. 'Cept for teeth, I have made it almost 63 years with all the parts I was born with. I want to check out that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1359
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 18th 2015, 7:53 am

i don't swab between shots: Also don't use black powder. My favorite powders are Goex Pinnacle (obsolete) and Black MZ. These leave very little fouling in the bore. When the humidity is high the fouling is soft and that makes loading very easy. In low humidity those powders sometimes leave a buildup of fouling near the muzzle, making starting the ball/bullet/sabot difficult at times. i blow down the barrel or use a moist patch on the short starter.

Years ago i was at a sporting goods store in Elkins, WV to buy shotgun primers for my Nonel demolition shooter. Met a guy there with a couple fingers missing. He claimed the muzzleloader went off while loading because of embers in the bore. After the guy left, others in the store said they had warned him many times not to cap the gun before loading.

Got back into muzzleloading in 1999 after a 20+ year absence. After nearly 50 years of doing Explosive Ordnance Disposal work i have all my fingers and most teeth. But my hearing is shot at age 75.

Can embers in the bore cause black powder to ignite while loading? Yes, it can. It's a big problem with cannon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 18th 2015, 8:16 am

Randy...... I never stopped blowing down the barrel. I never did see the danger in doing it after the shot is fired. I do it for three reason.

Keep the fouling soft.

Put out any embers.

Watch the smoke blow out the nipple/touch hole to show me it's clear for the next shot.

I shoot at a range that is self policed. No other shooter has ever said anything to me. For ranges that don't allow blowing down the barrel they will usually allow you to use a tube so your face isn't over the muzzle.

If they didn't allow the tube to be used. I'd go somewhere else. I consider blowing down the barrel a  safety procedure. Not a hazard like some think it is.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 18th 2015, 8:26 am

Pete...the side lock guys at my club use a can of air with a nozzle that come with can...they put nozzle in nipple and give a quick shot of air...said a can lasts a long time for 4.99 a can...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14691
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 18th 2015, 8:56 am

Most places will allow the use of a rubber hose that you can put into your bore and blow down it that way.

As for 80 shots, I can't do that yet unless its with Blackhorn209! But even then, wet lubes greatly clean out the fouling after each shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 18th 2015, 8:57 am

AI......Not sure that would be the same? Your breath has a lot of moisture in it. That's what keeps the fouling soft. Especially, for Colorado which has low humidity.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 18th 2015, 9:45 am

Ok I see....its humid here in the spring an summer so maybe thats the difference...

so like Jon said..get a piece of silicone aquarium hose insert into barrel and blow in...that would work...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 18th 2015, 10:01 am

I already mentioned the tube in my first post. I would if I got a hard time at my range. Truth is I rarely go to the range. Just when I need a bench to sight in. I have lots of places to shoot that are just a few minutes away. We can shoot anywhere in the national forest here, and i'm surrounded by it. So, i'll continue to blow down the barrel.

If i go to a BP shoot, and they don't like it. I'll use a tube.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 18th 2015, 1:42 pm

I usually blow down the barrel after each shot to extinguish any embers and to keep the touch hole clear.  As far as swabbing goes I don't swab during my usual 30 to 50 shot sessions at the range.  If loading starts to become difficult then I will do it but usually not otherwise.

As long as I shoot a fairly tight load and use Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube, spit or something like "Black Solve" the bore stays only "one shot dirty".
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 18th 2015, 6:12 pm

A trick that I used, is to take the ramrod out after the shot and drop it down the barrel, read that it was a good way to extinguish any embers, it will also push smoke out the nipple. But the last couple of times I went to the range I tried blowing down the barrel, because I had heard for years it would soften the fouling, tried and I must agree, it does.

It makes loading easy, And I never gave it any thought that it was unsafe, but I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed, just in the shed. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 18th 2015, 8:16 pm

Nobody has ever explained to me why it's dangerous. I guess the idea is you don't want to get in the habit of putting your face over the muzzle, but good grief. We have a brain, and know the difference.

It sure seems safer than not blowing, and having the powder go off when you drop it down the bore, or worse. Have it go off while loading the ball.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 19th 2015, 4:08 am

Muley wrote:
Nobody has ever explained to me why it's dangerous. I guess the idea is you don't want to get in the habit of putting your face over the muzzle, but good grief. We have a brain, and know the difference.

It sure seems safer than not blowing, and having the powder go off when you drop it down the bore, or worse. Have it go off while loading the ball.
On one of my trips through the woodswalk at Friendship, the guy doing the scoring said he was behind the rules change. He told a story of a guy on the regular line/main range, having a misfire, not realizing it, and sticking his mouth over a still loaded gun to blow down the barrel. If there had been a delayed ignition (it happens) the results would have been tragic. I guess under some circumstances, small caliber, other guns going off around you, bad hearing made worse by ear plugs that block out almost everything, such a thing IS possible, and in that light I can see the logic of the change. Most of the time of course you are going to know that you had a snap of a cap or a flash in the pan. It's a rule that I originally thought was stupid that I have learned to live with if not completely embrace. At lot of my shooting is at matches where NMLRA rules are observed and so I practice not blowing down the barrel even when shooting at gongs behind the barn.
In over forty years of shooting muzzleloaders, I have heard two accounts of guns going off while being loaded long after the last shot had been fired. In one case it was over fifteen minutes. We are playing a game where we regularly place important body parts near the business end of a loaded firearm. You can't be too careful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 19th 2015, 8:19 am

I never put my mouth to the barrel. I always use my jag-applied ramrod and push it down with a little force, about 10-15 seconds after I shoot. Then if I'm hunting, I wait another minute or two before reloading. If I'm at the range, I wait enough time for barrel-cool-down, unless its' only my 2nd shot at the range. Then I only wait 2-3 minutes before reloading the 2nd shot, after running the jag-applied ramrod down the barrel 10-15 seconds after my 1st shot.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 19th 2015, 8:25 am

@Randy Johnson wrote:
Muley wrote:

On one of my trips through the woodswalk at Friendship, the guy doing the scoring said he was behind the rules change. He told a story of a guy on the regular line/main range, having a misfire, not realizing it, and sticking his mouth over a still loaded gun to blow down the barrel. If there had been a delayed ignition (it happens) the results would have been tragic. I guess under some circumstances, small caliber, other guns going off around you, bad hearing made worse by ear plugs that block out almost everything, such a thing IS possible, and in that light I can see the logic of the change. Most of the time of course you are going to know that you had a snap of a cap or a flash in the pan. It's a rule that I originally thought was stupid that I have learned to live with if not completely embrace. At lot of my shooting is at matches where NMLRA rules are observed and so I practice not blowing down the barrel even when shooting at gongs behind the barn.
In over forty years of shooting muzzleloaders, I have heard two accounts of guns going off while being loaded long after the last shot had been fired. In one case it was over fifteen minutes. We are playing a game where we regularly place important body parts near the business end of a loaded firearm. You can't be too careful.
So, that's two cases that went off by not blowing. (there's way more than that) Any cases that hurt anybody by blowing?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 19th 2015, 11:28 am

Some ranges and groups have rules against blowing down the barrel.  If I'm in such a situation I obey all the rules including the one forbidding the blowing down the barrel.  However, IMHO, this rule is basically aimed at the inexperienced, the careless and the idiots.  A muzzleloading gun has one shot and cannot fire a second shot unless reloaded.  If one pays any attention at all to what he/she is doing - and they absolutely should be doing that, and if not they should stay at home and knit - one knows when the gun fires.  I KNOW when my gun fires and proceed accordingly.  As far as the "never put any part of your body in front of the muzzle" goes, one always has body parts in front of the muzzle during reloading.  When in Rome, I do as the Romans do; otherwise I do as I reasonably see fit.
Back to top Go down
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 19th 2015, 11:37 am

I would be in trouble at a range that forbids it. It's an ingrained habit now, and i'm sure i'd do it without thinking, and get busted.

I shoot, wipe the muzzle with my hand, and blow down it. I've never accidentally done it at any other time.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huntin_Dawg1215

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   February 22nd 2015, 7:50 am

I am new at blowing down the barrel, i have only done it after the gun went off, haven't had the miss fire yet. Well have to remember to keep my head in the game.

Or just quit before it becomes a learn behavior.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackpowder

Male Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-06-25

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   March 3rd 2015, 6:07 pm

Muley wrote:
Randy...... I never stopped blowing down the barrel. I never did see the danger in doing it after the shot is fired. I do it for three reason.

Keep the fouling soft.

Put out any embers.

Watch the smoke blow out the nipple/touch hole to show me it's clear for the next shot.

I shoot at a range that is self policed. No other shooter has ever said anything to me. For ranges that don't allow blowing down the barrel they will usually allow you to use a tube so your face isn't over the muzzle.

If they didn't allow the tube to be used. I'd go somewhere else. I consider blowing down the barrel a  safety procedure. Not a hazard like some think it is.

same here. been doing it for 35 years, not going to change now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   March 3rd 2015, 6:15 pm

Well said, Muley.  It IS a safety precaution and NOT a danger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "without wiping"   

Back to top Go down

"without wiping"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: