Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

HOW TO BEND A WEDGE KEY?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cowboys1062

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2015-02-15

PostSubject: HOW TO BEND A WEDGE KEY?   February 22nd 2015, 7:18 pm

Earlier this month I was in the process of trying to bend in the barrel lug of my Great Plains Rifle trying to fit the wedge key. I was following the Owners Manuels suggestions saying to tap in the barrel lug. The front barrel lug went in ok and was able to fit the wedge key. When I started to hit the rear barrel lug, I broke it completely off the rifle! I sent the barrel back into Lyman to either have them reinstall the rear barrel lug or replace the barrel. I learned my lesson about trying to bend barrel lugs! I have heard through other forums about bending the Wedge Key to make them fit. Has anyone tried this and if so, how do you bend the wedge key to make them fit? Respectfully, cowboys1062.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15274
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO BEND A WEDGE KEY?   February 22nd 2015, 7:21 pm

I normally take 2 small sections of 2x4 and put the key across the 2 with a gap between the middle and then use a round punch and smack it in the center. Careful, it doesnt take a whole lot to tighten that fit up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO BEND A WEDGE KEY?   February 22nd 2015, 7:36 pm

I always wondered about that when I saw Lyman's instructions.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15274
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO BEND A WEDGE KEY?   February 22nd 2015, 7:42 pm

It works though Pete, I do it that way on my CVA's when they need it. Im not sure how lyman attaches theirs as my memory on them is bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
cowboys1062

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2015-02-15

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO BEND A WEDGE KEY?   February 22nd 2015, 10:53 pm

The Barrel Lugs on the Lyman Great Plains Rifles barrels are welded on in Italy and then sent in to the U.S. I checked in on this through Lyman Corp. Invest Arms. in Italy make the muzzleloaders for Lyman which includes: Great Plains, Trade Rifle, and Deerstalker. The main Corporation HQ is in Middletown CT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO BEND A WEDGE KEY?   February 23rd 2015, 7:10 am

Yes, InvestArms makes the Lyman guns. They used to make the guns for Cabelas too, but Cabelas has now switched to Pedersoli.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO BEND A WEDGE KEY?   February 23rd 2015, 8:44 am

I use the vise for bending the keys. I put the plain end in the vise about 1/2" and put a soft wood block (1"x2") against the head end and tap the wood with a fairly heavy ball peen hammer until I get a slight bend. Most of the time I have to insert it farther into the vise to get the bend where I want it. Insert the key with the bend towards the bottom.

I have done the slot on the barrels too but it makes me real nervous. I just use the hammer's edge and give it a weak rap in the center until I see it bowed down slightly. It doesn't take much of a rap to get it to bend.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mad Irish Jack O'Donnell

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2015-01-29

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO BEND A WEDGE KEY?   February 23rd 2015, 7:29 pm

confused Light Bulb  If you're worried about losing the wedge, buy or make a slotted wedge pin. Steel or brass can be cut with a small metal cutting wheel on Dremel tool. Cut the slot from both the top and bottom of the wedge. Dress up both ends of the slot with a diamond grinding tip that will fit the cut slot. To install it, remove the escoution (sp) plate. Cut a small, shallow  groove/channel perpendicular to the wedge opening within the inlet area. Take a small brad nail (one for each slot) and cut it to length to fit under the escoution (sp) plate. Hold the wedge, inserting edge up, and place the escoution (sp) plate over it; then place the brad/pin in the slot and on the plate. Carefully place this wedge assembly into the slot so the pin falls into the groove and fit the plate back into the inlet and screw in place. When the wedge is now pulled to free the barrel, it will remain with the stock. If it vibrates or otherwise comes loose, it still stays with the stock. The wedges can be a little soft so the won't snap from bending attemps to tighten. It helps to heat the wedges to soften the metal before cutting them and they'll bend easier with less chance of breaking from being brittle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO BEND A WEDGE KEY?   

Back to top Go down

HOW TO BEND A WEDGE KEY?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: