Share | 

Getting a new GPR barrel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cowboys1062

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2015-02-15

PostSubject: Getting a new GPR barrel   February 27th 2015, 10:22 pm

Last month I broke off the rear barrel lug while trying to fit the wedge keys to the barrel on my GPR. Lymans owners manuel states on pg.21(Fitting Wedge Pins) to take a round steel dowl and place it on top of the barrel lug and then tap it with a hammer until the barrel lug bends in thus createing a tight wedge key fit. I tried this on the front barrel lug and it seemed to work. The wedge key fit snugg. I then tried to do this to the rear barrel lug and in the process I completely broke off the rear barrel lug from the barrel. The problem is that Lyman welds their lugs onto their barrels at the Invest Arms Factory in Italy! I called Lyman and they told me to send my barrel in to them. I got an email from Lyman today saying that since they could not reattach the barrel lug at their factory in Connecticut they were going to send me a new barrel! Lymans service tech. also told me how they adjust their wedge keys at the factory. He told me when I get my new barrel back to place it into the stock and then tighten the two tang bolts and that would lift the barrel a little from the stock and that should create a tight fit of the wedge keys. He also said that if the keys are then to tight, just let off the two tang bolts a turn or two and that should fix the problem! Even though their owners manuel says to bend in the barrel lugs to tighten the wedge keys, he told me not to do it and also not to bend the wedge keys to make them fit. He said if I do it how they do it at the factory I should have no problems. Just a good to know trick that they use to tighten wedge keys! Respectfully, cowboys 1062.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14469
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Getting a new GPR barrel   February 27th 2015, 10:28 pm

I replied on the other forum about this. It is not the correct way and will hurt accuracy and could damage your stock under recoil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
cowboys1062

PostSubject: Re: Getting a new GPR barrel   February 28th 2015, 7:01 am

FrontierGander, I replied to your post on the other forum and agree with your opinion. I dont know why Lymans service tech. would have me mess with the tang bolts to tighten the wedge keys on the barrel? Like I posted in the other forum, when the new barrel arrives I will see if the wedge keys fit. If they do not, I will put a slight bend in the wedge keys until I get a proper fit. I will not in any way mess with the tang or tang bolts! I will not bend in the barrel lugs either like their owners manuel suggests. That is what got me into trouble in the first place! Respectfully, cowboys 1062.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9491
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Getting a new GPR barrel   February 28th 2015, 8:14 am

I've had 4 GPR's, and they always came with the barrel pulled off the stock by the tang. That's not right, and I shimmed the tang so the barrel would sit on the stock with no tension.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1302
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Getting a new GPR barrel   February 28th 2015, 9:36 am

Yep, the Lyman guy has it wrong. i've seen stocks that were cracked by folks forcing the barrel into the channel. It don't take much force to bust the stock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cowboys1062

PostSubject: Re: Getting a new GPR barrel   March 1st 2015, 9:26 pm

When I got the GPR the owners manuel also stated to also file the escutcheons hang up on the inside of the left side escutcheon. It said to take a small jewelers file to remove material from the top slot in which the wedge pin slides through. Bottom line is I also filed to much of the escutcheons. Dumb move on my part! I now have a new barrel coming in from Lyman. I ordered 4 new escutcheons, and 2 new wedge keys. Im going to put this altogether and hopefully the wedge keys will fit snug! I will not mess with the tang or tang bolts. If wedge keys are still to loose, I will Tap then check, Tap then check, and so on until I get a snug fit. Thank You all for the great advice! It gave me alot of options to think about and I am sure I am making the right choice. Respectfully, cowboys 1062.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9491
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Getting a new GPR barrel   March 2nd 2015, 7:04 am

Pretty sad the guns aren't built right from the factory.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5182
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Getting a new GPR barrel   March 2nd 2015, 11:27 am

Lyman's quality and customer service has gone downhill in the last 5 years .. same as Remington's.

I had a die set from Lyman that was not to tolerances. I got tired of writing them about it .. never got a response.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting a new GPR barrel   

Back to top Go down

Getting a new GPR barrel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: