Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

.45 CALIBER PELLETS…"Weight-Variations" Test

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: .45 CALIBER PELLETS…"Weight-Variations" Test   March 6th 2010, 7:38 pm

Pictured Left to Right: Pyrodex 30 grain Pellet, 50 grain Triple Se7en Pellet, 50 grain Pyrodex Pellet
NOTE: The Pellets are sold as grain volume equivalents.

I decided to do a little “quality control” check of my own on some .45 caliber Pellets I have to see how much variation in weight there is among individual pellets. I randomly grabbed 25 pellets of the Pyrodex .45 caliber 30 grain Pellets, 25 of the Pyrodex .45 caliber 50 grain Pellets, and 25 of the Triple Se7en .45 caliber 50 grain Pellets. I used a Salter Brecknell Digital Reloading Scale (Model CB50) to weigh the pellets which was calibrated before weighing each of the three groups of Pellets. Accuracy of the scale is (+/-) 0.3 grains. Here were the results:

PYRODEX 30 Grain Pellets: Average(mean) of 25 = 25.4 grains
* Standard Deviation(SD) = 0.552 grains
Variance of SD = 0.305
Lowest Value = 23.9 grains
Highest Value = 26.2 grains
High-Low Spread = 2.3 grains

PYRODEX 50 Grain Pellets: Average(mean) of 25 = 40.6 grains
* Standard Deviation(SD) = 0.444 grains
Variance of SD = 0.197
Lowest Value = 39.6 grains
Highest Value = 41.4 grains
High-Low Spread = 1.8 grains

TRIPLE SE7EN 50 Grain Pellets: Average(mean) of 25 = 32.4 grains
* Standard Deviation(SD) = 0.296 grains
Variance of SD = 0.088
Lowest Value = 31.8 grains
Highest Value = 32.9 grains
High-Low Spread = 1.1 grains

The 30 grain pellets showed the greatest high-Low Spread. These pellets are sold in 100-count quantities, and are packed “loose” in their container. Both 50 grain pellets are sold in 50-count quantities, but each individual pellet in both containers has a separate compartment within the container itself to minimize movement.

* DEFINITIONS:(SD): Shows how much “variation” there is from the "average" (mean). A low standard deviation indicates that the data points tend to be very close to the mean, whereas high standard deviation indicates that the data are spread out over a large range of values. The Standard Deviation(SD) is simply derived from taking the square root of the Variance. In the math world of statistics, squaring makes each term positive(+) so that values above mean do not cancel values below the mean.

Last edited by Marty on March 8th 2010, 3:17 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added Definitions)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick

Male Number of posts : 920
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: .45 CALIBER PELLETS…"Weight-Variations" Test   March 7th 2010, 8:03 am

That is an interesting post to say the least, nice job.

I went to Cabela's yesterday to get that scale I decided on and they didn't have it. I might have to order it online.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whitetailwoods.blogspot.com
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3699
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: .45 CALIBER PELLETS…"Weight-Variations" Test   March 7th 2010, 8:16 am

Cool Surprised

Thanks for the info Exclamation Exclamation Always helpfull when trying out new powders or pellets cheers cheers

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ceader savage

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: .45 CALIBER PELLETS…"Weight-Variations" Test   June 15th 2010, 7:44 am

yes but there to weight 50 gr not 40?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marty
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: .45 CALIBER PELLETS…"Weight-Variations" Test   June 15th 2010, 7:43 pm

@ceader savage wrote:
yes but there to weight 50 gr not 40?

The 50 grain pellets are sold as 50 grain VOLUME equivalents. I "weighed" them to see if there were any variations between individual pellets...hence the lower grain numerical values by "weight" in grains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1435
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: .45 CALIBER PELLETS…"Weight-Variations" Test   September 24th 2013, 3:40 pm

Marty: Thanks for the good information.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: .45 CALIBER PELLETS…"Weight-Variations" Test   September 24th 2013, 3:48 pm

It took you 3 years to say thanks?  clown

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: .45 CALIBER PELLETS…"Weight-Variations" Test   September 24th 2013, 5:20 pm

Marty, you must be an engineer to care enough to do all those measurements. Razz

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: .45 CALIBER PELLETS…"Weight-Variations" Test   

Back to top Go down

.45 CALIBER PELLETS…"Weight-Variations" Test
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: