Share | 

shot the .54 Bobby Hoyt barrel today

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dbowling

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: shot the .54 Bobby Hoyt barrel today   March 22nd 2015, 9:34 pm

Fired it 10 times with the 535 gr.No Excuses, the 1st 5 to get it sighted to center was with 90 gr. FFFG Goex at 40 yds standing off shooting sticks... let me tell you with this gun being about a pound lighter with the barrel shortned to 19 in. and bored from .50 to .54 its not for the faint of heart with 90 gr. of triple F...after those 5 switched to 80 gr. still stiff but not near as brutal...at 40 yds off sticks it shot the 2nd group of 5 into about 3 in. all center around a 2 in. dot..nothing to get excited about yet but thats with only 10 shots on barrel and no real load experimenting yet...its definetly going to be a deer thumper, carries like a dream and points great...only thing is the fiber optic front sight needs to be changed as Ive got rear sight maxed out on height at 40 yds.. more to come later, will post some group pics once I get it broken in more and a load developed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5410
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: shot the .54 Bobby Hoyt barrel today   March 23rd 2015, 7:47 am

Drop down to 80 gr. of 2F and see if it's more manageable. I hate a lot of recoil, it makes me flinch.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

Male Number of posts : 9568
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: shot the .54 Bobby Hoyt barrel today   March 23rd 2015, 8:08 am

I shot that same bullet in a New Englander. Not fun.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: shot the .54 Bobby Hoyt barrel today   March 23rd 2015, 8:33 am

yeah with 90 gr. its right up there in the 3 in. 12 ga. slug range,after 5 shots my shoulder had a red welt on it...I will have to get some 2F all Ive got is 3f right now, guess I could drop down to 65-70 grs. in 3f... only problem is my poa keeps going down with lower powder charges and my sight is maxed on height...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: shot the .54 Bobby Hoyt barrel today   March 23rd 2015, 8:47 am

I was using 80-90gr of Olde Enysford. It has a much sharper recoil than regular Goex. It reminds me of T7. Swiss is similar.

As I remember it. I went back to a PRB.  Very Happy

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: shot the .54 Bobby Hoyt barrel today   March 23rd 2015, 9:41 am

This gun is going to be a short range thumper so if I have to drop to 65 gr. of 3f it will be fine out to 50-60 yds which is probably farther then I will be shooting it in the woods...going to be used to hunt in really thick cover.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw

PostSubject: Re: shot the .54 Bobby Hoyt barrel today   March 23rd 2015, 9:46 am

Most all my hunting is like that. Sure makes using open sights a lot easier.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbowling

PostSubject: Re: shot the .54 Bobby Hoyt barrel today   March 23rd 2015, 11:09 am

I just took it out and shot 5 shots again this time with 75 gr. of 3f Goex and after those 5 shots my shoulder is a giant red welt, so its getting a Sims recoil pad as soon as I can make it to the gunshop..still shooting the almost exact same size group about the size of a softball at 40 yds off sticks standing.. did have 2 shots clustered together low on bull and 2 more together just above that group and one off to the left by itself, so might be tightning up some..good thing I shot it when I did as it just started pouring down rain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shot the .54 Bobby Hoyt barrel today   

Back to top Go down

shot the .54 Bobby Hoyt barrel today
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: