HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

powder coated the receiver of my shotgun

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
corey012778

Male Number of posts : 2309
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   March 30th 2015, 4:52 pm

Quick note: these is the first time I have powder coated something other then bullets.

the set up, crafts men powder coat gun, harbor freight black powder coat. a bolt and two nuts with a copper wire to hang the part to bake. an old oven to bake, foil to keep the powder from getting inside  the receiver

the bolt was way smaller then the stock bolt so I used an nut both on the outside and inside to hold the receiver running the copper wire touching the inside receiver.
cleaned with acetone.

finish cooling, white is a little dust

ended up coating twice, must of rubbed some powder off when I was moving it to the oven the first time.

all and all, i think I did a good job for my first try at powder coating something other then bullets

bad monkey  :wow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drummy

Male Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2011-12-31

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   March 30th 2015, 5:12 pm

Looks good. Nice job

T/C Big Boar .58 Cal 
T/C Hawken .54, .50, .45, .40,
T/C New Englander 12 Ga. ?
Lyman GPH .54 Cal
Pedersoli Kentucky .32 Cal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14469

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   March 30th 2015, 5:30 pm

Shocked thats super clean! I'd give yourself a pat on the back for that one Corey! I'd let you powder coat my parts any day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
corey012778

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   March 30th 2015, 5:36 pm

there are some places that you can tell I had to do a second time, only up close.

I can not do any thing larger then the oven shown

I go the perfect color for you Jon
http://www.powderkegcoatings.com/product/neonpinkpowdercoat lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador
Site
Site

Number of posts : 5182
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   March 30th 2015, 7:17 pm

Use it on the Jeep's wheels, Jon. Pink wheels look real good on a purple Jeep. Shocked

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corey012778

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   March 30th 2015, 8:00 pm

purple jeep, really need to catch up. sounds like something my wife would drive

Back to top Go down
View user profile
corey012778

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   March 30th 2015, 10:16 pm

next challenge, the forearm nut. started cleaning it with oven cleaner but could not get the lip cleaned. I ended up putting in a heavy citric acid solution in my sonic cleaner for about 20mins.
finished with 320 wet/dry sand paper to help the coating to stick. I am going to coat tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
corey012778

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   April 1st 2015, 2:49 pm

I ended up polishing out the slide bars, shell carrier (the amount you would see) bolt and bolt carrier. 5 hours with an dermal.

getting to the finish line on these project. the receiver fell off where I was storing it and chipped in a few spots. also have to hand polish some parts of the receiver as well. that will be fun

Back to top Go down
View user profile
corey012778

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   April 3rd 2015, 2:44 pm

well it is 95% done, need to do something with the barrel, fix a humm, foul up oh the stock, and I lost an part that I feel like I need, the safety, the whole thing. have it on order.

oops not good

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14469

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   April 3rd 2015, 2:48 pm

Looks really good! I agree, get that safety replaced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
corey012778

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   April 3rd 2015, 3:02 pm

most likely be like every other part I thought I had to replace, after I ordered it or it came in I find it
lost- forearm nut- ordered a new one - 5mins later found it.

lost follower - ordered a low drag and wolf spring set (cheaper then just the follower) - found after putting it all together

lost safety - ordered a new set (may have been able to call mossberg and get a free one don't know) - still looking for the old one.

thinking of making a slide release extension of sometype. a pivot style attached to the stock itself.   I have problems with reaching it now with the pistol grip.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
corey012778

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   April 3rd 2015, 3:14 pm

son of a _________, found the safe. I did put in a bag for safe keeping, not the bag with all of the parts for the gun. I put in a bag that I am storing my blank rear sites and extra tang screws in.

someone pass me a V8 headslap

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: powder coated the receiver of my shotgun   

Back to top Go down

powder coated the receiver of my shotgun
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-