Share | 

CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
duckduckgoose

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-04-08

PostSubject: CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk   April 8th 2015, 10:55 am

I am new to the site as well as Muzzleloading!  After some research I have decided on the CVA Accura V2 for my first muzzleloader.  I would love some suggestions for powder and bullets that have been successful for you guys from this rifle.  I will hopefully be heading to Colorado for Elk this fall and need to get some serious range time in.  Only loose powder allowed down there, and no Sabots.  Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
biddler2

Male Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2011-11-14

PostSubject: Re: CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk   April 8th 2015, 1:16 pm

Welcome to the site!  For powder must suggestions will be Blackhorn 209, it will require a modified breech plug but is well worth it. For CO several members like the Thor bullets as it is a Barnes bullet with a skirt. Availability is the only issue with the Thors but you can find his information in the projectile section.

Klondike Jim

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2015-02-03

PostSubject: Re: CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk   April 8th 2015, 1:57 pm

duckduckgoose wrote:
I am new to the site as well as Muzzleloading!  After some research I have decided on the CVA Accura V2 for my first muzzleloader.  I would love some suggestions for powder and bullets that have been successful for you guys from this rifle.  I will hopefully be heading to Colorado for Elk this fall and need to get some serious range time in.  Only loose powder allowed down there, and no Sabots.  Thanks!

I too am new to the muzzleloader world.  The guys on this site know what they are talking about when it comes to most everything.  Like the Blackhorn 209 powder.  That stuff is great.  I shot 23 shots from my CVA AccuraV2 with no swabbing or cleaning.  Like Biddler2 said, get a BH209 QRBP and have fun.  Contact Carlos from the Blackhorn store in the forums and he can get you what you need for practice and hunting in CO. You may want to get hold of some Lanes tubes for faster reloading.  You can find him here also.  Good Luck..

CVA Accura V2 .50 Cal. W/Nitride Barrel, Thumbhole stock and Fiber Optic Sights
Retired United States Air Force
Life Member Disabled American Veterans 
Life Member North American Hunting Club
and last but not least Grandfather 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3701
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk   April 8th 2015, 2:04 pm

cheers cheers
WELCOME ABOARD ND Exclamation Exclamation 
Great place to hang out and have a good time as well as learning about muzzle loading. You'll get plenty or info and opinions and suggestions. Read them all and then decide whats good for you and especially what your V2 likes.
Considering you can't use a sabot I would check into the POWER BELT BULLETS. They have a 300 grain AERO LITE AND A 338 GRAIN I think in a platinum bullet. I use Blach horn 209, 110 grains by volume and Fiocchi primers.
Im sure you'll get more info and GOOD LUCK Exclamation 

Ray................ Shooter

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING   

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GregK

Male Number of posts : 3053
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk   April 8th 2015, 9:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. The THOR bullet is an excellent choice when you can't use sabots. You can just google THOR bullets & you'll find the link. There are different sizes for different size bores & Terry will send you a free sizing kit so you can find out what diameter you need. He & his wife are great people to deal with. For Elk, my preference would be the 300 grain offering.
The next choice would be using a .500 diameter bullet & knurling it between two files & then setting it on top of a felt wad  & shooting what's commonly referred to as "sabotless"  The FTX .500/300 is a great choice for this.
As for everything that you'll need.....other than the THOR's you'll want to get from Carlos (including your gun if you haven't gotten it yet) The shop number is 910-692-7936
Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, just yell.

Greg

McRem 40cal SML

LEUPOLD 4-12X40 VX-R 30mm, CDS, FIRE DOT
CEB 40/240, 76gr IMR 4895
2600 ft/s

CVA APEX .358 SML & .45 ML
LUEPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R CDS, FIRE DOT, WIND PLEX

Knight Mountainer LTD
45cal / 1-20 twist
LEUPOLD 4-12X50 VX-R 30mm WIND PLEX CDS FIREDOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk   April 9th 2015, 4:48 pm

duckduckgoose wrote:

Sorry for taking so long to get to this one! My allergies have been killing me the past 2 days Evil or Very Mad

The Accura V2 is an excellent Colorado gun!

Powder: Blackhorn209
Primers: CCI, CCI Magnum, Federal 209A or Winchester W209.
Breech plug: Upgrade to either CVA's Blackhorn209 breech plug or www.Blackhorn209.com breech plug. The western powders breech plug includes a cleaning tool which is a great addition!
Bullets: 250-300gr THOR, 350gr Hornady FPB, 270gr Federal B.O.R conicals. The Thors and Federals would be my top choices. The Thor conicals and the Federals are 100% copper and will not fragment on heavy bone.

As Greg said, go to www.thorbullets.com and email them your name/address and request a free sizing sample. You can also custom size them yourself which is my preferred way for a perfect fit. Very simple to do. A heads up, Thor normally sells out of the 300 grain version by early August so its important to ORDER fast as soon as they are in stock and have them on hand for hunting season.

Welcome to the forum as well! Good to have a fellow Colorado hunter here with us.

Jonathan
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
duckduckgoose

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-04-08

PostSubject: Re: CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk   April 9th 2015, 6:56 pm

Wow thanks for all the help guys. Amazing how sites like this have expanded and accelerated our ability to gain knowledge!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just One More

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-04-30

PostSubject: Re: CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk   June 8th 2015, 5:10 pm

Just a question , does anyone know offhand what size Thor bullet fits the best in the  Accura V2 ML ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk   June 8th 2015, 8:26 pm

No way of telling that. All of mine have taken the .500" thor, but I size them myself using this process,
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t6272-my-thors-are-to-small
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Just One More

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-04-30

PostSubject: Re: CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk   June 9th 2015, 10:04 am

Thanks Frontier Gander appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CVA ACCURA V2 for Elk