Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Tried some conicals in my long rifle.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Tried some conicals in my long rifle. Empty
PostSubject: Tried some conicals in my long rifle.   Tried some conicals in my long rifle. EmptyApril 8th 2015, 5:32 pm

I finally got around to doing some shooting today. I had my shorty Sile Hawken loaded with BH 209 and a 240 PT Gold since October. I shot the old load at 125 yds. and it was 5" high at one o'clock. I loaded another and it was within 3/4" of the first shot. I kept the same load of BH209 (60 gr. by weight) but substituted a 260 gr. PT Gold. It was 1" high at one o'clock.
I guess you can leave that powder loaded for quite awhile with no deterioration. It cleaned up good just like I loaded it all fresh today.

Then I took my .45 cal. flintlock with the 42" barrel and tried some 200 gr. REALs and 230 gr. Maxi-balls lubed with lard mixed with beeswax.

The Maxi-balls were erratic and 2 of them keyholed at 50 yds. The REALs, however, shot almost as good as the PRBs at 50 yds and weigh 70 gr. more.
I finished up with a string of .440  PRBs. At 50 yards they were in a 3-4" group (4 shots) but they opened up to 6" at 75 yds.
My old eyes can't focus on the front sight well enough to shoot that great beyond 50 yds.
I only had one pan flash with all the shooting and used a Rich Pierce chert flint throughout the series. It has about 40 shots on it now .. better than the English black flints I got from TOW.

I will shoot some more REALs along with the PRBs before I decide which to use for next deer season.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down

Tried some conicals in my long rifle.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: