Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

...... The .58 cal Hawken ........

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3699
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: ...... The .58 cal Hawken ........   April 13th 2015, 8:51 am

:rtup

Got my .58 cal Hawken out of the safe today and got her ready for the range. I found no rust or pitting because every 2 months or so I would oil all of them up inside and out. Looks as good as the day Jonathan finished working on it. Wink

I won't be going on a hog hunt this year but I intend on taking it with me during the hunting season this year. If the gods smile on me and I take a deer with my in line the first season, I will definitely use the hawken the remainder of the season this year and hope a deer walks within 50/60 yards.
At the range I'll be shooting Goex 2F, 60 grs. .015 or .018 patches I applied mink oil to and CCI Caps with a Hornady .570 L/B. For hunting the charge is 90 grains.
Hope the weather holds. GOOD SHOOTIN' EVERYONE Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation†MAKE LOT'S OF SMOKE :rtup

Ray............ t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING ††

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: ...... The .58 cal Hawken ........   April 13th 2015, 9:27 am

Bah! Use the .58 first, and when you get a deer, use it again.

Scoped inlines are for rifle seasons.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15274
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: ...... The .58 cal Hawken ........   April 13th 2015, 9:33 am

.018 - .018. 018!! Swab between shots, accuracy will be MUCH better my friend!

I still enjoyed that hog video, I watch it every other day LOL. And yes, I know I have to do a video, just waiting on a cd to arrive for installation drivers for the program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
hawgslayer
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Number of posts : 3699
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: ...... The .58 cal Hawken ........   April 13th 2015, 9:52 am

scratch
Pete,
You know you may have a real good point there. Light Bulb The deer won't be spooked on opening morning. scratch scratch scratch

Jonathan,†
I watch it every so often also. It was a fun hunt and I enjoyed playing with your camera. Well, when you get around to, you need to make 2 copies of the original. 1 for me and 1 for my friend George who did the camera work when I shot the boar.†
Thanks gents,
Ray............ t up

KEEPEM IN THE " 10 " RING ††

Semper Fi...... '66-'69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1028
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: ...... The .58 cal Hawken ........   April 13th 2015, 10:00 pm

Good hunting!
You fellows have really stirred my desire to get back into hunting. My busiest work time has been in the autumn, always during the hunting season. But now I am on a "transitional" retirement and work full time from January through May, but not at all during the fall! I think I am going to go after a muzzleloader license this year.
Problem is, it has been so long that I don't know the areas well. I will look at the stats that the State of Colorado provides.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: ...... The .58 cal Hawken ........   April 14th 2015, 7:20 am

@RonC wrote:
Good hunting!
You fellows have really stirred my desire to get back into hunting. My busiest work time has been in the autumn, always during the hunting season. But now I am on a "transitional" retirement and work full time from January through May, but not at all during the fall! I think I am going to go after a muzzleloader license this year.
Problem is, it has been so long that I don't know the areas well. I will look at the stats that the State of Colorado provides.
Ron
The draw is closed. You're only choice now are leftover tags for deer, and OTC tags for elk.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: ...... The .58 cal Hawken ........   April 14th 2015, 8:38 am

Quote :
Scoped inlines are for rifle seasons.

The Sportsman's Center at Ft. Sill thinks so too.† This year both weeks of Ft. Sill muzzleloader season will be conventional guns only.††No sabots, no scopes and no fire sights.† They also stopped the use of inlines in the shotgun slug only areas.†††

i'll† have a blast†stalking and stand hunting with†a New Englander.† †Might even shoot a deer if it's close to the road.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1028
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: ...... The .58 cal Hawken ........   April 14th 2015, 8:46 am

Muley wrote:
@RonC wrote:
Good hunting!
Ron
The draw is closed. You're only choice now are leftover tags for deer, and OTC tags for elk.
That just goes to show how little I know and remember nowadays about hunting seasons, Pete. The last time I went hunting in the USA was in the early 1990s.
Thanks for the info.
Ron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: ...... The .58 cal Hawken ........   April 14th 2015, 8:57 am

@RonC wrote:
Muley wrote:
@RonC wrote:
Good hunting!
Ron
That just goes to show how little I know and remember nowadays about hunting seasons, Pete. The last time I went hunting in the USA was in the early 1990s.
Thanks for the info.
Ron
†Well, that's been long enough. You need to get out there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ...... The .58 cal Hawken ........   

Back to top Go down

...... The .58 cal Hawken ........
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: