Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
able101

Male Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   April 29th 2015, 7:19 pm

The grains used, the bullet fired any other helpful information is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
ABLE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 14521
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   April 29th 2015, 7:22 pm

One that I love greaty, 80gr pyrodex RS - Select, 385gr hornady great plains. The Optima shoots them awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
olehunter

Male Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   April 29th 2015, 9:21 pm

Is the 385gr Hornady legal in Oregon because of the length ?? Thanks Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   April 29th 2015, 9:29 pm

bullet length is .860"
Back to top Go down
olehunter

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   April 29th 2015, 9:33 pm

Then no ,,,   .750
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   April 29th 2015, 9:35 pm

wow thats really short for a 50cal! I'd have to email them and ask what the hell bullet length has to do with anything LOL.  Colorado had the 1" long bullet rule for a 50cal but they finally got rid of that a couple years ago. These guys making up rules havent a clue what they are doing IMO.
Back to top Go down
olehunter

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   April 29th 2015, 9:38 pm

NO ,I was wrong ,,,,

Conical bullets made of lead, lead alloy, or federally-approved nontoxic shot material, with a length that does
not exceed twice the diameter; (c) Lead free copper conical bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter

So I can go to 1"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   April 29th 2015, 9:42 pm

oh okay, thats better then! Still a very stupid rule that limits projectile weight.
Back to top Go down
olehunter

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   April 29th 2015, 9:49 pm

Yes it is and Oregon is,, monkey see monkey,, do with California ,,they want to go lead free . So what is a federally approved a non toxic lead free bullet for our ML ..No plastic tips
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear Claw
Site
Site

Male Number of posts : 9489
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   April 30th 2015, 7:37 am

Thor.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
able101

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   May 4th 2015, 1:20 pm

Does any one else have any Synthetic powder loads and bullet combinations to share????

Thanks
ABLE101
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-53

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2014-12-09

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   May 4th 2015, 1:48 pm

if you go to range reports you will see lots of load combos and targets....for synthetic black powder I would say over 80% here shoot blackhorn 209 ...rest wiould be pellets or loose pyrodex or triple 7 loose...browse thru the range reports and see what you like....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
able101

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   May 7th 2015, 11:06 am

OK THANKS  I was thinking about inline synthetic experience here in the NW>
And yes your are right about BH209 but Idaho does not allow  during muzzleloader season.
ABLE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
olehunter

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   May 7th 2015, 4:46 pm

able101 wrote:
And yes your are right about BH209 but Idaho does not allow  during muzzleloader season.
ABLE

Being from the Northwest is like having to sit in the back of the bus and somebody up front whispering to you and you just cant quite here them ,,,, LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
able101

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   May 8th 2015, 10:09 pm

hello Frontier Grander,
Do you have any other load combinations for legal use here in the Northwest. I already know about working up for specific firearm. I am thinking about other powders and bullet combinations  such as 777 or pyrodex RS with various legal bullets????

Thanks
able101
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jacvet

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   June 12th 2015, 5:23 pm

New returnee. I live in California and I have a traditions Pioneer percussion .50 caliber I inherited from my brother recently. I am using 90 grains, by volumn, Triple 7, FFg powder with an approved 1% .451 caliber bullet by Magtech available at Midway for about $70.00 per hundred plus shipping, described as 45 auto SCHP. Bullet length 0.65 inches, with Thompson Center super glide sabots. 3 shot 50 yard group 0.75 inch. First time with this rifle. Completely legal in California. Also shot same powder charge and sabot with a Barnes .451 bullet for the 460 S&W part number 30554. This grouped at 1.0 inches at 50 yards. Both bullets were stable (no key holing) in a 1:48 twist barrel. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Long Shot

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   March 15th 2016, 2:42 pm

I use 60gr pyrodex P with a Hornady 240gr PA Conical in my 50cal. Works great on 2 whitetails this last season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   March 15th 2016, 7:45 pm

Cabela's Hawken. .54 caliber, with 1 in 48 twist, shooting .530 RB, patched with a .010 Wonder Lube patch.  I use 60 gr of FF Triple 7.

To reduce the effect of my poor eyesight, I shoot for groups at 25 yards.  

The combo above yields a 1" group.  Not great.  I fact it is pitiful!  But I suspect most that 1" is my eyes.  It's a blast just the same!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ljmelea

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-11-17

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   July 9th 2016, 9:04 pm

able101 wrote:
ABLE
I don't see anything in my regs other than loose synthetic blk powder,is legal ,thanks larryno pellets
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.   

Back to top Go down

I would really like to hear more range reports for synthetic black powder used.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: